weird issue copying ISO to xbox, different file sizes after copy
I have a few DVD's in ISO format that my kids like to watch that I normally stream from a Windows PC media server SMB share. We are moving to Japan and will be leaving the server behind, so I copied a bunch of their movies directly to the XBOX using WS_FTP pro. With several of the movies when I try and launch them from the local copy of the ISO, they start up and go to the menu just fine, but when I try and play them Mplayer quits back to the folder where I store the ISO.

I thought there was a maybe a file transfer error so I went to re-copy via FTP and lo and behold I noticed the files on the XBOX are reporting a smaller file size in WS_FTP than the local ISO files. So I attempt to re-copy them over on top of what's there and WS_FTP will allow me to resume and it will report 100% complete, but when I check file sizes again it still shows about a 5-10% difference in size from local copy to remote copy on XBOX.

If I launch the ISO through XBMC from the SMB share on the Windows Media Server I can get them to function flawlessly. It's only the local copy on the xbox hard drive that quits.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It's pissing me off that I can't figure it out.

btw, running latest t3ch build.
My first recommendation is to try using Filezilla FTP, just to see if something in WS_FTP is messing up.

Next, this seems unlikely, but is there any chance you are using an old FAT file system on your Xbox that doesn't allow files larger than the old limit (which may have been 4 gigs).

Also, I'm moving this over to the xbox forum, in the hope that someone there may have experienced a similar issue.
The file size differences you're seeing are due to different cluster sizes on the source and destination file systems. AFAIK we'll only try to play dvd ISOs with DVDPlayer. MPlayer doesn't support the menus and crap which was the main reason for writing DVDPlayer in the first place.
Xbox consoles use FATX. That means 4gb per file tops, 4096 files per folder, 42 characters per filename (plus a few character restrictions) - there's no "new" version that changes any of these things and there likely never will be.

It's possible to use some Linux based file systems but I dunno if the X-Box port of XBMC could even read them.

Different cluster sizes would indeed cause a change in how much space a file uses, but that change can never be more then the cluster size itself. Usually FATX uses 16kb clusters, and the highest it can go is 64kb. There's no way that'd account for 5%-10% of an ISO.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
so any suggestions on getting the ISO's to work on the Xbox locally?
trevorcobb Wrote:so any suggestions on getting the ISO's to work on the Xbox locally?
Just ftp the file over to your xbox and use files view to play them using dvd player, but you should also be able to scrape it and add it to the library. Either way it should play them fine.
I know mine didSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
More information is required. Post some sample "before & after" filesizes, and info on your partition layouts.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
weird issue copying ISO to xbox, different file sizes after copy0