XBMC for AppleTV Installation - Windows Based
Hi all. First time poster, so be gentle. Ha! I have an AppleTV that I would like to install the XBMC and Boxee programs onto. I have done the research and there is a lot about how to do this using a Mac, and the Windows work-around looks much more confusing. Is it possible for me to use a friend's Mac, download the App Installer to the USB, install onto my Apple TV, then use the XBMC with my Windows-based PC...or does it have to be the same platform that the programs originated from?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but didn't want to find out the answer by trial and error. The Mac install seems simple and straightforward, so would rather go this route if it works.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, what you have to do in a nutshell:
a) Get the ATV USB Creator - this is a MacOSX application.
b) Create your USB Stick with the app from a) on a mac.
c) Use that USB stick to install xbmc onto your appletv.

Before doing all that, read this wiki entry again so you get an understanding of what will happen Smile

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Clumsy Wrote:Yes, what you have to do in a nutshell:
a) Get the ATV USB Creator - this is a MacOSX application.
b) Create your USB Stick with the app from a) on a mac.
c) Use that USB stick to install xbmc onto your appletv.

Before doing all that, read this wiki entry again so you get an understanding of what will happen Smile

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV

Thanks! So just to clarify, if I do the steps above, my Apple TV will now work with my Windows based PC, even though I used the ATV USB Creator from a Mac?
Yep. It doesn't matter what you make the patchstick on. As long as you are sharing media correctly, you can use just about any platform.
-aedil-e
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for AppleTV Installation - Windows Based0