XBMC+AAC+AC3Filter+Win7
This may have been asked before but,

Is there a way for xbmc to use AC3Filter instead of the internal decoder?

I've searched high and low for some answers, including using the dsplayer (which is discontinued).

The main reason is when I started to rip my movies, i used encoded to AAC audio.

My new A/V receiver (Onkyo tx-sr508) can decode DTS/AC3/TrueHD, and I'm starting to rip to ac3.

AAC in xbmc doesnt have a great surround sound, but sounds better in MPC (Media Player Classic) with ac3filter (I used the same file in both xbmc and mpc.

Thanks for any advice.

p.s. if this is posted in the wrong place, can it be moved by a mod.
MrLobster Wrote:Is there a way for xbmc to use AC3Filter instead of the internal decoder?

No, or at least no easy way. XBMC cannot use external codes.

There is a version of XBMC called DSPlayer that can use external codecs, but this is no longer being developed. It has a successor called DSCodec, but I think this is still at an early stage. Search this forum for more info.

JR
MrLobster Wrote:I've searched high and low for some answers, including using the dsplayer (which is discontinued).

The main reason is when I started to rip my movies, i used encoded to AAC audio.

My dvd library was encoded just like yours, using aac 5.1 encoding. I use the dsplayer branch and ffdshow audio decoder to re-encode in realtime to ac3 5.1. Did you have trouble setting that up for dsplayer?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC+AAC+AC3Filter+Win70