Incomplete RAR set - "streaming" support?
Question 
Hello.

I'm a long time xbmc/xbox user/lover, and a bit of a dabbler in xbmc for windows/linux.

(you don't need to read this next paragraph)
I purchased a nice 46 inch sony hdtv a few months ago and have been trying to find a way to watch my HD content on it. Unfortunately my old xbmc/xbox isn't up to the task anymore. For a while I was converting my mkv's to mp4's with gotsent and watching them through my 360, which became quite a chore. So then I purchased a Popcorn Hour Media Player A-110, which delivered all the promises in the world, but delivered on very few. I miss the look, feel and versatility of xbmc, and how everything "just worked". So I'm purchasing an Acer Revo Nettop and putting XBMC Linux on it.

(you can begin reading from here)
I've been playing around with XBMC Live (v9.04) on one of my PC's and although the PC was too big and loud for my lounge room, everything seemed to be in order, except for playing back a rar set that was downloading.

Let me give you an example, back in my xbmc/xbox days I could start downloading a movie/tvshow from an ftp or newsgroups, provided that I started the .rar file first and then let it download a couple of files after that (.r00, .r01, to build up the cache/buffer), I could essentially "stream" the movie/tvshow whilst it was downloading. Although I lost the ability to skip forward & jump back, I could still pause and most importantly actually start watch it before it had completed downloading the entire thing. Sadly though, this ability seems to have been lost in translation to XBMC/Live. I can still watch movies from rar sets that have completely downloaded, no issues at all.

Did I miss a setting or something? I looked throughout XBMC and couldn't find anything, and I've searched the message board and was unable to find a solution to this.

Thanks Smile
I believe (and this is from memory only) that it's something to do with the demuxer we use versus the demuxer that is used on mplayer.

I think you'll find that if you play the file with dvdplayer on xbox, you'll get the same thing (i.e. it'll stop half way through or whatever).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Jonathan,

I can't find the option in xbmc/xbox to change between mplayer & dvdplayer, I think it's one of those options that is no longer available through the gui, and by default it plays through mplayer.

Does xbmc 9.04.1 for linux (and/or live) currently use dvdplayer by default? If so, is there an option to use mplayer instead?

"Streaming rar" support, as I like to call it, is such a crucial feature for me. Nothing like coming home from a day at work, putting a tv show on to download, sitting down with dinner and watching it. And not having to wait for the show to finish downloading.
markcleveland Wrote:I can't find the option in xbmc/xbox to change between mplayer & dvdplayer, I think it's one of those options that is no longer available through the gui, and by default it plays through mplayer.

Context Menu -> Play with...

Quote:Does xbmc 9.04.1 for linux (and/or live) currently use dvdplayer by default? If so, is there an option to use mplayer instead?

This has been asked many times. Short answer is no. Search for more info.

Quote:"Streaming rar" support, as I like to call it, is such a crucial feature for me. Nothing like coming home from a day at work, putting a tv show on to download, sitting down with dinner and watching it. And not having to wait for the show to finish downloading.

A patch would be most welcome! I suspect it's non-trivial, however, as otherwise it would have been done already, as it's been known for some time.

Cheers
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:A patch would be most welcome! I suspect it's non-trivial, however, as otherwise it would have been done already, as it's been known for some time.

Very much so, I was just under the false assumption that if it was capable on xbmc/xbox, it was capable for xbmc/linux/live. Thanks for all the info you've provided, you've been most helpful.

Regards,

Mark
markcleveland Wrote:Very much so, I was just under the false assumption that if it was capable on xbmc/xbox, it was capable for xbmc/linux/live. Thanks for all the info you've provided, you've been most helpful.

There is a way to play media inside of incomplete rar sets in XBMC "mainline", which I've documented (along with the differences between dvdplayer and mplayer behavior on the xbox), here :

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p...stcount=12

I'm trying to figure out where (tricks and tips? the wiki?) to post this info (and I'm going to look through the code) but there's the detail to which jmarshall referred. Smile

=darwin
PS - XBMC mainline is what I call XBMC-for-everything-but-the-Xbox.
What is "xbmc mainline"?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Incomplete RAR set - "streaming" support?0