Kitchen build with wireless sound (was: xbmc newbie question)
I found xbmc, and I did read the FAQ's, but I'm still not sure about a few things, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

My wife is remodeling our kitchen, and I was thinking of putting a monitor or tv in the wall, with a small PC hidden in the cabinet below, and the xbmc interface would be great for this.

I was going to get a touchscreen monitor, so that there was no need for a keyboard/mouse, does xbmc work with a touchscreen?

Also, is it possible for xbmc to send music wirelessly? My music is all stored on my home network, so xbmc could connect to all my mp3's. However, my stereo is in another room. I was thinkig of getting one of those airport express things and hooking it to my stereo, but is there some way that I can use xbmc to pick a song or playlist, but tell it to use the stereo wirelessly somehow?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
This is not a matter of xbmc but the underlying OS (linux for example). I have a Creative XMOD at home that is basically a usb soundcard (supported in linux) which sends music wireless to one or more receivers.

In short: yes - possible, but no xbmc thing, thus: moved to hardware forums.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I see the Creative XMOD now, thanks.

Can this use xmbc interface to control the music though? (playlists, etc) Or am I limited to the Creative remote control?

thanks again!
the remote that comes with the xmod is basically a hid device, so it emulates keystrokes that you could bind to actions in xbmc. that's a rather advanced topic the wiki has much to read about.

EDIT: of course you can use xbmc's ui to select music/playlists/etc. the xmod is really nothing more than a soundcard xbmc can output to.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
awesome! Thanks again. That's exactly what I was looking to make sure of before I went too far, being able to use xbmc to play music/playlists on my stereo receiver without wires.

Whatabout PC builds? I saw this Asus eee box: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883220002

to mount under the counter, but I don't know if that's enough of a system, or is it too much, etc.

Are there kits I can buy and build my own, and then put my own OS on top? I'm looking for something quiet and doesn't put out a lot of heat b/c I was going to mount it under the cabinet.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Well. nowadays an nvidia ION powered box paired with XBMC live (or linux in general) is the way to go with xbmc (IMHO). It has the least power consumption, no heat issues, thus very silent, not expensive and very small. AND: it can handle 1080p videos with no problems.

If you want to build something by yourself, go with a ZOTAC ION-A mainboard (about 160 EUR) which comes with an external power supply and wifi. all you need to add is some RAM and a harddrive.

If you want it readymade go with an Asrock ION 330 or the acer revo.
Haggy Wrote:If you want it readymade go with an Asrock ION 330 or the acer revo.

I've been an old user since the early days on Xbox, and kinda tired of the H264 not playing properly on my setup, so I thought I'd give the site a look and saw all the dev around linux/windows now Smile

I'm real happy and considering building myself a new xbmc. although I have a few spare parts around, I really love the form factor of the revo.

do you have any place worth looking to buy it for Canada? looks out of stock everywhere, and couldn't find a place with a 1GB version ... I would get the cheaper alternative, slap in an extra GB myself... no need for hard drive, I'll link over to my raid5 on my main comp.

also, are there any other boxes with such a nice looking form factor as the revo if I chose to build it all myself?
Hmm. I only know of the asrock 330 and some more coming up this year. computex introduced a lot of 'em. have a look here in the forums, especially the hardware one.
yeah, have been browsing the forum for a good part of the day, haven't started working really yet and it's 3PM LOL

I guess I'll look more in depth over the next week, but thought I would ask since you were suggesting a few Smile

thanks anyways!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kitchen build with wireless sound (was: xbmc newbie question)0