Can't open some .MKV's error 5
When I trie to open a mkv from my smb server notthing happens.
My debug log tells:
21:13:57 T:1216 M:1223315456 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: smb://Servertje/TV/Band Of Brothers/Band of Brothers - 1x06 - Bastogne.mkv
21:13:57 T:1216 M:1223315456 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
21:13:57 T:5104 M:1223315456 DEBUG: thread start, auto delete: 0
21:13:57 T:5104 M:1223315456 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
21:13:57 T:5104 M:1223340032 DEBUG: Trying to connect to \\Servertje\TV with username() and password(XXXX)
21:13:57 T:5104 M:1223340032 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file '\' Error '5

Avi's and mp4's just work fine.

Greets,

Arjen
I just noticed that xbmc wouldn't play an mkv that was made from a blu ray. It played fine before but now it won't play on either of my machiens. All of my SD seem to be working fine. I haven't looked at log yet to see what error it put. I was just wondering if the mkv you were trying to play was SD or HD.
arjendj Wrote:21:13:57 T:5104 M:1223340032 DEBUG: Trying to connect to \\Servertje\TV with username() and password(XXXX)
21:13:57 T:5104 M:1223340032 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file '\' Error '5'

Error 5 is access denied. Check the permissions on the file and make sure the user account you are using has access.

Note that in Windows, when you create a file it inherits the permissions of the folder it is created in. However if you then move the file it keeps its permissions. People have been caught out buy this before e.g. is a downloader downloads files to a working directory then automatically moves them. The fix is to grant your XBMC user access to the working directory so the files get created with the correct permissions.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Error 5 is access denied. Check the permissions on the file and make sure the user account you are using has access.

Note that in Windows, when you create a file it inherits the permissions of the folder it is created in. However if you then move the file it keeps its permissions. People have been caught out buy this before e.g. is a downloader downloads files to a working directory then automatically moves them. The fix is to grant your XBMC user access to the working directory so the files get created with the correct permissions.
JR

Let me explain my setup, I have a server running windows xp s3 with 2 HDD.
HDD 1 (500gb) is primary disk, HDD 2 Contains all the TV eppisodes.
Sabnzbd save's te files to HDD 2 in /NOTSORTED and Sickbeard places the file from /NOTSORTED in the correct map and renames the file.

The weird part is that every thing works fine over ftp but when I trie to do it over smb every thing exept mkv's work.

In windows XP I have granted all acces to the main directory and other files over the local network and internet and still it doesn't work:confused2:
8b23 Wrote:I just noticed that xbmc wouldn't play an mkv that was made from a blu ray. It played fine before but now it won't play on either of my machiens. All of my SD seem to be working fine. I haven't looked at log yet to see what error it put. I was just wondering if the mkv you were trying to play was SD or HD.
I was trying to play some 1080p episodes from "'Band of brothers'' ''House'' and ''Terra Nova''
arjendj Wrote:Let me explain my setup, I have a server running windows xp s3 with 2 HDD.
HDD 1 (500gb) is primary disk, HDD 2 Contains all the TV eppisodes.
Sabnzbd save's te files to HDD 2 in /NOTSORTED and Sickbeard places the file from /NOTSORTED in the correct map and renames the file.

The weird part is that every thing works fine over ftp but when I trie to do it over smb every thing exept mkv's work.

In windows XP I have granted all acces to the main directory and other files over the local network and internet and still it doesn't work:confused2:
I was trying to play some 1080p episodes from "'Band of brothers'' ''House'' and ''Terra Nova''

Try to navigate to the file in file mode and try again... different result?
djmcnz Wrote:Try to navigate to the file in file mode and try again... different result?
In file mode I'm getting the same result.
I've tried to copy the episode to the local hdd but windows gives ''Acces denied''. Can smb send files over 2gb??
arjendj Wrote:In file mode I'm getting the same result.
I've tried to copy the episode to the local hdd but windows gives ''Acces denied''.

This just has to be a Windows permissions problem.

arjendj Wrote:Can smb send files over 2gb??

My servers routinely us SMB to copy files over 100GB in size.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:This just has to be a Windows permissions problem.

My servers routinely us SMB to copy files over 100GB in size.

JR
But why only by mkv's and not with aviHuh
arjendj Wrote:21:13:57 T:5104 M:1223340032 ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file '\' Error '5[/i]

wonder why the file is titled with '\' because it should show the file name here. Try renaming the file to something else (shorter, without spaces, etc) and report back.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
First of all explicitly check the permissions of a sample file, copy it to somewhere like c:\temp\ and see if it works from there.

What file system are you using? If it's NTFS also take ownership of the file using the account XBMC runs under, then check permissions again. Add the Group 'Everyone' make sure it has full allow permissions and no account or group has any deny permissions. Do this for the file and the folder.

Also check the permissions of the XBMC program folder and contents as well as your XBMC data folders too.

As stated above, all of your symptoms are those of restrictive permissions. And although that might not explain the apparent .avi v .mkv discrepancy that just may be a fluke of nature and an unworthy distraction.

Really, because of the symptoms, until you can conclusively rule out permissions further diagnosis is undermined I would think

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't open some .MKV's error 50