Scrap movie info from NFO instead of mymovies.xml
When there are both NFO and mymovies.xml for a movie, XBMC uses the info found in mymovies.xml instead of the NFO. I think the NFO should take the precedent.
You cannot do that currently
Hi All,
First, (as this is my first post here) I would like to send a great big thank you to all that contribute to the XBMC project. I think its really outstanding and very impressive!!!

Can anyone advise if there is a way to tell XBMC to ignore the MYMOVIES.XML files?

I am having a similar problem to casperse as indicated in the earlier posts of this thread..but slightly different. I have used the advancedsetting.xml to set the fanart and the thumbs and that does work well... however, since my collection was previously scrapped with Metabrowser, and it has left in each folder a MYMOVIES.XML file (additionally folder.JPG and backdrop.JPG), the native library building inside of XBMC does not produce the expected results.

It seems that when the MYMOVIES.XML file is present in the directory, XBMC may use some of its content but not all of it.... my library is getting populated with just the titles, short descriptions of plot, and a few other details, but I am not getting the actors, and other details.

Interesting point about the situation is that for TV Shows, XBMC does either appear to be ignoring the mymovies.xml files, or reading them correctly because the library is populated with all details perfectly. I am only experiencing this problem with Movies adding to the library.

The question I have is, can the processing of the MYMOVIES.XML files be disabled via configuration in XBMC? I did a small test with the same movies and deleted the MYMOVIES.XML files, and XBMC populated them into the library correctly. I really do not want to delete the mymovies.XML files as the directories and files are on a shared server that I use to access by several systems, and some of them need the XML file to operate properly.

Can anyone advise if there is a way to tell XBMC to ignore the MYMOVIES.XML files?
thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome to the forums.
No, currently there's no way to exclude/override the mymovies.xml file except by using a movie.nfo.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
vdrfan,
Thanks for the quick response!

Maybe I will just run a script then to rename all the mymovie.xml files to something else, import the movies into the XMBC library, and then run a script to rename them back...

I wonder if there are some other creative solutions
thanks!
Steve
Thumbs Up 
Well... I did some experimenting, and found that if I simply ADD the "movie.NFO" file into the directory with the correct URL to the IMDB ID of the movie, then it will properly add to the XBMC library ... Now I can keep my "mymovies.xml" files in place, and add an appropriate NFO file.

I wrote a small VBScript (windows) which will read the mymovies.xml file, and extract out of it the IMDB ID and the Title of the movie, and the construct a proper NFO file.

Furthmore, I wrote the script to recursively look into all directories... and I organize my movie boxed sets into subdirectory... with this info, my script also creates the needed <set> </set> tags in the NFO file, and uses the name of the parent directory as the box set name!

I have put the script here for anyone else who could use it...
Enjoy....

Code:
DIM strStartFolder
strStartFolder     = "M:\HD Movies"
Set FSO     = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Const ForReading   = 1
Const ForWriting   = 2
Const ForAppending = 8

createNFO FSO.GetFolder(strStartFolder), strStartFolder

sub createNFO (Folder, strStart)
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    For Each Subfolder in Folder.SubFolders
        GetIMDB Subfolder.Path, strStart
        createNFO Subfolder, strStart
    Next
End Sub

sub GetIMDB (Folder , strStart)
    Dim xmlDoc, objNodeList, strIMDB, strTitle, strSET
    strSET = ""
    strSET = Mid(folder,len(strStart&"\")+1, (InStrRev(folder,"\")    - len(strStart&"\") )  )
    if len(strSET) > 0  then strSET = left(strSET, len(strSET)-1)
    strSET = trim(strSET)

Set xmlDoc = CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument")
    xmlDoc.load(Folder & "\mymovies.xml")
    Set objNodeList = xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("IMDB")
    If objNodeList.length > 0 then
        For each x in objNodeList
            strIMDB = x.Text
        Next
    End If
    Set objNodeList = nothing

Set objNodeList = xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("LocalTitle")
    If objNodeList.length > 0 then
        For each x in objNodeList
            strTitle= x.Text
        Next
    End If

if (len(strTitle) > 0 ) and (len(strIMDB) > 0 ) then
        CreateTheFile Folder, strTitle, strIMDB, strSET
    end if
end sub

sub CreateTheFile (strFolder, strTitle, strIMDB, strSET)
    Dim objFSO
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    DIM objFile
    Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile(strFolder & "\movie.NFO")
    set objFile = nothing
    DIM objTextFile
    Set objTextFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile (strFolder & "\movie.NFO", ForAppending, True)
    objTextFile.WriteLine("<movie>")
    objTextFile.WriteLine("       <title>" & strTitle & "</title>")
        if len(strSET) > 0 then
        objTextFile.WriteLine("       <set>" & strSET & "</set>")
    end if
    objTextFile.WriteLine("</movie>")
    objTextFile.WriteLine("http://www.imdb.com/title/" & strIMDB)
    objTextFile.Close
end sub
sdellutri Wrote:Well... I did some experimenting, and found that if I simply ADD the "movie.NFO" file into the directory with the correct URL to the IMDB ID of the movie, then it will properly add to the XBMC library ... Now I can keep my "mymovies.xml" files in place, and add an appropriate NFO file.

