• 2(current)
Aeon based skins slow ?
A knew there was ways to optimize stuff Smile
Looking forward to this, optimising all the aeon specific textures
sounds like a good idea. If performance mainly takes a hit due to the aeon textures it makes sense. Cause when i use like Mediastream Redux performance is lightning fast wich rules out that it has to do with my movie thumbs, fanart backdrops etc.

and also i remember seeing it in another thread but couldent find it again. the scrolling performance when using cowerflow in Aeon is weird, this does not happen in other skins so it has to be something wrong with the way Aeon handles it.
Was there ever any sollution to this ?
I have not used Redux but maybe the textures are made for 720 and not 1080?

/needtotest
needtotest Wrote:I have mentioned this earlier but maybe we can get Hitcher and/or Black (the mods that I am using the most) to use png gauntlet (http://brh.numbera.com/software/pnggauntlet/) to get the most of the png's in the skin - this will take 10% of the size of most of the pngs and help on the performance. And if Hitcher and Black will do this - then it is done at the source and will help all of us.

/needtotest

I use the export for web in photoshop and I think this compression will not save that much space that it will be noticeable as it's already compressed by photoshop.
I tried this on the /media folder and if you don't use the "Extreme (Slowest)" setting some of the files actually become larger. The Extreme settings shrinks filesize by about 7% on average.

Thought I'd share. =)
Not noticing any difference in performance I'm afraid.
This is one reason why I've always been hesitant about "1080p Optimized" skins. Sure, they look great, but a tiny bit of a sacrifice on the part of the image files that is, IMO, barely noticeable to 99% of the users is worth doing if the performance benefits from it.
Its worth checking your using the right vsync setting with debug on just in case that's eating some of your CPU and making things worse Rolleyes
yeah maybe adding a 720p package for those who dont need the 1080 images.
i tried manually scaling some images to 720p and i cant realy see any big difference. im running 1080 40" samsung trough hdmi...
The-Boxhead Wrote:yeah maybe adding a 720p package for those who dont need the 1080 images.
i tried manually scaling some images to 720p and i cant realy see any big difference. im running 1080 40" samsung trough hdmi...

I run 1080p on a 42" LG and I can see a difference too, but if I were to chose between that difference (which I don't know if I would call "big", myself) and faster performance, I would go with the performance. I'm sure everybody has their own opinion on this though Nerd
Ran all the textures through PNG Gauntlet and it didn't make any difference to performance even on my old single core PC.
Then i dont get why aeon would be slower...
i mean if its not the size of textures, fanart, posters and thumbs then
it either has to be the amount of xml code or some bugs
in the code.
I'm pretty sure it's just the amount of coding used to get all that stuff on screen. Of the skins you mentioned I don't think one of them is displaying as much info as Aeon (with the exception of MediaStream_Redux's 'Info Wrap' view and that's only got a large poster whereas Aeon can have another fanart image or extra thumbs and it's also showing the studio icons).
To be quite honest, I'd look in the code for animation lengths of whatever you are finding slow. I know Aeon uses fairly long animations changing windows for instance. This is time that you simply have to wait to get from one screen to the next.

You should find it'll take exactly the same time to move through a list, assuming you don't have excessive (non-background) image loading and so on slowing things up (and assuming that the <scrolltime> hasn't been specified too long).

While it does use far more controls than any other skin, I doubt there's all that much difference with respect to loading times and so on.

Obviously things load much faster if they're compressed in an XPR - particularly if they're not background loaded.

Optimizing the PNGs isn't going to do much at all.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

XPR file is not faster here, I tested it, no difference on my system. Maybe on slower machines theres a difference but as the xpr file is 40% bigger than the png files, I don't think so.
Im quite sure there is ways to improve the performance of aeon.
gonna test some more from what the skinning engine boss himself says Wink

My problem with aeon now adays is that nothing feels "snappy" anymore.
theres lagging almost everywhere i try to navigate, this again causes me to hit the wrong buttons and leading to frustration. And with a wife and two kids using this problem gets worse Wink

I post back my findings, just dont hope that aeon becomes bloated because theres a limit for my performance versus user experience Smile doesent help in the long run if skin is beatiful and has most bells and whistles if its hard to navigate and use.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon based skins slow ?0