• 3(current)
Win HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost
Question 
Hi! Thanks for posting the keymaps but the photos arent showing up in the previous post. No

All I need to know is how to assign a button (such as F4) to launch XBMC.

Anybody?
Where do you choose Microsoft?? I can only choose Manufacturer after I select Device Type (TV, Amp, Computer) etc. What device type are you choosing to then choose microsoft and then MCE Keyboard? Media Centre PC? Tried that but can't get it to work.

Can anyone help?

Neepawa Wrote:Got this working with an MCE receiver and a Harmony 550 on a Vista Home Premium SP3 machine. I had a problem initially because I mapped the keys in the Harmony's device mode and not the activity, but now it's all good.

Here are the key mappings I used, with F4 assigned to launch XBMC:

The pics aren't working, can you say how you got XBMC to launch with F4?
As a Harmony One owner and waiting-for-HTPC-delivery XBMC noob user I'd like to know a little bit more of how it works from you guys.

Since the pictures are not available I imagine you have setup an activity named (say) "XBMC", in this activity you include your TV/Amp/HTPC.
Your HTPC is mapped in Harmony software to a Microsoft MCE Keyboard.
You assign Harmony Keys to common used keys in XBMC (F1, Backspace, A, V, whatever I don't really know the keys)

So then whey you click on the activity you can navigate through XBMC with your remote as if you were using a keyboard, right?

My big doubts now are:

Exactly which files and how should be modified in XBMC? (sorry, too many posts, counterposts, quotes...)

If you create a new activity , say "Record TV" can you remap your Harmony to simulate a MCE remote and control Windows Media Center with it or do you have to continue simulating a keyboard even if this activity doesn't require XBMC?
I use Harmony 1100...
Thanx for that great tipp to navigate with a Harmony without eventghost by using the Device "Microsoft MCE Keyboard"... It works perfectly!!!

Now i was looking to start XBMC from Windows desktop... The easiest way is to set xbmc.exe to a F-Button, in my way it is now F7.

To set xbmc.exe to this button, you have to do following:
1. go to the start-menu and search for the xbmc.exe icon
2. go on it and klick right mouse button
3. klick on "properties"
4. klick on the "shortcut" tab
5. go to the item "shortcut key"
6. press (not type in) the desired button, F7-F10
7. ready

Use only the F-button beginning at F7, cause F1-F6 & F11 is already occupied.

Now you've only to set the F7 (or desired F-button) in the harmony software to you remote...
:rofl: greetz DanielOcean :rofl:

MY SYSTEM PIC 1 ... MY SYSTEM PIC 2 ... MY SYSTEM PIC 3
oliphillips Wrote:Where do you choose Microsoft?? I can only choose Manufacturer after I select Device Type (TV, Amp, Computer) etc. What device type are you choosing to then choose microsoft and then MCE Keyboard? Media Centre PC? Tried that but can't get it to work.

Can anyone help?

The pics aren't working, can you say how you got XBMC to launch with F4?

oli (or anyone else for that matter) - were you able to get any advice on this - I'm with you on this one and am having great difficulty setting the remote without eventghost (I do have it working with EG however the whole set-up is temperamental to say the least), EG appears to be losing focus and the buttons assigned don't always work correctly. Would really like to ditch EG, but I feel that an idiots guide is necessary (for me at least) in how to set-up with the logitech software.

In the meantime I will continue to try and resolve this issue - if I come up with anything oli I will post back.

Any of you guys who found it simple to set-up care to share how you succeeded with an imbecile Big Grin

Forgot to add that I am currently using a Harmony One.
In the same boat as steelman but with a harmony 880.

Anyone have any ideas on how to add this damned MCE Keyboard to the items?
Anubis - I finally managed to add an MCE Keyboard to my devices in the Harmony Software. Go to add device, then from the first drop down menu - choose Media Centre PC - Manufacturer (Microsoft) - Model (Microsoft MCE Keyboard), enter (make sure you type the model as I have it here) and the device should add.

Add the device to your preferred activity, then under 'customise buttons' (in 'activities' - not devices) you can remap the button activity to your choice - at this moment I have the 'menu button' set-up to start XBMC and the 'exit' button to back out screens etc.

Use Danielocean's tip to start XBMC - it works perfectly - thanks. Just remember and use the button that the harmony has allocated for the F7 etc keys when carrying out step 6.

