Anybody got spdif passthrough working with an Asus A8N-VM CSM board?
Hi all

I just built a media pc with an old Asus A8N-VM CSM board and an NVidia 9500GT graphics card (including HDMI and spdif passthrough). The motherboard has a spdif-out header which I have connected to the spdif input on the graphics card but I've had very little luck in getting any sound sent over HDMI via the spdif output. Mostly I just get a d..d..d..d..d..d..d..d sound when xbmc is running.

I've checked the mixer, updated ALSA and entered what seems to be a thousand command lines all to no avail. At this point I'm reluctant to spend more time on this issue, unless somebody here can confirm that they have managed to get audio out over spdif (from the mobo header) working with this board under ubuntu.

Assuming it is a lost cause can anybody recommend a cheap PCI sound card with an internal spdif out connector that definitely works under ubuntu + xbmc?
Damn, I meant to post this in the Linux subforum, please can a mod move it there.
Hey Geddon,

I have an ASUS M3N-H/HDMI motherboard, which has the onboard video, but I opted for a 9500GT ... I'm using the onboard SPDIF header to jumper accross to the new video card to allow for audio over HDMI.

Now, when I had the previous setup(with the onboard video), in the audio hardware settings I had to specify HDMI ... But since I used the new video card, I was getting weird sounds, so I changed it to IEC958, and then it worked.

Not sure if it's the same with yours, but maybe try that instead.
Thanks for the suggestion Gryph, I have tried it with iec958 but with no luck.

It's an older board and it seems like a lot of people had trouble getting even analogue sound to work when it was first released, it looks like digital passthrough might never have been solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anybody got spdif passthrough working with an Asus A8N-VM CSM board?0