What is the average hardware life expectancy of an Xbox game-console?
Question 
I was just wondering how long they usually last.
Firesign3394 Wrote:I was just wondering how long they usually last.

IDK... i have had the one in my livingroom since the xbox first came out (first week it was released)...

MWAHAHAHAHA.. i posted before it was moved to a read only thread
What is the half life of a colour TV?

(Interestingly, google doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about with that quote)

Seems that many xboxes are still going just fine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It seems that according to an ex microsoft employee that if either the 360 or the original xbox survives the first 6months then it's likely to give you many years of service. my last xbox which was a version 1.0 just gave up the ghost the other day. But don't expect the more recent v1.6 the crystal one to last anywhere near as long as they used cheaper componants for that board. good value for money whichever way you look at itBig Grin
Ps who re opened the threadHuh
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
if you have the eeprom backed up you could just put another harddrive and most of the time its the harddrive that the first to go. so many years. IMo
There are quite a few different components in the things that are known to die regularly. Most of them are repairable or can at least be worked around.

Some people attempt to enhance the system's lifetime by removing the stock thermal paste and replacing it with arctic silver or similar. Oddly enough, these people also seem to report processor failure far more often then anyone else (and that's not something that can be recovered from, realistically speaking).
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
BTW i have a 1.2 and a 1.4 box.. the 1.2 is going incredibly strong (chipped with an Xchanger 2.5).. the 1.4 has always given me problems since i bought it and TSOP flashed it (random freezing and such)... I haven't found the harddrives to go bad (used the xbox one for 5 years until i switched to sata on my server and used the IDE drives in the boxes) but the dvd-rom goes bad really fast (i have the philips drives)..
jmarshall Wrote:What is the half life of a colour TV?

(Interestingly, google doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about with that quote)

Seems that many xboxes are still going just fine.

Parents had a 40" Slyvania CRT TV for about 30 years that finally died 5 years ago...
xbox 1.1 modded since release with X3 chip, 500GB hard drive, LCD etc, still running strong, dont know how many years it adds up to (at least 7 years).

"Long live the XBOX"
I've got a 1.0 and have replaced my DVDROM drive in it twice since I bought it about a year after it came out and it has worked flawlessly, even after softmod and xbmc installation.

That is, until I woke up today and found it had rebooted at some point and UnleashX screen failed -- looked all squirrelly and audio was buzzing like it looped on one of the ambient background sounds.

Now all it does is try to boot three times and starts flashing orange/red lights.

All troubleshooting info indicates a bad video connection, but I have checked and rechecked everything, unplugged and replugged everything -- It's piped through a modulator and both cable and Wii work, so I'm sure that the video connection is good.

Thought it might be the DVDROM Drive, but it finally opened after messing with it with a paper clip. Dunno what the problem is.

ARRRRRGH!
Baphomet Wrote:I've got a 1.0 and have replaced my DVDROM drive in it twice since I bought it about a year after it came out and it has worked flawlessly, even after softmod and xbmc installation.

That is, until I woke up today and found it had rebooted at some point and UnleashX screen failed -- looked all squirrelly and audio was buzzing like it looped on one of the ambient background sounds.

Now all it does is try to boot three times and starts flashing orange/red lights.

All troubleshooting info indicates a bad video connection, but I have checked and rechecked everything, unplugged and replugged everything -- It's piped through a modulator and both cable and Wii work, so I'm sure that the video connection is good.

Thought it might be the DVDROM Drive, but it finally opened after messing with it with a paper clip. Dunno what the problem is.

ARRRRRGH!

If you get it to boot again.. TSOP flash it Smile
do you get any error message or is the screen blank? if the screen is blank it's most likely the video chip that's failed which means you need a new motherboardEek
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:do you get any error message or is the screen blank? if the screen is blank it's most likely the video chip that's failed which means you need a new motherboardEek

Could be the connection on the A/V harness on the board desoldered.. Or there might be a break in the A/V cable somewhere... Try different ports on your tv and a different A/V cable if you have one.. I bought a component cable for 10 bucks at gamestop
Well average consumer electronics are designed with a life expectency of 7 years in mind. In case of the Xbox, I think it could at least do that except for the DVD-drive as most of them are crap (Philips/Thomson) and just fail after a while. Unless you're the lucky owner of a 1.1 Xbox ofc (which has Samsung) ;-)
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
Yes, in my experience, disc drives are the first to go. When it does, you have a couple of options. Replace the drive, replace the drive's eye, or set up the BIOS to ignore the drive altogether.

Mine hasn't had a disc drive for about a year now. Rofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the average hardware life expectancy of an Xbox game-console?0