Windows 7 smb access woes
I have been using XBMC on a couple of xboxes for god knows how long, never had any major problems but this one is baffling me. When W7 RC was released I upgraded my PC as it was far superior to Vista, and my xbox had no troubles accessing the data that was on smb shares on my PC. However over the last several days I am now asked for a username and password. I can only assume a windows update has changed something but I have no idea wot. I have made sure password protected shares is turned off, and everyone has read/write access at both the folder and share levels. Are there any other W7 users having this problem, or even some that are not

tia

Update -not resolved, came back after reboot
I dont think its a share issue, if I try to browse the PC via SMB it always asks for a password, be it xbmc, vista or XP that is trying to connect to the windows 7 pc with the media. However in the vista and xp I enter my u/p and then it shows the shares but in xbmc the same u/p does not work, very strange

any ideas??
There needs to be a user with the same name and password on both machines otherwise you will get prompted for the details. This works for any SMB share. Not sure about the XBox implimentation. It could be you changed the main user name when you reinstalled.
I assume you've gone through all the usual tasks of getting rid of the homegroup stuff, right?
@ firewuff - I've always set it up such that no username or password has been required, this has alwayss worked over the last several years be it xp, vista or initially W7

@ natethomas - Ive tried so many different things to get this working inc several rebuilds, it works when the machine is initially built but at some stage it starts asking for a u/p and its not always at the same stage. I dont have anything fancy in the way of fw, just the windows one

thanks both for ur quick replies
I am seriously thinking of going back to vista, which is a shame because W7 is a far better experience. BUT at the end of the day a working XBMC is FAAAAAAAR more important Smile

Current settings are;
Network discovery on
file and printer sharing on
public folder sharing on
media streaming 0ff - turned off when I turned off homegroup
file sharing connections - set to 50/56bit wasnt sure if xbmc supported 128bit
password protected sharing - off
homegroup connections - set to use user accounts for remote connections rather than homegroup password
This was my problem. I set everything up fine then a month or so later I went to add source and I wouldn't show WORKGOUP thus not letting me access my shares. Doesnt sound like your problem but doesn't hurt to try what solved my problem...

Type workgroup in search
click change workgroup name
click change Network ID
click this is a home not business network
restart

If no go, maybe try Neowin or a specific Windows 7 forum...
mcborzu Wrote:If no go, maybe try Neowin or a specific Windows 7 forum...

Not a terrible idea. How do you have specific shares set up? When you create a share, do you have read/write access granted to "Guest"?
Try uninstalling Windows Live Assistant. There is something weird with a recent update to that which seems to have caused the problem.

Sooo frustrating Angry
Hi is there any news in this matter. I also have problem with xbmc asking me for Username and password. Searsched every forum available I think. Pleace someone, help!
I uninstalled windows live assistant as suggested in a couple of related threads and all is now OK, no longer need a u/p
Thanks Buzzrick, I had the exact problem mentioned in this thread with my boxee and xbmc installed on atv being able to access windows 7 and then suddenly not. I removed Windows live assistant and voila! problem solved...
Hey, sorry for resurrecting a relatively dead thread, but I found the solution for this problem, and it may become relevant again for many other people since Windows 7 was recently released.

The problem is that password-protected sharing is enabled by default on Windows 7. To turn it off, you have to go to the Control Panel. Look in Network and Internet -> "Choose homegroup and sharing options" -> "Change advanced settings...". The setting for password protection is near the bottom, between File sharing connections (encryption) and HomeGroup connections.

I hope this helps other people experiencing the same problem. This has been the first major annoyance I've come across since installing Windows 7, and here's hoping it's the last.
My problem still persists.

revo@Revo:/usr/share/samba$ smbclient //windows7system/My Videos
session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0

Even with explicit defining a user who has Full Control i get the same "SUCCESS - 0" crap

revo@Revo:/usr/share/samba$ smbclient "//windows7system/My Videos" -U xbmc
Enter xbmc's password:
revo@Revo:/usr/share/samba$
Agro Wrote:My problem still persists.

revo@Revo:/usr/share/samba$ smbclient //windows7system/My Videos

Even with explicit defining a user who has Full Control i get the same "SUCCESS - 0" crap

revo@Revo:/usr/share/samba$ smbclient "//windows7system/My Videos" -U xbmc
Enter xbmc's password:
revo@Revo:/usr/share/samba$

Found the client to add/remove. Jeez... That WAS the problem.
ALL WELL now. man o man.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 smb access woes0