HIGH CPU on Idle
WiSo Wrote:The hack is just to limit the frame rate to 30 fps which is simply changing one value in application.cpp.

@WiSo:
You mean this one in CApplication::Render()?
Code:
unsigned int singleFrameTime = 10;

I also saw that there is already special handling when you use the "Black" screensaver.
So using this specific screensaver IS an already implemented workaround.

Just tested it and by observing my ProcessExplorer I could clearly see the reduced FPS when the screensaver kicked in.
It also rose again when the screensaver was dismissed.
Even when selecting Black the fade level wasn't 100% and I could clearly see the choppy RSS you've mentioned.

So job already done Big Grin

When starting XBMC on my laptop running on batteries I'd be happy to save some battery power at the cost of having choppy RSS scroller.

Bernd
Interesting. @WiSo, you say that the code is in there for "screensavers"--plural. I'm assuming that's for blank and black, or maybe dim and black. Is there a way to do the same thing for the pictures slideshow? I know the transition effects are pretty sweet, but I'd be fine having the effects only happen when I start a slideshow in photos, and have the "screensaver" just flip up images and save a LOT of CPU time by having a much lower fps (say, 1/9 fps if my images change every 9 seconds?)
afaik it's only for black so plural was wrong.
It might be doable for picture slide show as well maybe with a little bit more effort.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@WiSo: I'd love to take a crack at that if you could point me in the right direction (maybe a particular source file where it's done for black, and the location in source where the slideshow is done?)
fowie Wrote:@WiSo: I'd love to take a crack at that if you could point me in the right direction (maybe a particular source file where it's done for black, and the location in source where the slideshow is done?)

look for "lowfps" in CApplication::Render() in Application.cpp

Bernd
I would very much like to see this programmed. It's really annoying. I have a P4 2,6ghz where it uses 100% cpu when I display menus, whilst x264.720p movies plays at 50-70% CPU. The fans go wild. I use the Windows version (9.11)
Hi.

Have also the problems at one pc with the high usage.

1. System: XBMC 50% (9.11) , integrated MPC Player 4 % = > 54 %

- Asus 785G Mainboard with HD 4200 OnBoard graphic card
- Athlon II. 240 2x 2.8 GHz
- 2 GB-DDR3
- Win 7 Ultimate

2.System: XBMC 1% (9.11) , integrated MPC Player 4 % = > 5 %

- Asus P5N-D, ATI 4850
- 4-GB DDR2 1066
- Intel Quad Core 4x 2.83 GHz
- Win 7 Ultimate

I think System 1 is good enough.

- Have turned off vsync
- used in both systems Catalyst 9.12

I really dondt know why the usage from XBMC is to high. The solutions from the others to reduce the usage to ~ 20% doesnt run.

Where are the differences. Using the same XBMC, same ATI Driver etc..

thx
frankjacket Wrote:Anyway, I installed windows Home Premium instead of Home Basic and the CPU dropped down between 5% to 8% after tweeking nVidia threading parameters and setting proper vSync in XBMC.

I'm not sure what the vertical blank sync does, but turning it off lowers my CPU usage to nil on my new i7 PC with Nvidia graphics card.

With it on or set to let driver choose, XBMC would grab 25% CPU utilization running idle or playing anything but video. Start a video and CPU use would drop from 25% to 1-2%.

Setting threading parameters on/off/auto had no effect.

Thanks for the Vsync hint!
+1 vote for implementing Reduce FPS in menu Option.

Very, very needed feature for htpc with low end graphic card..
+1 even for me, for implementing a reduce fps option. At 60fps my gpu is running hot, and goes hot cpu too, cause they are on the same die (Sandy Bridge).
It has to do with refresh rate. An event-based GUI is the solution to high XBMC-idle load. Not having this feature is making xbmc itself the weakest part in energy-efficient media solutions based on xbmc. I believe topfs (gsoc project) is working on this.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102819
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102260
http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2010/05/24/beagle...gsoc-2010/
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97205
An event-based gui is the goal, but for now i think the "half refresh sync option" (30fps) should help with a very very little work... please do it!!
If your happy with the GUI running at 30fps then set your refresh rate to 30Hz and it will do then turn on adjust refresh rate so movies run at the correct rate
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
i got this too on my new board ( Asus E35M1-I )
the other board i had ( MSI E350IA-E45 ) does not have this , it itles at 20% in xbmc ( normal ) and plays about 12% CPU ...

the asus idles at 35-45% and plays at about 25-30%

1st Htpc : LC-power LC1360MI case with MSI E350IA-E45 , 2x2gb patriot , 2tb samsung eco
2nd Htpc : same as above except ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe
did anyone do the SP1 update Huh??
i did it 2 days ago , i just booted my MSI board and here too high CPU use and tearing images ... just after installing SP1 !!!

removed it via software but not better so reinstalling this night or tomorrow Sad

1st Htpc : LC-power LC1360MI case with MSI E350IA-E45 , 2x2gb patriot , 2tb samsung eco
2nd Htpc : same as above except ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HIGH CPU on Idle0