• 4(current)
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies
I'm about to place an order for an Acer Aspire Revo now, the $199 one. I too would like to keep Windows (at least to begin with) for various reasons. I've been reading a lot about people using MPC as an external player. What does this mean exactly? Does it look any different? Is MPC still integrated into XBMC?

Play from rar is the only thing leaning me towards this versus WDTV Live. Basically, to keep things short, I want it to work as it does on my XBOX with the exception that it can do 720 and 1080p output. Is this a viable option? Is upgrading the ram necessary? I've been reading that a lot of people found it unnecessary.
Re step 1 (Adding another 1GB of RAM) That hasn't been a problem for me with my Revo 3610. I can happily play all 1080p stuff along with killa sample with 256 video RAM. I simply would not be gaining anything by adding another 1GB.

I'm running a current SVN and apart from it breaking after installing the latest Nvidia drivers (190.42 - fixed though so all good) I can happily confirm that everything works fine. I'm just waiting for my HP USB MCE remote to arrive from Kong Kong. Sad
Birtybasset,

Adding the extra gig is for the $199 model most likely, with the Atom 230 and 1 gig of ram. Your unit has the Atom 330 and 2 gigs of ram already right?

Vit
vitreous Wrote:Birtybasset,

Adding the extra gig is for the $199 model most likely, with the Atom 230 and 1 gig of ram. Your unit has the Atom 330 and 2 gigs of ram already right?

Vit

Nope, I bought the £149 Linux 160GB model and it only has 1GB RAm. Plus I can only select a maximum of 256 in the BIOS. AFAIK the only way to unlock 512 is by having 2GB RAM? code is 92.NVDYZ.UI0
Birtybasset Wrote:Nope, I bought the £149 Linux 160GB model and it only has 1GB RAm. Plus I can only select a maximum of 256 in the BIOS. AFAIK the only way to unlock 512 is by having 2GB RAM? code is 92.NVDYZ.UI0

The question is, if you have 4GB can you choose 1GB for the GPU Smile
Agro Wrote:The question is, if you have 4GB can you choose 1GB for the GPU Smile

I'll PM you my address so you can get some sent over for me to test. Wink

Oh yeah and while I remember, if anyone's interested, my system uses approx 24 watts at the wall. More RAM = more watts = Apocalypse = no XBMC. You do the math. Wink
is it better to do a minimalist-Linux install and then install the full blown XBMC or is it better to have the live version installed on the HD? I don't care about having a separate Windows partition (i.e. I won't be using Windows or another other OS with this box)
I just got mine and set it up according to the directions on Lifehacker. I was unable to get it to see my Kingston Data Traveler USB stick but I had a USB BRD drive so I set it up through that. It was sure nice to see XBCM start up. I have missed it since I went high def. I have some mkv files >20-30GB blur ray rips I ripped w MakeMKV and they played rather jerkily. They played the exact same both over network and when connected via USB. I also played some older DVD rips and they seemed a little dark. The sound was great. Much louder than the original XBMC on Xbox was. I will continue to tweak it over the next few days and may update.
Also, I am only getting option for 1080i. Could it possibly be due to the long HDMI cable (50') run and the connectors? I get other devices to give me 1080p but they have 1 fewer switch in the path. And can that even affect the availability options?

I am getting ready to add a GB RAM and see if that can correct the jitters. Over all I am impressed with this little device. It is the best out of the box XBMC player yet, if I can correct the jitters.
Hi
I have just followed the guide on setting xbmc up. I have used a R3160 with 4gb ram. I downloaded the iso from life hacker XBMC 9.04.1 r20654
However when i try to play a avi file or a mp3 the screen shows an x the restarts
I'm also getting some errors in my log file

ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the Context but it failed
ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the Context but it failed
ERROR: Unable to open audio mixer
can anyone let me know where i've gone wrong

Thanks
Never mind I have sorted it
it was the .asoundrc file I created it as a rtf file not a txt. now i have changed it it works
For some reason I can use FTP to see the folders and files but it won't let me copy anything over to the XBMC.
Agro Wrote:The question is, if you have 4GB can you choose 1GB for the GPU Smile
No. I just tried it tonight. I installed 2x2GB sticks of DDR2-667. Still only shows 512 for the buffer. On a related note. If I only put one of the 2GB sticks in I still had stutter issues with 1080p content. I wonder if it's a dual channel memory thing since others claim it works flawlessly with 2GB of RAM. All I can say for sure is that my Revo works great even with 1080p content with 4GB of DD2-667 memory.
justsl2 Wrote:I wonder if it's a dual channel memory thing since others claim it works flawlessly with 2GB of RAM.

It works flawlessly with 1GB RAM for me. I played killa sample last night and kept an eye on free memory and it had around 550MB free.
I can now FTP files over. I don't know why it wouldn't let me before.

Now the question is, how do we upgrade XBMC to a later build and/or how do I get Apple Movie Trailers plugin to work. I was able to get the SVN Installer running but it shows the movie trailer script as incompatible.

On a side note, the Remote Control I linked to in Post #36 works flawlessly out of the box, however I did have to plug in the dongle then reboot. Also, there is an iPod/iPhone remote app that works great over wifi.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies7