Screen doesn't unblank
If I finish watching something on XBMC, then go and watch something on another of the TV's inputs, eg: live TV, then later come back to XBMC to watch something else, the screen is black and stays that way until I forcibly restart XBMC (and the whole X session: it's set up as xbmc-standalone, so I need to log in with ssh and restart with sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart).

How can I get it so it won't do that?

I suspect the problem is the "Enable power saving when idle" setting in Screensaver, which was on. I've turned it off, and I'll report back myself later if that's all I needed to do. Opinions welcome on whether that's the right thing to do when connected to a TV. :-) But I'd have thought when the user interface is activated again (I know it was, I could hear its sound effects as I tapped on the iphone remote) it should know to wake up out of screen power saving.
Rachel Wrote:If I finish watching something on XBMC, then go and watch something on another of the TV's inputs, eg: live TV, then later come back to XBMC to watch something else, the screen is black and stays that way until I forcibly restart XBMC (and the whole X session: it's set up as xbmc-standalone, so I need to log in with ssh and restart with sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart).

How can I get it so it won't do that?

I suspect the problem is the "Enable power saving when idle" setting in Screensaver, which was on. I've turned it off, and I'll report back myself later if that's all I needed to do. Opinions welcome on whether that's the right thing to do when connected to a TV. :-) But I'd have thought when the user interface is activated again (I know it was, I could hear its sound effects as I tapped on the iphone remote) it should know to wake up out of screen power saving.

I'm guessing you're using Jaunty? This has been a problem for quite a few people - even with all of the power saving options and screensaver disabled, the monitor will still continue to blank. Here's what I've to done to fix it on my system -

1. Disable DPMS
xset s off
xset dpms 0 0 0
xset -dpms

2. Edit xorg.conf
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
edit the "ServerFlags" section to contain the following
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"

If you don't have the "ServerFlags" section, just add this

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "False"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

Hope this helps. Smile
Aenima99x Wrote:I'm guessing you're using Jaunty? This has been a problem for quite a few people - even with all of the power saving options and screensaver disabled, the monitor will still continue to blank. Here's what I've to done to fix it on my system -

(etc...)

Hope this helps. Smile

Actually, it seems just turning off the power save in xbmc screensaver settings was sufficient. Hours later i switch back to that av input and the screensaver (fanart slideshow) is still there...

But yes, it is jaunty. I'm guessing this is a slightly different issue; mine being that when it *did* powersave it wouldn't wake up the display again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen doesn't unblank0