Dolby Digital audio output lacks 'punch' when not using pass-through mode?
iirc the dolby specs say any device without a gui toggle for DRC should have it on by default, and even where the option is present the default should be on.

That may be why the system is the way it is now.

Ofcourse I'd love a way to disable it, I have a similar 6ch analog setup to yourself and I thought something was up but I assumed it was my onboard soundcard being rubbish until now.
i agree with the idea that without the option to have it on/off, it should be on.

and the ui of xbmc beats external player for now. can't wait for the "master audio".
NateThomas, can you clarify for me? does the DRC affect just ac3 or does it affect all codecs?
ashlar, that is my understanding. Freddo, I couldn't tell you. As far as I know, it's anything the liba52 decoder decodes. From a quick search, it looks like this means only ac3, but I wouldn't take my word as gospel on that.
@ Natethomas Good on the XBMC advanced settings, and good on the Master audio. Thanks... Any time frames?

Snuff
Sorry, mi compadre. Both are sitting in the "it'll happen when it happens" category. For advanced settings re: the currently discussed issue, see here:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6905

For masteraudio..., I guess keep an eye out for announcements. Not sure what the time frame is there. Could be tomorrow, could be 5 months from now.
i see a drc.diff has been put up there? any idea what that means? i assume it is a file which notes differences.

i looks like it will be alone the lines of:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<dynamicrangecompression>ARG</dynamicrangecompression>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

where ARG is either true/false.
but then thats probably a wild guess. fast work.
i thought there was a difference, and there isnt.

editted this post so as not to be misleading.
A .diff file is also called a "patch" and is a file that combines differences you have made to the original source code in a file, so other developers can quickly apply the changes and test themselves. In this case, the mentioned patch hasn't been applied to the main linuxport branch yet, so whatever difference you are seeing is not coming from those changes, unless you have applied them yourself.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Clumsy Wrote:A .diff file is also called a "patch" and is a file that combines differences you have made to the original source code in a file, so other developers can quickly apply the changes and test themselves. In this case, the mentioned patch hasn't been applied to the main linuxport branch yet, so whatever difference you are seeing is not coming from those changes, unless you have applied them yourself.

thank you for taking the time on that post...there really does sound like a difference (but subjective tests are so unreliable), maybe i've changed something else in my amp menus or something. or it's the placebo effect? (because i think something changed, i think i hear the difference)

edit - or i'm a fool? who knows!

edit 2 - i am a fool. compared it again with a few more scenes and no change, shame, i was happy in my placebo mode.
Hehe, no worries - the placebo effect is probably the most important effect on the whole hifi world Big Grin If it wasn't there, alot of people wouldn't drive porsches.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Clumsy Wrote:Hehe, no worries - the placebo effect is probably the most important effect on the whole hifi world Big Grin If it wasn't there, alot of people wouldn't drive porsches.

Without the placebo effect, Monster Cable would go out of existence.
very true!

right, i really want this, so i'm gonna give compiling it myself a go. is there a tool to apply a .diff or do i edit by copy/pasting? i've found the guide about compiling a win32 build.

edit - i've got tortoisesvn, it's grabbing what i assume is sourcecode, i am also downloading VC++ and the directx sdk. I would like to ask if there is a kind soul who is able to patch and build a version of xbmc with the above .diff applied. I'm gonna persevere with this, but if your feeling kind, and don't have anything to do.........Confused
If you happen to make it far enough *g*, you can use TortoiseSVN to apply the diff:

http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/Tort...patch.html
thanks for the link, it really helped.

i have the svn, and i have applied the .diff, i just am slightly baffled how to turn all these (admittedly lovely) .cpp and .h into the .dll and things im used to seeing.

i'm having a try with VC++ 2008 Express, and i can "build" the project, but i'm getting .obj files out at the end. i realise this might be obvious to some, but it's not to me.

EDIT - bit much for me for a one off i think.

EDIT2 - anyone willing to be bribed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Digital audio output lacks 'punch' when not using pass-through mode?0