Remining Time information into bookmarks
Hi,

I've created a patch to add the remining time information to bookmarks. I think that information is more clear (from a functionality point of view) when informing the user. Specially when using automatic bookmarks to resume videos.

Maybe another solution would be to store the total length of the video (in the "files" table or even "streamdetails") and then make the difference when showing but I thought having the info in bookmarks also doesn't hurt. Rolleyes

What do you guys think?
i didn't like it. i don't see why we need to store such info, the length should be available through stream details and thats all we need.
Hi spiff,

Thanks for the reply, I guess you're also in favour of showing the remining time in resume bookmarks but didn't like the way it was done. Wink

I agree with you that the total length should be stored somewhere and streamdetails seems like a good place. However, even with that information in streamdetail, I find that having the remainingtime also in bookmarks is useful for two main reasons. Firstly, all bookmark info is stored in the bookmark table (easier to undertand). Secondly, it simplifies the xbmc code as it doesn't need to do an sql search (in streamdetails) each time a bookmark is accessed to display the remining time.

I guess there is some duplicity of info but I do believe it is simpler like this and also it is difficult that the information will become corrupted (remaining time in bookmark do not match the total length in streamdetails).

In any case, I was asking as I'm trying to extent the PlayMedia (as discussed in this thread) and I was thinking on using the remainingtime already.

regards,
i definitely agree a skin should have the option. not sure if we should do it by default or not, ui is not my side of things.

i do agree that it makes the code simpler, it just raised my eyebrow a bit since it seems like a waste. that being said, it's an extremely small waste as you point out. one i can probably accept. will discuss a bit with the other lads.

and yeah, please fix my "nasties" over there. i don't see why this is really related though, but you probably have your plans
I think adding that totaltime column could be worth it. It's a simple addition to the bookmark database and it keeps it from being dependent on some other external functionality.

Remeber thou, not everything will have a total time. Stuff like dvd's won't (nor do they technically even have a starttime). The store a complete state instead. The totaltime stored might be the remaining time a stillframe is to be displayed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remining Time information into bookmarks0