Streaming Games to the XBox. Kinda.
okay, okay, how many times has it been said you can't stream games to the xbox?

i know. it's true.

but would anyone be interested in a half-measure? it wouldn't be hard to write a game management script in python that caches files from a pc share onto a limited space on the xbox hard drive for playing.

anyone interested?

i'm specifically thinking of a pair of scripts--a server on the pc with the share, that polls all your pc's folders containing a default.xbe file and then sends a list of the available games to the xbox. a script on the xbox that reads that list and shows those games as available (shared).

you click on one. if it's already on the xbox, it launches and begins playing. if not, it copies the whole folder over the network (which, admittedly, would take some time!Wink, and then launches it.

you'd still have to have at least enough room on your xbox hard drive for the full game. i'm thinking you could tell it how much space, on which drive, to allocate to games, and the script would keep track of how recently you've played each of the games currently stored in that space. if you try to copy one over that you don't have room for, the oldest cached game gets deleted to make room for the new one.

if you've got enough room on your hard drive, you can label some of the cached files as favorites, which won't get deleted to make room for others (unless you remove them from favorites).

it wouldn't be hard, but it would take some time. anyone interested, or is it too much work for too little reward. let me know.

it's almost worth doing just to get rid of that sarcastic thread in the pinned topic over at xs. :-)

alexpoet.
Quote:
For scripts, script development tools, and documentation, visit my website:
http://www.maskedfox.com/xbmc/
as always alex i think u have an awesome idea :kickass:
would be cool if qwix would integrate some server features.
like send a list of all games in the current iso list to the client and start a transfer of a requested game to a given folder to the xbox via ftp.

maybe its worth to talk to the qwix devs?
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
hmm.

got a very lukewarm reaction to the suggestion over the xs (where i expected it to be more popular), but the script itself would be fairly easy, and since there's some interest here at least, i'll go ahead with it. :-)

also, it would be useful for me. that's enough, ain't it?

now it's just finding the time....
For scripts, script development tools, and documentation, visit my website:
http://www.maskedfox.com/xbmc/
alex, i will be eagerly awaiting this project, along with all the other projects u are working on :kickass:
good idea!

i think we don't need it more! just list the games from the pc via smb and then copy the selectet game to the xbox.

goals:
1. select and copy[cahc] [only non iso'ed games]
2. may with qwix [over smb share] iso support [hullebulle mentioned] or if there is a way to prepare iso and extracting with python..
3. we need smb server in xbmc Wink to copy from xbox<>xbox

regards
geminiserver
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i have no idea about how this can be done but i saw in gamecube with a software 'phoenix loader' you cab stream games from pc to gamecube and thats with 10mbps line ( gc doesnt support 100mbps).
great idea alex! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming Games to the XBox. Kinda.0