• 1(current)
Surface - a new skin for XBMC in development
This is a skin based on the design that I created for Xperience. Due to creative differences, I decided to step away a few months back from that project and pursue my own version with Minimalko.

Edit 08.13.09
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG2HudEpBGk

Edit 08.22.09
This skin is on hold as we work on another concept (see this for a brief explanation).

I got to say I have always admired your screen shots. I have always wondered if you are able to code or just making mock ups.

No insult intended because I think you have great skills when it comes to putting together good looking windows for skins. I just don't understand why you say you left the xperience and then post shots of a new skin that looks primarily like it...which is also the basically the same as my xbox360 generic layout....boring!

My opinion is that you should try to work on something that hasn't been done already. New visions are what drives this community. I just wish I had the photoshop skills to do it. Thats why I can only essentially mod others fanastic work.
ekim232,

Yes, I do code. I left because I wanted to pursue a version closer to my early mockups. We parted ways without any hard feelings. More importantly, this is not a mod but a completely different version that is designed to run on more powerful systems at 1080p. We're also paying close attention to the little details which in my opinion are often overlooked. Lastly, if it's boring then you have plenty of other options.
Not that I can say i am entirely happy seeing a skin EXACTLY like mine but I must say this is quite nice work. Thankfully all of our current graphics have been changed completely just for this very reason, I had a feeling phyek and minimalko were gonna do something like this.

I do remember clearly asking phyek to change things up a bit and as i am looking at the actual skin I see many similarities to my own skin. hopefully that will be changed in Surface upon release.

No hard feelings on my end I know the quality of Xperience Wink

Good luck Minimalko and phyek with your project Surface.
I like your idea of a 1080p....because my htpc is built for it. Like I said I was not trying to insult you. I just think that you have the talent to put a whole new look into a skin rather than use a layout that is already going to be widely used by crowd when xperience hits.

I envy people like you who can mold these images and create new layouts. People like Jezz, Djh, Ronie, Skunk, Minimalko, Digital High, and many others here have done amazing things by using their graphical skills to bring these new layouts to us. I just don't think you should limit yourself. Even your previous mock ups from an earlier posting were a whole new vision.
XBMCG33K Wrote:Not that I can say i am entirely happy seeing a skin EXACTLY like mine but I must say this is quite nice work. Thankfully all of our current graphics have been changed completely just for this very reason, I had a feeling phyek and minimalko were gonna do something like this.

I do remember clearly asking phyek to change things up a bit and as i am looking at the actual skin I see many similarities to my own skin. hopefully that will be changed in Surface upon release.

No hard feelings on my end I know the quality of Xperience Wink

Good luck Minimalko and phyek with your project Surface.

Hey XBMCG33k,

Just want to add that you were well aware that I was going to work on a separate version as I made it clear before I left. I also agreed with your requests to use a different skin name and not to release it (the working version) before Xperience. Those were your only requests, and I still have the forum messages if there is any confusion. As far as the look, it's based on my original mockups (save for the new background that I painted), so it won't change much from what you see in these screen shots.
My mistake I was under the impression you were actually going to go a different way as you have the skill to make a different skin I'm a little unclear on why you continue with a design already being used. Not that there are not already a few skins that exist on this forum that are similar to others. Still my point is with the skill you have you should be concentrating on something new for the community. Just my 2 cent however feel free to do as you like as it seems you already have.

Really enjoy the fanart panel view BTW very nice.
I'm also not sure what to think of this, on one hand it promotes a little healthy competition, on the other it stagnates the community with two skins that could be too similar.
Looks good, but I agree about the two skin concepts being similiar.

I'd much prefer you work on this:

No offense intended but I REALLY love your concept work on that. Laugh

While I really like the textures you came up with for Xperience I can't help but feel like maybe it's a duplication of effort. Perhaps an alternate texture pack for Xperience when it's done? Up to you obviously, and I must reiterate I love the work done by both yourself and Ancarthur.
I can't understand why the negativity towards this skin sure it looks similar to xperiance,
But then a few said xperiance looked like Auriga, there will allway's be similarities between new skins and existing ones. and considering Phyek did the original concepts then i see nothing wrong in what he is doing. it will be intersting to see how this one pans out.

I eagerly await both "surface" and "experiance" I say good luck to both projects, and to everyone else i say let them get on with itSmile
Ps it's not my intention to annoy anybody, as i respect the guys behind both projects.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
I think that both sinks are really sick. at same time tho. I like to c both working together again.. on the one skin n some how use the theme opt to change the style of the images. :p
richie178 Wrote:I think that both sinks are really sick. at same time tho. I like to c both working together again.. on the one skin n some how use the theme opt to change the style of the images. :p
Sounds a bit like the idea of the plex guys coming back to xbmc and i can't see that happening. but i do agree xperiance has lost two very talented guys but don't forget the guys on xperiance are also very talented. and it can only be better for the end user as we get more choice. i only hope they both come to light soonSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Quote:I eagerly await both "surface" and "experiance" I say good luck to both projects, and to everyone else i say let them get on with it
Ps it's not my intention to annoy anybody, as i respect the guys behind both projects.

Exactly, Even if there are two similar skins, i'm sure that they will offer different features for different users. I would love to see both of these!

--FF
I sincerely hope that you one day code the other skin concept you made.I know that many people loved the mockups and would really like the skin to come to life.

But good luck on this one and i'll definitely keep an eye on the progress Smile
phyek, I've sent you a proposal. Check your PMs.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Surface - a new skin for XBMC in development5