• 4(current)
Linux HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct resolution (xorg.conf)
I have an Acer Revo with Vista which boots into Ubuntu on an SD card, which is connected to an Atec Full HD tv with an HDMI cable. In windows I could always get 1920x1080 to work using the nvidia control panel to adjust for overscan but ubuntu with xbmc would only get 640x480. I firstly tried all the explanations in this thread and others on the forum but they rely on the tv properly reporting EDID codes which my cheap ATEC display won't do. The working xorg.conf for my setup is:
Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       15.0 - 46.0
    VertRefresh     59.0 - 61.0
    Option         "DPMS"
    Option       "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
    Option       "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1080"
    EndSubSection
    Option         "NoBandWidthTest" "TRUE"
    Option         "UseEdidFreqs" "FALSE"
    Option         "UseEdid" "TRUE"
    Option       "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoVesaModes, NoUserModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, NoMaxSizeCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck"
    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
EndSection

One important thing to remember is that "UseEdid" "FALSE" disables sound over HDMI.
thanks managed to use this to set up my samsung LE40R620. Worth mentioning to plug the TV direct to the PC when setting this up. I had it plugged into my TV via my amp and it caused no end of problems.
Finally managed to get my xorg.conf to work really good.
This is for the asrock 330 with a pioneer kuro plasma conncted via hdmi and resolution running at 1920x1080. 24p, 50p and 60p working perfectly and all jitter is gone.
Posting this in case it can help other people Smile

Quote:Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 15 - 69
VertRefresh 23 - 61
ModeLine "1920x1080@24" 148.50 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1920x1080@50" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1920x1080@60" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
Option "HWCursor" "False"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080@60" "1920x1080@50" "1920x1080@24"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
ynwa
i am looking at buying an acer revo soon have had a look at xbmc live, very impressed, but would also like to be be able to use xbmc and use linux as normal OS.

as i said before totally new to this, so all suggestion would be most helpfull and greatly appreciateed.

question being how set up linux as OS and also be able to XBMC when i need to.?

many thanks
Hi,

Im following the guide but having problems with reading the EDID information of my TV-

Code:
(WW) Dec 14 14:54:04 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
(WW) Dec 14 14:54:04 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-1

here is my xlog.txt - http://www.mediafire.com/?0ytmgw3mmjd

Im running a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80B connected directly via VGA cable

How can I got about setting the resolution properly? XBMC doesnt look so great @640x480
i have a viera too and it doesn't support EDID on vga but it does on hdmi.
i use a dvi to hdmi cable now.
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
mwoody Wrote:Hi,

Im following the guide but having problems with reading the EDID information of my TV-

Code:
(WW) Dec 14 14:54:04 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
(WW) Dec 14 14:54:04 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-1

here is my xlog.txt - http://www.mediafire.com/?0ytmgw3mmjd

Im running a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80B connected directly via VGA cable

How can I got about setting the resolution properly? XBMC doesnt look so great @640x480

I have now fixed this, here is how-

I looked at my TV's manual, and in the back amongst all the tech spec it said it supports a pc signal of 31-69khz horiz and 59-86khz vertical.

I manually changed the refresh lines in the xorg.conf file and then ran

Code:
X -verbose 6 > ~/xlog.txt 2>&1

and this time I had supported modes Smile everything is functioning fine

Hope this helps people that cant auto detect edid info
Has any one figured it out yet? My EDID reports it dosent do any 1080p or 1080/24p ive tried everything and i fail, am using ubuntu karmic im bout 1 step away from slaming this damn htpc into the wall
hey your tutorial always worked fine, but it is not listed in xbmc. how can i get all my resolutions Modeline so i can select within xbmc and have it change with the media being played. and does anyone kno how to calibrate the overscan im not sure if the lines in the corner should b in the corner of the screen or should i have it right outside of view and only see the arrow. Tongue help me i want perfection Smile

I can see its 24hz and my tv reorts it but xbmc report 1920 x 1080 @ 50 hetz so idk what to do to get it acurate to only the settings i input, also with the over scan, shouldnt there be none? No over scan with hdmi i would hope so movies that are for example 1820 x 800 are now 1826 784 so arent i losing quality, idk im curious help meo ut please.
geant90 Wrote:and does anyone kno how to calibrate the overscan im not sure if the lines in the corner should b in the corner of the screen or should i have it right outside of view and only see the arrow.

Adjust the settings on your TV to turn on 1x1 pixel mapping.
The-Boxhead Wrote:Make sure that the "(II)NVIDIA(0): Mode is valid." line exists on the one you pick.

On some displays EDID information is not correct, so this cannot always be expected. For example I have one tv, that has 1280x720 panel, but none of the 720p modes is compatible with EDID infrormation fetched from the tv and only smaller resolution and 1080i modes are valid. So I have to just pick one 1280x720 mode with suitable refresh rate and try that. Then add
Code:
Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
to the Screen section. If tv then reports correct resolution and picture is ok, no action is needed, if not ok, try again with another mode.
motd2k Wrote:This is called overscan - it'll normally be an option on your TV (look for thing called Zoom or Overscan and disable them)

motd

Not all users use panel tv. There are also those using projectors and/or rear projection tv models. It is not rare that some portion of panel's pixels is outside of the viewable area. This is true at least on some rear projection tv models and still a nececcity (at least in my opinion) with any projector, because the edges of the picture will never, or rarely be straight and/or geometrically correct. And that's why screens usually have black bars on their edges. So sometimes it really is necessary to get for example 1912x1072 resolution centered for 1080p panel.

This is also why I think that it is a huge problem with projectors, that have 1920*1080 panel and the material is 1:1 same resolution. Usage of overscan then always results to scaling material onto another resolution. Or some portion of material is not viewable. With movies such cropping is not necessarily a problem, as at least movie studios do cut (or at least did before) movies so that there is no relevant material on possible overscan area. But for example with XBMC user interface fills whole panel and there is no option for adding any kind of padding around the interface (or is there, I'm relatively new to XBMC, but have used other htpc interfaces in the past)

Fortunately though this is not anymore as huge problem, as it was with CRT projectors (the edges of picture are virtually always unusable), but then again, they were/are analog devices and can usually use a bit larger resolution than source material is. So adding pixels to the edges weren't such a problem. But at least I like to use black bars on edges of the screen still with LCD projection and I think that there are some others too.
Has anyone tried this with 9.1.1?
Ok, I've been reading this thread, and all the linked threads and I'm having a fair bit of issues getting correct video resolution with xbmc and tv.

its a phillips projection scan, that according to the manual supports:
1080i 60hz
720p 60hz
480p 60hz
480i 60hz

I tried reading the edid with the read/parse edid functions over hdmi and got nothing valid from the tele.
i was going to manuall create modlines, but without the horizontal and vertical refresh i think i'm sol on that. Anyone have hints on what I should try next?

thanks!
this is on xbmc live camelot, installed to a standalone drive
biggles Wrote:Thanks a lot for the guide!

I had to add the following under Section "Screen" in xorg.conf.

Code:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

I also had to remove my guisettings.xml (in userdata folder) to get correct identification of the different modes.

Just lost my xorg.conf when upgrading to the final 9.11, needed to add this else all my previous settings did not work!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct resolution (xorg.conf)6