I wrote a small VBScript (windows) which will read the mymovies.xml file, and extract out of it the IMDB ID and the Title of the movie, and the construct a proper NFO file.

Furthmore, I wrote the script to recursively look into all directories... and I organize my movie boxed sets into subdirectory... with this info, my script also creates the needed <set> </set> tags in the NFO file, and uses the name of the parent directory as the box set name!

Enjoy....

Thanks! Just used your script as I like MetaBrowser (fully automated scraping never seems to work for me!)
My problem is somewhat similar but i'm pretty new at this whole thing and im just not sure if i have everything setup properly... right now i am using My Movies collection management to sort all of my movies collection. But i have .vob files for the movies (Video_TS, Audio_TS) and in the main folder with those two folder names there is just the automatically created folder.jpg of the front cover and a MovieTitle.dvdid where its just the name the dvd gives when burnt to the HD. So when attempting to scrap it into XBMC it often times can't find the movie at all. I have had to manually search for the title and change it in My Movies.

I was wondering if this code you wrote will help in my situation or what you think would be the next step to take...

sdellutri Wrote:Well... I did some experimenting, and found that if I simply ADD the "movie.NFO" file into the directory with the correct URL to the IMDB ID of the movie, then it will properly add to the XBMC library ... Now I can keep my "mymovies.xml" files in place, and add an appropriate NFO file.

Enjoy....
mamayomyom Wrote:Scrap movie info from NFO...

Why would you want to get rid of the info in the NFOHuh

It could be perfectly good info!
sdellutri Wrote:Hi All,
First, (as this is my first post here) I would like to send a great big thank you to all that contribute to the XBMC project. I think its really outstanding and very impressive!!!

I am having a similar problem to casperse as indicated in the earlier posts of this thread..but slightly different. I have used the advancedsetting.xml to set the fanart and the thumbs and that does work well... however, since my collection was previously scrapped with Metabrowser, and it has left in each folder a MYMOVIES.XML file (additionally folder.JPG and backdrop.JPG), the native library building inside of XBMC does not produce the expected results.

It seems that when the MYMOVIES.XML file is present in the directory, XBMC may use some of its content but not all of it.... my library is getting populated with just the titles, short descriptions of plot, and a few other details, but I am not getting the actors, and other details.

Interesting point about the situation is that for TV Shows, XBMC does either appear to be ignoring the mymovies.xml files, or reading them correctly because the library is populated with all details perfectly. I am only experiencing this problem with Movies adding to the library.

The question I have is, can the processing of the MYMOVIES.XML files be disabled via configuration in XBMC? I did a small test with the same movies and deleted the MYMOVIES.XML files, and XBMC populated them into the library correctly. I really do not want to delete the mymovies.XML files as the directories and files are on a shared server that I use to access by several systems, and some of them need the XML file to operate properly.

thanks in advance!

I am new to this. So I do not understand your script at all or how to implement it. I have all my movies organized in folders as so: E:\movies\movietitle\movietitle.mkv, movietitle.dvdid, mymovies.xml, backdrop.jpg folder.jpg.

As you can see I do not have any NFO files. How do I get an NFO file with all the correct Info?

Unlike you I do not need the mymovies.xml file, But it seems to have all the info I want displayed, It just does not display all the info.

I have 2 Apple TV's connected to 2 HD TV's with XBMC Installed. I used to have just the movie files ".mkv" in one directory and I downloaded all the scrapers via XBMC remotely. Then my sister bought a Win 7 Media Center PC and she wanted acces to my movies. Win7MC needed a third party program for scrapers. I then organized all my movie.mkv files into folders, installed MyMovies. MyMovies seemed to download dvd covers but no backdrops and could not get quite a few covers correct. Then I noticed that XBMC Picked up the dvd covers and plot information and some other info.

Then I tried Media Center Master (MCM) seemed to work great! It Downloaded just about everything including backdrops.

What became frustrating is that both Win7MC and XBMC Natively will not pick up all of the info. I noticed XBMC will show a MPAA rating Icon on 2 or 3 movies and will pickup backdrops or fanart on a few movies not all. some dvd covers arent picked up at all.

So I completely deleted my old XBMC library and started from scratch. It will pick up plot on all movies (Huh). Not 1 MPAA Rating. Not all DVD covers. No Fanart. No cast. Some Directors. It will get file Info on all such as H.264 , Aspect ratio, Audio AC3,AAC,5.1, on all files.

My main concern is the MPAA Rating Icon to show for my Kids!

It seems that the MyMovies.xml file has all the info why would XBMC only read some of it?

What would be the best solution for me? Could I just rename the MyMovies.xml to a NFO file?

The "My Movies" Media Center "plug in" seems to get every bit of the information to display.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scrap movie info from NFO instead of mymovies.xml0