• 3(current)
Linux HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct resolution (xorg.conf)
michal Wrote:I have to ask. Why are we using Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes" ??

Isn't this what is causing:

Mode is rejected: Modes from the PIONEER_TV (DFP-1)'s EDID are not allowed.

for ALL the supported HDTV modes of my TV? How can it ever be valid as described in the original post if we're excluding all EDID modes in the config? Or is this only for TV's with broken EDID's? Seems counter intuitive.

Should I be safe in creating modelines from the entries reported by the EDID? If I just let X use the modelines it detects I do not get 1920x1080@24 or @60 options in XBMC.

Regards,
Michal

That should only occur in situations where the device is supplying invalid EDID's. It would seem logical to assume the "ModeValidation" setting is generating that specific message. Here is a butchered version of what I found off Google:
Quote:For every possible mode, the mode is run through mode validation. The core of mode validation is still performed similarly to traditional XFree86/X.Org mode validation: the mode timings are checked against things such as the valid HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges and the maximum pixelclock. Note that each individual stage of mode validation can be independently controlled through the "ModeValidation" X configuration option.

Invalid modes are discarded; valid modes are inserted into the mode pool.

As validated modes are inserted into the mode pool, duplicate modes are removed, and the mode pool is sorted, such that the "best" modes are at the beginning of the mode pool.

After the mode pool is built for all display devices, the requested modes (as specified in the X configuration file), are looked up from the mode pool. Each requested mode that can be matched against a mode in the mode pool is then advertised to the X server and is available to the user through the X server's mode switching hotkeys (ctrl-alt-plus/minus) and the XRandR and XF86VidMode X extensions.

The driver is just saying the modes as supplied from EDID aren't valid for one reason or another. Not that the device can't handle that resolution, refresh rate, etc. So long as your device supports said resolution and refresh rate then specifying it in a modeline instead of being supplied by EDID should be ok and then available for use by XBMC.
periika Wrote:Hi,

I have the same problem as Chambers. Any ideas?

/Per

Try searching for "Overscan".
whelp, I've come to the conclusions that getting the correct resolution with my TV and ION board will not work with sound (through HDMI). Turns out that when I add the option;

Option "UseEDID" "False"

I get the correct resolution but there is no sound coming from my HDMI cable to my TV. I have a VIZIO L37HDTV. So I guess I will have to deal with the crappy overscanned resolution. I even went as far as to acquire the EDID, edit it, and then tell xorg.conf to use the custom EDID. I used instructions from here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129247 and here http://analogbit.com/node/23

I'm giving up

Here is the xorg.conf that sets the correct resolution (boy does it look nice) but gives me no sound Sad

If anyone can figure this out I'd appreciate the help, been dealing with this for over 8 hours now Sad

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName "VIZIO"
    ModelName "VIZIO L37HDTV"
HorizSync 31 - 70
VertRefresh 50 - 85
ModeLine "1360x768" 85.50 1360 1494 1624 1798 768 770 776 803 -hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1152x864" 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
Option "UseEDID" "False"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoWidthAlignmentCheck, NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
#Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
#Busid "PCI:3:0:0"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
#Option "ModeValidation" "NoWidthAlignmentCheck"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
sudo
Option "DPI" "100 x 100"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
Viewport 0 0
        Depth       24
        Modes        "1360x768"
    EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "1360x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
Modes "1360x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection
Having real trouble getting any valid 1920x1080 24 modes. i can only assume its the options i have set up in my xorg file. please can those that have working xorg files please post so i can see what options i am missing etc...

whenever i use a 1920x1080 mode that i think should be valid that isnt xbmc starts up in a silly res like 640x480

thanks
Chambers Wrote:whelp, I've come to the conclusions that getting the correct resolution with my TV and ION board will not work with sound (through HDMI). Turns out that when I add the option;

Just a quick update. When I use that config in Karmic, I keep getting a kernel crash (I am going to assume that it has someting to do with the hdmi stopping working). The screen still looks awesome though.

Anyway, I went out to Radio Shack and bought a headphone to rca adapter so that I could use the sound from the headphones to my TV and bypass the HDMI sound. I get sound now but there is a loud hiss that's also being sent to the speakers. Ugh, if it's not one thing it's another right? So again, I've been showed that my set up will not run correct resolution with sound...grrrr
i've given up getting 1360x768 on my pc.
karmic i386, nvidia 6200 pci and a 26" panasonic lcd.

despite having it working before on a pretty old (pre hardy) ubuntu i just can't get it working, i can get the right res but the picture is too wide and offset monitor controls don't have enough leeway to bring it all in, different modelines doesn't touch the picture position and xvidtune refuses to work (unable to query monitor info) error.
tempted buying an acer revo and use hdmi but can't justify dumping my current pc just to get another 256 horizontal pixels.

i'll have to make do with 1024x768 :<
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
I'm having a very similar problem - my XBMC build doesn't want to output anything higher than 1024x768 without losing sound. I've successfully changed the xorg file to get a beautiful resolution, but like others, that kills my audio. The native resolution of my TV is 1366 x 768.

