I'm brand new to all this so wondering what hardware I should buy?
Hi guys, Im brand new to all this upto now ive been using Tvix 6500a to watch 1080p mkv. Im now toying with purchasing an asrock 330 to replace it and prob go down the linux route (no nothing about linux)

So if you were about to purchase kit for first time what would you all recommend and can you point me in the right direction regards links/guides on how to get it up and running.

Ill be connecting it to a PJ and a onkyo amp and as i mentioned almost all files 1080p mkv's. Movies and music really is all ill use it for and open to changing my plans if anyone reckons im looking in wrong direction.

I know theres loads of info in forums but its almost like information overload i dont mind tweaking away to my hearts content but just could do with some pointers in right direction.

Your help would be appreciated.

cheers
I'd buy a Revo. Why build something when you can just buy a box that does it for you?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'd like to note that for 1080p playback, you *REALLY* need a dual-core Atom, in addition to the Ion. Especially for MKV-container video. A single Atom will not cut it, if you do your research (I was looking at reviews of the Revo). There will be a lot more Ion solutions towards the last quarter of this year (i.e. around September).

If you're really crazy, you can get a Zotac Iontix A-U or D-E board with dual-core Atom + Ion (the only difference between the two is one comes with a PSU [A-U]). It'll be a bit pricey, but you'll have more control over the build. I believe the Zotac Iontix is the only board out so far for dual-core Atom + Ion builds.

Hope that helps!
Rubbish. We were playing 1080p stuff (mkv, m2ts etc.) with a single core Atom at Linuxtag, with no problem whatsoever.

The CPU is inconsequential with respect to decoding the video. After all, someone here was playing back 1080p fine on an early Pentium 3.

The CPU may help with anything that you need CPU for, but to be quite honest, there's not a lot in XBMC that really needs more CPU once HD content is offloaded to the GPU.

Agreed that a dual core is a better option if you can get one, but it's a hell of a lot easier just to buy a box that has everything you need in it already. As it is now, the Revo is pretty much the only option available in that respect.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Thanks for info guys, So the Revo you reckon is better option as i thought the asrock 330 was also dual core but maybe my mistake.

I assume making sure i have 2 gig ram option would be the way to go as i mentioned on original post if someone could send me in the right direction regards what guides to look at regards setting up would be appreciated ive been wading through loads of posts and doesnt appear to be getting any clearer.

cheers
It is _an_ option, sure. It's only a single core, but is pretty cheap for what you get. Ask those on the forum what (if any) problems they have with it if you want to find out more info.

In the end, you have to decide for yourself whether it suits what you're after Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

biggranty - i was also recently in your position, i bought a REVO and an extra gig of RAM, its perfect for what i wanted, plays everything (1080p MKV) perfectly....

its silent and tiny and sit behind the tv stand out of sight, oh and really cheap, only £149.99

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'm brand new to all this so wondering what hardware I should buy?0