Anubis sorry don't know the specifics of the Harmony 880, but it does work with the Harmony One.
thegrinch Wrote:I'm using the Harmony One from Logi, and I was wondering if the remote can wake/turn on a PC when set to emulate an MCE Keyboard. Anyone tried that (maybe with another universal Logitech remote, should be the same regarding my question)?

Google Simerec and you'll find a programmable IR reciever there, works out about £20.

Terrific
Anybody having difficulty when using Danielocean's tip for start-up? When I first set this up using F7 as start up key everything functioned as expected, however on several occasions since initial set-up the funtion to start-up (F7 in my case) has ceased to work. The only way to refocus the system is to re-boot my PC. Anyone else encountered this problem - or maybe offer a solution?
does anybody know which key on the keyboard will relaunch the film im watching once ive exited to the main menu, its playing in the background but for the life of me i cant get it to relaunch it.
I got my Harmony remote working great with XBMC thanks to this thread! I have it set up as an mce keyboard in the harmony software. However, I cant seem to find an option to add an F key to the harmony remote so that I can program the xbmc startup. On the MCE keyboard device within harmony software there is no F Keys!? How did you guys add an Fkey to the mce keyboard? Also, I cant seem to add the Right click mouse key( Context Meu) to it for XBMC. Therefore can not use harmony remote to access movie information.... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
I am currently using this method. But I can't use pause when browsing files, is it possible to make p do a play/pause? If so how would that be done?
Media PC (ASRock ION 330) - Intel ATOM 330 | 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz Memory | Seagate Momentus 320GB 5400.6RPM SATA Hard Drive | nVidia nForce 10/100/1000 LAN | Liteon DS-8A3S SATA DVDRW | nVidia ION Graphics | Microsoft Windows 7 32bit Ultimate | XBMC for Windows using Neon skin

Home Theatre System
Panasonic TC-32LX70 32" 720p LCD HDTV | Denon AVR-1909 A/V Receiver | Paradigm Cinema70 5.1 Speakers | Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray Player | Apple TV2
golfchick Wrote:does anybody know which key on the keyboard will relaunch the film im watching once ive exited to the main menu, its playing in the background but for the life of me i cant get it to relaunch it.

tab?
Life's not too short, you're just dead for so long.

HP Pavilion m9500y
AMD Athlon64 x4 - 4gb RAM 4.5TB HDD RAID
Mac OS 10.6 - XBMC Dharma RC2
apex82 Wrote:I got my Harmony remote working great with XBMC thanks to this thread! I have it set up as an mce keyboard in the harmony software. However, I cant seem to find an option to add an F key to the harmony remote so that I can program the xbmc startup. On the MCE keyboard device within harmony software there is no F Keys!? How did you guys add an Fkey to the mce keyboard? Also, I cant seem to add the Right click mouse key( Context Meu) to it for XBMC. Therefore can not use harmony remote to access movie information.... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

The letter c brings up that menu as well as the application key.
Media PC (ASRock ION 330) - Intel ATOM 330 | 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz Memory | Seagate Momentus 320GB 5400.6RPM SATA Hard Drive | nVidia nForce 10/100/1000 LAN | Liteon DS-8A3S SATA DVDRW | nVidia ION Graphics | Microsoft Windows 7 32bit Ultimate | XBMC for Windows using Neon skin

Home Theatre System
Panasonic TC-32LX70 32" 720p LCD HDTV | Denon AVR-1909 A/V Receiver | Paradigm Cinema70 5.1 Speakers | Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray Player | Apple TV2
apex82 Wrote:I got my Harmony remote working great with XBMC thanks to this thread! I have it set up as an mce keyboard in the harmony software. However, I cant seem to find an option to add an F key to the harmony remote so that I can program the xbmc startup. On the MCE keyboard device within harmony software there is no F Keys!? How did you guys add an Fkey to the mce keyboard? Also, I cant seem to add the Right click mouse key( Context Meu) to it for XBMC. Therefore can not use harmony remote to access movie information.... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

What Harmony remote are you using? On the 'One' - the 'Function' keys can be found by entering 'Devices' on the touch screen pad, then into the device - MCE Keyboard and the function keys and some other keyboard shortcuts are available from there (the touch screen pad that is).

Other Harmony remotes? sorry haven't a clue.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost4