Returning Apple TV
Hey everyone.

Bought an apple TV today in the hope that it would be able to playback my 720p videos via XBMC, however very few of them actually play.

What steps do I need to go through to get rid of any trace of XBMC so I can return it? Just restore to factory defaults? Or am I screwed?

Thanks!
Factory restore. Everything in OSBoot partition will get nuked. There will still be stuff in Media which you can remove by ssh in and manually delete it before the factory restore. As I have no idea how you patchsticked nor which patchstick you used, I have no idea what might have been installed.
Sorry, didn't realise there was more than 1 patch stick.

I used http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

Are the uninstall instructions on there all I will need to follow to ensure Apple dont know I put this on?
Thanks
Kingsley Wrote:Sorry, didn't realise there was more than 1 patch stick.

I used http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

Are the uninstall instructions on there all I will need to follow to ensure Apple dont know I put this on?
Thanks

ssh in and delete;

/Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
/Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC
/Users/frontrow/Applications
/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log
/Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/CrashReporter.log

This will delete all xbmc app items.

The factory restore will take care of the rest (AppleTV plugins)
Thanks, all done.

As a side subject, what is the best reasoning to give to get a full refund? I live in UK if that helps.

Worth saying that I didn't realise I couldn't put films downloaded from other companies on there, or something like that?
Kingsley Wrote:Thanks, all done.

As a side subject, what is the best reasoning to give to get a full refund? I live in UK if that helps.

Worth saying that I didn't realise I couldn't put films downloaded from other companies on there, or something like that?

"full refund", good luck, most Apple returns are less 10 percent.
davilla Wrote:"full refund", good luck, most Apple returns are less 10 percent.

Not in the UK as far as I'm aware.
Although I wouldn't wind too much if it was minus 10%, but I'm pretty sure that policy isn't in the UK
They have a restocking fee of 10% other than that you will be fine, just say you purchased in error it does not do what you thought it did.
Better yet if they say no kick up a fuss in the store about apples apparent green credentials, and yet there is no off button on this damned thing and when I pull the lead there is a funny noise and burning smell. That'll get them!
garyi Wrote:Better yet if they say no kick up a fuss in the store about apples apparent green credentials, and yet there is no off button on this damned thing and when I pull the lead there is a funny noise and burning smell. That'll get them!

Big Grin That is very true, I did think it was bizarre there was no off button.

Also, the remote is RUBBISH!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Returning Apple TV0