windows 7 taskbar issue
i just upgraded to windows 7 rc1 and installed xbmc and when it goes to run full screen i get the taskbar in the way and also the resolution doesnt fit the screen. i have tried to adjust it in the settings to the correct res and that doesnt help either can anyone tell me how to fix this issue i had xbmc in vista running smooth with no issues thanks for any help in advance
silvers46 Wrote:i just upgraded to windows 7 rc1 and installed xbmc and when it goes to run full screen i get the taskbar in the way and also the resolution doesnt fit the screen. i have tried to adjust it in the settings to the correct res and that doesnt help either can anyone tell me how to fix this issue i had xbmc in vista running smooth with no issues thanks for any help in advance

Its definately not a win7 issue per say as many of us here run xbmc fine on RC1. I would try different video driver revs...btw what card do you have ati or nvidia?
Same problem here with build 2600. I have an 8400GS and am running the latest 64-bit drivers from nvidia.

Update: I was able to resolve the "issue." Wasn't really an issue - I had moved my viewing preferences to 150% to make the icons and fonts bigger on the desktop. Pretty common practice as they are tough to see on a 40+ inch screen at high resolution. That was the problem. Dropped it back down to normal and XBMC is showing perfect @ 1080p on W7 build 2600 with the latest drivers from nvidia.

Thanks for all the hard work. XBMC is the coolest thing since sliced bread! I should mention I'm also running the latest development release and Mediastream Redux. The tagging is working so well!! Thanks again to all of the developers and the XBMC community!
sorry took me so long to right back its a ati 4850
i had the same issue. I had the font set to 140 percent and kept seeing the taskbar line at the bottom of the screen in XBMC. I changed the size back to 100 percent and it went away. The problem is, is that I need the 140 percent font size. Oh well.
There's another thread here with the same issue. I have it too.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=56509

It seems that using large font sizes, the way Windows Vista and Win 7 do it by changing the DPI, breaks the scaling inf XBMC. If anyone has a Traq account it'd be great to get this posted as a bug.

On my 42" plasma, 150% DPI (font size) is absolutely necessary to read webpages from the couch (without constantly ctrl+scrolling the pages bigger). I can zoom 20% smaller (which is the maximum negative zoom) and the XBMC still doesn't fit. Perhaps allowing for a higher negative scaling would allow us to at least retain high DPI on the desktop and have XBMC displayed in all its full screen usable glory.

-oldfogey
Couldn't you just right click on xbmc.exe, and under the compatibility tab check disable display scaling on high DPI settings?

While you're there you may as well disable desktop composition for a nice little performance boost. (Especially on weaker hardware)
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]• nate w.
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
natew Wrote:Couldn't you just right click on xbmc.exe, and under the compatibility tab check disable display scaling on high DPI settings?

Thats the right way to do it.
A ticket already exists: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5238
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I haven't got exactly the same issue but I've got XBMC in autostart in Windows 7 but it always autostarts with the Win7 taskbar still visible. I need to click inside XBMC to activate the window to remove the taskbar. Any simple solution to that problem?
Hello,
Not sure if this helps you, but as I am running my HTPC as a 'Pure' media player e.g. No other services running. I have done the following.

Running Windows 7 2600, I use Event Ghost (loading minimized), to load XBMC.exe (full screen) as the main shell for Windows 7.

Regedit

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Key:
Shell
"C:\Program Files\EventGhost\EventGhost.exe"

This removes all UI from the desktop except for XBMC running in full screen. Smile

Cheers
try to enable compability mode for the xbmc.exe regarding the 'advanced theme' if i recall corretly or at least the options for the visual design... these fixed at least my problems i had on w7
Didn't seem to do it for me. The only problem I have is that the task bar is visible the first time XBMC starts (autostart) - if I click inside XBMC or if I restart XBMC the problems are gone, but it would be neat to not have to click inside XBMC.
Peligrozo Wrote:I haven't got exactly the same issue but I've got XBMC in autostart in Windows 7 but it always autostarts with the Win7 taskbar still visible. I need to click inside XBMC to activate the window to remove the taskbar. Any simple solution to that problem?

That's a timing issue -- xbmc basically loading up before everything in the taskbar has, thus the taskbar shows up on top. Best way to circumvent that I've seen is to not use explorer.exe as the shell but launch eventghost or something to make xbmc the shell.
therain93 Wrote:That's a timing issue -- xbmc basically loading up before everything in the taskbar has, thus the taskbar shows up on top. Best way to circumvent that I've seen is to not use explorer.exe as the shell but launch eventghost or something to make xbmc the shell.
I'm not too familiar with these things - if I'd do that, would I still be able to use the taskbar and start menu when alt-tabbing out, or would I need to use the task manager or similar to be able to start applications?
What i do is start XBMC from a batch file via Eventghost hotkey and it dosent have a problem with the taskbar, if you want more details just ask.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
windows 7 taskbar issue1