Anyone interested in an XML Generator as a Web App for use with XBMC?
Question 
I've recently (for something to do) have been developing a web-app to generate xml files for use with xbmc. I'm currently only working on advancedsettings, and I'm not quite finished. It's proving to be a lot of work.

I guess my reason for posting is, is this something people would use? Would you like a site where you can use a friendly gui to set parameters, complete with descriptions of each, and hit a button to download the completed xml file?

If I don't get much of a response I'll probably scratch the project. Anyway, it's good practice for my web development.

Edit: I've finished the functionality for advancedsettings.xml, so it works. Tested on IE8 and Firefox 3.5. It uses javascript. Just keep in mind that at the time of posting this I haven't worked on graphics, very much layout, or parameter descriptions, but it works. Most settings start at default, and most (if not all) numerical values are confined to what xbmc accepts.

Link
rimsky82 Wrote:I've recently (for something to do) have been developing a web-app to generate xml files for use with xbmc. I'm currently only working on advancedsettings, and I'm not quite finished. It's proving to be a lot of work.

I guess my reason for posting is, is this something people would use? Would you like a site where you can use a friendly gui to set parameters, complete with descriptions of each, and hit a button to download the completed xml file?

If I don't get much of a response I'll probably scratch the project. Anyway, it's good practice for my web development.

Edit: I've finished the functionality for advancedsettings.xml, so it works. Tested on IE8 and Firefox 3.5. It uses javascript. Just keep in mind that at the time of posting this I haven't worked on graphics, very much layout, or parameter descriptions, but it works. Most settings start at default, and most (if not all) numerical values are confined to what xbmc accepts.

Link

Media Reader has an advancedsetting editor. Absolutely nobody uses it.
played with it briefly...
  • this is the web, everything should be single click instead of double.
  • new items added for some reason appears in order instead of order I added them. not intuitive... xbmc doesn't care what order it is in
  • you should try scraping the file all advanced settings are in once a day from the repo browser on SF instead of having everything hardcoded. Rarely updated hardcoded values guarantees no one will use it.
  • no way to remove tags
  • would be cool if it worked with pre-existing as.xml
  • would be more useful if it could run on xbmc's webserver. Do you know if it can? If so and you added the ability to scrape the repo (see above) you could make it so it shows only the items available on the revision and platform that XBMC is running.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:
  • this is the web, everything should be single click instead of double.
  • new items added for some reason appears in order instead of order I added them. not intuitive... xbmc doesn't care what order it is in
  • you should try scraping the file all advanced settings are in once a day from the repo browser on SF instead of having everything hardcoded. Rarely updated hardcoded values guarantees no one will use it.
  • no way to remove tags
  • would be cool if it worked with pre-existing as.xml
  • would be more useful if it could run on xbmc's webserver. Do you know if it can? If so and you added the ability to scrape the repo (see above) you could make it so it shows only the items available on the revision and platform that XBMC is running.

The single click thing I thought about, as simple as deleting three letters from the source. There's a long, drawn out reason why it started as dblclick that I won't waste your time with.

The order I thought about using scriptaculous to make them sortables, just hadn't gotten that far.

The scraping idea is a good one, but beyond what I've done so far. Don't think I'll be investing the time anytime soon.

You can remove tags by clicking on the setting in the left column.

Thought of importing existing xml, hadn't reached that point either.

I don't know anything about xbmc's webserver. As long as there is some way to read/write to the file, it would work, but there's no php and javascript can't read/write files. Good idea though, worth looking into.

I'll leave the site up, but I'm not sure I will be developing it much further. I am intrigued about the webserver thing though, for editing the file live. You'd still have to restart xbmc, though...

Edit: I went ahead and deleted those three letters. You were definitely right about that.
rimsky82 Wrote:I'll leave the site up, but I'm not sure I will be developing it much further. I am intrigued about the webserver thing though, for editing the file live. You'd still have to restart xbmc, though...

You'd have a 'save' button, which would open a dialog asking you to restart xbmc. This can be done via httpapi no problem.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rimsky82 Wrote:I guess my reason for posting is, is this something people would use?
If it could be made so that it is part of the web interface that is shipped with XBMC then I am sure many people would use it:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=The_Web_Interface
(it runs on XBMC's embedded web server http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=WebServerHTTP-API)

See this discussion:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=46100

Nod
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I will leave the website up for now, but I will work on developing this for the web interface.

Edit: I've noticed there is some old code in the current source that is still hanging around, for back when we still used "xboxmediacenter.xml". I will simply work on updating this.
The old code for saving advanced settings from the webserver no longer works I'm guessing because of changes in the xml api. When I click the link from the wiki, I get a permission error. If I'm going to do this, I need to see the xml api documentation. Please advise.

Edit: I didn't realize that the permission error is because the GET action=edit was in the link on the wiki. It still says the documentation is empty. Is there still an xml api?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone interested in an XML Generator as a Web App for use with XBMC?0