[LINUX] Using MPlayer as External Player for videos, problem with XBMC always on top?
Question 
I am trying to use mplayer as an external video player, mostly for nupple (.nuv) support, but also for other videos that do not play with the default player. Has anyone else done this before and had any luck?

Whenever I try to open a video with mplayer set as my default video player it will play it behind XBMC. It also won't let me alt-tab to it. If I run XBMC in a window, mplayer will play the files fine full screen. It seems to have trouble taking the screen from XBMC. The XBMC screen will just freeze and I can hear the audio from the video. Stopping the video makes XBMC function again just fine.

Here is my current advancedsettings.xml, although I have tried just about every combination of settings that I can think of over the past 3 hours.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
   <defaultvideoplayer>externalplayer</defaultvideoplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
   <filename>/usr/bin/mplayer</filename>
   <args>-fs -ontop</args>
   <forceontop>true</forceontop>
   <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
   <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
   <hidecursor>true</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

I have tried many different combinations of arguments to mplayer and also settings in advancedsettings.xml but all seem to have the same effect. Can someone please help? Oh, and in case you were wondering I am running it on Mythbuntu 9.04 (32-bit)
i have no idea what the state of external players on linux is. you are pretty much the first i've seen using it. i guess it doesnt work Smile will play some tonite or something
I didn't realize I was such an adventurer. Smile If there is any more info that would help, please let me know. Thank you.
Hello, guys.

I'm trying to use mplayer as an external video player and can't enforce it to become the top-most window. When I start movie, mplayer starts but keeps hidden by xbmc main window.

xbmc 9.04.1, ubuntu 9.04

advancedsettings.xml:
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>/usr/bin/mplayer</filename>
<args>-fs -ontop</args>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

Settings are in effect:
Quote:20:35:57 T:3050149776 M:1841885184 NOTICE: Loaded advancedsettings.xml from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
20:35:57 T:3050149776 M:1841885184 NOTICE: ExternalPlayer Filename: /usr/bin/mplayer
20:35:57 T:3050149776 M:1841885184 NOTICE: ExternalPlayer Tweaks: Forceontop (true), Hideconsole (false), Hidecursor (false), Hidexbmc (true), StartupTime (5000)

What is wrong?

Thanx for help.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54674
For the confused ones: i merged the two threads, thanks Maxim for an open eye
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi,

I am seeing the same issue. I get the audio, but no video. Having to ctrl-alt-1 and killall on mplayer to get back to xbmc.

I have a 2.1ghz c2d, and can't manage 1080p reliably without using mplayer and coreavc. I was hoping this would be the solution to allow me to use xbmc again (I used it many moons ago on my original xbox).

Is there any other way I can use coreavc that I have missed whilst browsing the forums?

Cheers,
Paul
Using the external player is the only option. It seems that they weren't aware of it's behavior until just recently, i'm sure it will be address in due time. Has anyone opened a trac ticket for it?
pnlambert Wrote:Hi,

I am seeing the same issue. I get the audio, but no video. Having to ctrl-alt-1 and killall on mplayer to get back to xbmc.

I have a 2.1ghz c2d, and can't manage 1080p reliably without using mplayer and coreavc. I was hoping this would be the solution to allow me to use xbmc again (I used it many moons ago on my original xbox).

Is there any other way I can use coreavc that I have missed whilst browsing the forums?

Cheers,
Paul

Just making sure you are aware that with a $30 NVidia card, you could easily play anything inside of XBMC?

xnappo
He mentions coreavc, so I would assume he's running on windows. Then again, coreavc has nothing to do with mplayer either, so one of us is confused.
rodalpho Wrote:He mentions coreavc, so I would assume he's running on windows. Then again, coreavc has nothing to do with mplayer either, so one of us is confused.

There is a google code project which allows the use of the coreavc codec in linux. It works quite well if you can get it to work, but recent versions of ffmpeg have show quite a significant performance increase since the time that I used coreavc in this manner.

http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/
That's interesting. Last update was over a year ago, though.
rodalpho Wrote:He mentions coreavc, so I would assume he's running on windows. Then again, coreavc has nothing to do with mplayer either, so one of us is confused.

I am sorry to have to inform you that it is you that is confused my friend Smile

I am running a modified mplayer that makes use of the CoreAVC codec using the coreavc-for-linux patch/enabler. This handles the 'registry' for you, enabling an authorised copy of CoreAVC to run.

Running mplayer with this patch actually lets my 2.1ghz Dell Studio Hybrid play 1080p Planet Earth videos without any frame drop (well, maybe one or two but no stuttering!).

Unfortunately ffmpeg still doesn't compare to CoreAVC in a cpu restricted system in my testing.

As for the $30 Nvidia card xnappo, I don't seem to have anywhere to plug one in on my Studio Hybrid system. I could rebuild a new HTPC and get an appropriate card - one option, or I could reinstall Windows - another option that I don't fancy. The external player would allow my current hardware and XBMC - preferred option!

Maxim, am new to the forum so didn't realise I needed to open a ticket - will look to see if anyone else has done so!

Cheers,
Paul.
just give us some time i will look into it asap
No worries - wasn't trying to rush you, just answering some of the other responses. Smile

Let me know if you would like me to open a trac ticket and I will!

Cheers,
Paul.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Using MPlayer as External Player for videos, problem with XBMC always on top?0