I'm using an Aspire Revo AR1600 and am connected to a Pioneer VSX-919 receiver for my audio and video passthrough. The scan I ran said most of my EDID modes were invalid, which is why they don't show up in XBMC.

I had a Sony receiver and didn't have this problem, so I'm pretty sure this is tied to how XBMC treats the EDID modes. I guess I'll continue to keep trying out different combinations, but I'm leaning towards giving up and changing my zoom level each time I start a video, which I find incredibly annoying.
i had to dump vga and use a dvi2hdmi cable, i still can't get 1360x768 but i can get 1280x720 now.
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
What kills me is that I know this will put out the correct resolution as I've had it working before. 1280 X 720 would be perfect.

I don't understand why there can't be a way to force a standard set of resolutions in the XBMC GUI itself instead of forcing a very complicated method of changing the config file.
i did consider buying one of these but hard to find in the uk
http://www.hallresearch.com/page/Products/EM-EDID-HD15
I remembered that my Samsung TV, in the setup menu, has a JUST SCAN setting that cleared up all of the viewing issues that I had with my desktop on screen. Perhaps your monitor/TV has a similar setting. No messing around with any command line drama or driver manipulations on my setup now.
I have a Toshiba Regza 1080p 32" LCD and have an Acer Revo 3610 with XBMC Live 9.0.4 but the highest setting it shows is 1080i... is there something I'm doing wrong?
I have posted a new message in the Linux thread before I found this one.... Seems to be on the right track for a solution. I am not a linux buff, although I am comfortable poking around and changing things. It has never works so it is not like I will be loosing anything if I need to do a quick re-install.

Anyways, I have Acer X3200 with onboard Nvidia 8200 graphics. This is connected to an LG 42LC7D... When I install Live, I get dropped signals that cuts in and out as soon as I start going into any of the menus or trying to play any video.

I have worked through the tutorial, but have a problem with the results in the xlog.txt. I get no "Mode is Valid" for anything above 640x480.

TV is capable of 720p and 1080i. From what I read 1366x768@47 is the setting I am after.

With no config changes, the xlog.txt reports
Unable to validate any modes; falling back to the default mode
"nvidia-auto-select"

The auto select goes to 1366x768@60Hz. This appears to be the problem in that I think it is over driving the TV.

Any suggestions on how to get this working? For the record I get the same thing with Windows Vista and with Windows 7. It sticks to 60Hz, cuts in and out.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated! If you fix this for me I would even buy beers..

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Any experts on this stuff live around Oshawa Ont? I will glad buy beer/food or provide small sums of cash for assistance :-)

Been fighting with this for a few nights now and getting nowhere... Highest res I can get to work without tv blanking out is 640x480... At this rate I might as well bring my Xbox back out of the closet and use it... Ugh!

Anyways, I have been hacking around the xlog.txt file but unable to get any modelines that work.... By adding

Quote:Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
Option "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE"

I can get the following mode

Quote:(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): Validating Mode "1360x768":
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): Mode Source: EDID
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): Pixel Clock : 85.50 MHz
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): HRes, HSyncStart : 1360, 1424
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): HSyncEnd, HTotal : 1536, 1792
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): VRes, VSyncStart : 768, 771
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): VSyncEnd, VTotal : 777, 795
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): H/V Polarity : +/+
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): HorizSync (47.7 kHz) out of range (28.000-33.000 kHz);
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): however, ignoring HorizSync check for DFP frontend
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): mode validation
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): Mode (1360 x 768) is too large for DFP Native Resolution
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): (Max: 720 x 480); mode will not be allowed to scale to
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): the DFP's native resolution.
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): BestFit Scaled and BestFit AspectScaled are identical;
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): collapsing BestFit AspectScaled.
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): BestFit Centered and BestFit Scaled are identical;
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): collapsing BestFit Scaled.
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): BestFit Centered 1360x768
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Horizontal Taps 0
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Vertical Taps 0
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Base SuperSample 1
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Base Depth 32
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Distributed Rendering 1
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Overlay Depth 32
(II) Dec 04 22:26:37 NVIDIA(0): Mode is valid.

I have created and tested the modeline for this with the same results of cutting out intermittently..

I guess I should add that the PC is connected to the TV via HDMI. I have not tried DVI or VGA, but would rather not do to limitations of each (no audio and lower quality).

Again any assitance on this is GREATLY appreciated.. I will gladly paypal $20 to someone if they come up with a winning modeline.

At this point I am willing to try most anything. If I cook the TV it gives me an excuse to buy a new one, not that I have the cash for that, but that is what credit is for ;-)

Cheers all and thanks for reading.

Mike
I just wanted to say thanks for this thread guys. I recently upgraded to a Panasonic 65" Plasma (TC - P65V10) and there is a bug in the way it receives EDID audio information from the Nvidia cards that causes my analog audio to cut out. I had previously used the Option "UseEDID" "FALSE" line in xorg.conf to get the tv to keep using analog audio but this caused me to lose the 60hz/24hz video switching capability. Using this thread I was able to define the 60hz and the 24hz 1080p modes and still disable the EDID option to solve the audio problem. Now 60/24 switching works great and my audio still works.

THANKS!!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct resolution (xorg.conf)6