[Windows] h.264 video 'shutters' issues during playback
I have used XBMC for the better half of a decade, since it was XBMP. Now the introduction of high def has made the xbox obsolete and i am trying to use XBMC for PC.

I am having an issue viewing video i have encoded using the x264 encoder. When it plays back, high actions scenes seem to 'shutter'. part of the screen will seem to be ahead of the other parts and what should be a straight line becomes broken or shifted.

Initial googling told me it might be a hardware issue, so i invested in a new computer.

Specs:
2.8 Ghz Tri-core Phenom 2 AM3
4 Gigs DDR3
2 Sata drives in RAID 0
ATI 4770 graphics card

Yet the h.264 videos still shutter.

output specs

The high dropped frames is from fast forward / rewinding. Usually it stays below 5 throughout.

Any ideas how to correct this?
Also, the videos play fine in Video Lan, no shutter issues.
Sounds like you have vsync disabled.

Settings->Appearance->Screen
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Sounds like you have vsync disabled.

Settings->Appearance->Screen

Thanks, I will check if it is when i get home. However it is a fresh install, i haven't changed any defaults so if it is enabled by default then it still is enabled.
That seems to have improved it, the breaks in the action scenes are not as jagged. However the scenes that were the worse before Vsync was enabled are different. I can't describe what happens with any object that has fast motion, besides that it 'hurts' to watch if that makes any sense.

Any ideas? Can i provide any other details?

I love XBMC and hope i can figure this out. This computer rig should be powerful enough to handle this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] h.264 video 'shutters' issues during playback0