• 11(current)
Win HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost
Thanks!
Honestly, I've been searching for awhile. On here and logitech's site.

Perhaps we should add this link to POST #1 of the sticky "HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost"

Smile
So I went through the method in the listed link. But for some reason XBMX will only work with Eventghost running.

Any pointers on how to do this without Eventghost?

Thanks!
Not sure what the problem is. Care to give some more info?
katy: Silverstone LC19/AMD Zacate E350/4GB/7.5TB/Win 7 Pro 64/24/7/Shade (custom)
ATV2/iOS 4.2.1/Alaska Revisited Mod
Here is where I stand:

1) If I add a device to harmony 650 as Microsoft MCE Remote, I can get some functions to work in XBMC (through Eventghost).

2) If I add a device to harmony 650 as Microsoft MCE Keyborad, Eventghost sees the keypresses, but doesn't know what they are (Eventghost log shows "USB_UIRT.Unknown.HEX_CODES....")

I have tried to map buttons through Harmony software under both "Activities" and the "Devices."

I am starting to think this is because I am trying to use a USB-UIRT as my receiver. If I try to add the plugin "Microsoft MCE Remote" in eventGhost, I get "Error starting plugin: Microsoft MCE Remote. Device Not Found"

Perhaps the USB-UIRT driver is not compatible with a device emulating MCE keystrokes?
WannaTheater Wrote:Here is where I stand:

1) If I add a device to harmony 650 as Microsoft MCE Remote, I can get some functions to work in XBMC (through Eventghost).

2) If I add a device to harmony 650 as Microsoft MCE Keyborad, Eventghost sees the keypresses, but doesn't know what they are (Eventghost log shows "USB_UIRT.Unknown.HEX_CODES....")

I have tried to map buttons through Harmony software under both "Activities" and the "Devices."

I am starting to think this is because I am trying to use a USB-UIRT as my receiver. If I try to add the plugin "Microsoft MCE Remote" in eventGhost, I get "Error starting plugin: Microsoft MCE Remote. Device Not Found"

Perhaps the USB-UIRT driver is not compatible with a device emulating MCE keystrokes?

I have the USB-UIRT as well. You need EventGhost with USB-UIRT to get the remote keypreses working in XBMC. USB-UIRT is not natively supported in XBMC so you'd have to do some coding I think in order to bypass EventGhost. I also have an MCE remote and IR receiver and I still use EventGhost because there is no difference in lag and I can customize the buttons a little easier.
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
Thank you. Since you have a similar setup:

1) When you added a device to the harmony, did you add "Microsoft MCE Keyboard" or "Microsoft MCE Remote"

2) Do you need to assign keys on the harmony side (either under activities, or devices?)

3) Or are all of your "keymappings" handled purely through the XBMC plugin in eventghost (i.e. push a button on remote, then drag the USB_UIRT.unrecognized.hex over to the appropriate action in the XBMC plugin).

Thanks again!
WannaTheater Wrote:Thank you. Since you have a similar setup:

1) When you added a device to the harmony, did you add "Microsoft MCE Keyboard" or "Microsoft MCE Remote"

2) Do you need to assign keys on the harmony side (either under activities, or devices?)

3) Or are all of your "keymappings" handled purely through the XBMC plugin in eventghost (i.e. push a button on remote, then drag the USB_UIRT.unrecognized.hex over to the appropriate action in the XBMC plugin).

Thanks again!

1) "Microsoft MCE Keyboard"

2) Yep and be sure to keep track so it's easier to put them in EventGhost. Good to plan out ahead of time too.

3) If you use "Microsoft MCE Keyboard" in your Harmony, events will show up in EventGhost as "USB_UIRT.MCEKeyboard.xxxx" and then yes, I just drag-and-drop the events into actions of the superior XBMCRepeat plugin

As a side note: I rarely use my Harmony now because after about 2 years and multiple friends being confused by my setup due to button lag on the Harmony, I switched to using the Firefly PC Remote. Zero lag and RF instead of IR, but obviously it doesn't have Harmony's universal capabilities.

EDIT: If you could, would you mind estimating the lag that you get between the time you first press a button and the time it takes to see that action in XBMC?
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
THanks.

I just successfully assigned a bunch of keys to both the activity, and the device. I am still using the older XBMC plugin. From what I can see, there is virtually zero delay. Once I get all up and running I will update.

I am using Harmony 650, purchased yesterday from BestBuy.
WannaTheater Wrote:THanks.

I just successfully assigned a bunch of keys to both the activity, and the device. I am still using the older XBMC plugin. From what I can see, there is virtually zero delay. Once I get all up and running I will update.

I am using Harmony 650, purchased yesterday from BestBuy.

Good to hear. The newer plugin has some extra actions in it but if you don't need them then no need to update.

I guess you lucked out on the lag. So if you're in XBMC and you press down arrow, say, 10 times in a row, XBMC will keep up with the remote?
Its actually too fast... if I press down arrow quickly, it sometimes goes down 2 or 3...

Haven't seen lag yet.
From looking at EventGhost log, it appears that Harmony is not consistent in the number of codes it sends when I click down or up... I bet this has to do with it being set as a MCE Keyboard... perhaps certain keys send more than 1 string?? With it set to other devices, it seems to work fine.
WannaTheater Wrote:From looking at EventGhost log, it appears that Harmony is not consistent in the number of codes it sends when I click down or up... I bet this has to do with it being set as a MCE Keyboard... perhaps certain keys send more than 1 string?? With it set to other devices, it seems to work fine.

Strange...that happens with me when I use something other than MCE Keyboard. Are you aiming at your USB-UIRT at a really oblique angle?
Nope... straight on. Does the same thing for 2 different USBUIRTs on 2 separate machines. You can even see the red light flashing more than once. The harmony is definitely sending more than one signal.
Hey,

first of all i have to say a BIG thank you for this thread!Smile
It helped me a lot to solve my Harmony/XBMC issues. But some problems are still remaining:

I have tested several delay-settings, but i can't solve the problem of "repeating key presses". This always happens when i'm pressing a button (e.g.: direction up, ...) to short. In this case i keeps repeating my last command from my harmony and stops when i'm pressing another key :/

The second "issue" (it's more an annoying difference between keyboard and remote control) could be connected with the first problem. Key presses on my harmony seem to be transfered very slow, it takes ages to scroll through a longer list of films or tv shows.

I hope someone can help me, and i'm sorry for my poor english-grammer knowledge Wink

cheers
steelman1991 Wrote:Anybody having difficulty when using Danielocean's tip for start-up? When I first set this up using F7 as start up key everything functioned as expected, however on several occasions since initial set-up the funtion to start-up (F7 in my case) has ceased to work. The only way to refocus the system is to re-boot my PC. Anyone else encountered this problem - or maybe offer a solution?

Did you find a solution to this? I browsed through the entire thread and didn't see a answer on it. I just recently ran into this on my machine. I had to reboot my machine aswell to make it work again.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO use Logitech Harmony Universal Remote Control without EventGhost4