HIGH CPU on Idle
Rainbow 
Hi,

This is not the first post regarding this problem I know.

I've been trying to isolate a high CPU usage with XBMC 9.04 when in idle mode. No media playing just the home screen displayed. The CPU usage for XBMC.exe climbs up to 99%.

After reading almost all the posts in this forum and tried all the settings (vsync and the threading thing in nVidia control pannel), I deciced to test with a few PCs.

1. Tried 2 PCs (not one but 2) equipped with

Asus M3N78-VM board with AMD 5200 CPU, onboard nVidia GeForce 8200
The first was running Windows Vista Home Basic and the other Ultimate.

The result was between 80% and 99% or CPU Usage on both setups.

2. Intel DP35DP board with E6860 CPU with Asus / nVidia 8600 GTS, Vista Ultimate = <1%

3. Intel DG45ID board with E8400 CPU with Onboard D45 graphics = <1%

4. Dell XPS 420 with Q6600 CPU and Ati HD 2600 XT graphics card = <1%

5. Asus P5Q with ATI 1600, windows XP Pro = <1%

As far as i can tell, every setup not using a nVidia chipset works great.

Does anybody have any ideas ?
Change threaded optimization to off in the nvidia 3d settings. I can tell you from experience that this works on Windows XP. I can also tell you from experience, that this does nothing on Vista. I am using a 9400GT. Since you are on Vista, I don't know that this can actually be solved.
Yep. I noticed that if i turn off threaded optimization the cpu usage drops to about 20-25% but never goes bellow 20%.

So, basically, it's a problem with a nVidia chipset and Vista combination.

To confirm, I will install Windows XP on that computer and post the results.

Thanks.
I get the same thing in XP.
Well, that sucks. I was about to pull the trigger on a PC with an nVidia GeForce 7100 nForce 630i board. I wonder if I'm going to run into the same issue.
Pete7874 Wrote:Well, that sucks. I was about to pull the trigger on a PC with an nVidia GeForce 7100 nForce 630i board. I wonder if I'm going to run into the same issue.

I wouldn't let it be a factor. I noticed zero difference when disabling it. (other than the lower cpu usage)
RockDawg Wrote:I wouldn't let it be a factor. I noticed zero difference when disabling it. (other than the lower cpu usage)

Well, doesn't the high CPU usage cause the fan to run on high and thus the whole HTPC to become relatively noisy?
Pete7874 Wrote:Well, doesn't the high CPU usage cause the fan to run on high and thus the whole HTPC to become relatively noisy?

Yes it does. That is what bothers me the most.

Anyway, I installed windows Home Premium instead of Home Basic and the CPU dropped down between 5% to 8% after tweeking nVidia threading parameters and setting proper vSync in XBMC.

It looks like XBMC on Vista Home Basic or XP (not verified but mentionned by RockDawg in a previous post) have some problems with the nVidia driver.

I don't like the fact that I cannot use a Home Basic edition to run XBMC on PCs with nVidia chipset properly. Home Premium costs a bit more and its major feature is Media Center which I will never use.

It's still less expensive than to run on an Intel based PC but i wish that this nVidia problem could be resolved by the XBMC team.
please help -

High CPU when XBMC starts and idles on its screens. around 90% or more.
going to watch a movie will reduce it to 5-10% only.

removed xbmc and profiles and reinstalled - nothing.
updated to last build - nope.
removed NVIDIA 186.15 and installed older some ones - down to 175 - nada.

i had it working well once on this machine, but something went wrong..

log from just entring XBMC, waiting some and exiting - attach.

thanks for helping !

http://www.esnips.com/doc/3531bf4b-fc9b-...da6c3/xbmc
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=cpu

I had same problem on my notebook Acer Aspire 5930(Windows 7), but now I'm using XBMC on Asrock ION 330 (Windows 7).
CPU load in IDLE is ~15%
Avner, I put your log in a slightly more accessible place.

http://pastebin.com/m7d16caba
Sure someone will tell off in a minute for asking this question Laugh

Try changing the vsync setting sure it will probably drop with one of the settings available
Try to disable thread optimization in nvidia control panel, worked for me.
well , thanks for replaying.

changing VSYNC did helped partially, and dropped CPU from 90% to 25-30%.
it still "heavy", felt, when moving the mouse.

threaded optimization is not in my menus. from reading around - maybe its because i have single core CPU ?

any ideas on how to restore the quite CPU ?

is 186.18 supported anyway ?

thanks.
avnergid Wrote:well , thanks for replaying.

changing VSYNC did helped partially, and dropped CPU from 90% to 25-30%.
it still "heavy", felt, when moving the mouse.

threaded optimization is not in my menus. from reading around - maybe its because i have single core CPU ?

any ideas on how to restore the quite CPU ?

is 186.18 supported anyway ?

thanks.

That's probably about right, if you search this forum using 100% CPU your see lots of examples of people with the same problem

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HIGH CPU on Idle0