Unable to use LAN or WLAN
Sad 
Hello everyone, my first post

Yesterday I took delivery of a Acer REVO and successfully managed to install XBMC from a usb stick.

The problems I have are

i.)
When I plug in a LAN cable nothing happens.
ii.)
The WLAN appears disabled.

I must stress I am not a LINUX expert.

Please help if you can; its so frustrating, when I originally opened the box and set the thing up using the ACER REVO software I was able to get on line using wireless lan.

Thanking you all

SimonSad
welcome!

for wireless, this is my bible.
for ethernet, the comands you need are "ifconfig" and "dhclient" basically.
but "dmesg" should say something: compare the output before and after plugging in the cable. If it says nothing, you have a hardware problem or a bad cable/network.
the place where network configuration are stored is /etc/network/interfaces (although that file may be overwritten by some other app...)

This should suffice to get you started in the right direction & study for some time Big Grin
rickx Wrote:welcome!

for wireless, this is my bible.
for ethernet, the comands you need are "ifconfig" and "dhclient" basically.
but "dmesg" should say something: compare the output before and after plugging in the cable. If it says nothing, you have a hardware problem or a bad cable/network.
the place where network configuration are stored is /etc/network/interfaces (although that file may be overwritten by some other app...)

This should suffice to get you started in the right direction & study for some time Big Grin

Thank you very much for the warm welcome Rickx.

Problem i.) is solved, rather embarassingly :o too; I plugged the ethernet cable in before turning the box on and it found and the router assigned an ip address straight away, I am on line and now Big Grin.

One question, how do I get to a prompt to type in these commands? I guess I really need to read up on LInux basics eh?

Problem ii.) wireless, I will read the article and have a go.
Comment: I understand XBMC is based on Ubuntu. It is so easy in Ubuntu to configure wireless etc etc. Why did the XBMC developers make it so hard? Why not keep that part of Ubuntu simplicity visible??

Thanks again

Simon.
Quote:Comment: I understand XBMC is based on Ubuntu. It is so easy in Ubuntu to configure wireless etc etc. Why did the XBMC developers make it so hard? Why not keep that part of Ubuntu simplicity visible??

I assume that you have installed xbmclive? It does not support wifi (yet) that why you have to do it the hard way.

If you like me want to learn linux a bit by bit I really recommend that you install a full ubuntu desktop and then add xbmc. There is a guide in the wiki.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step

The best option then is to run xbmc in a gdm session.
To get wifi in the gdm session:
Quote:Wifi WPA2 in XBMC session (USB adaptor)
-------------------
1) Left click on network icon and select network & Connect
2) Right click on network icon , edit connecttions, wireless, select network, Edit - Click Always allow - Check Available to all users
- check remember autorization & enter password
3) Reboot and make sure that no dialog is necessary to connect wifi => Should work fine in the XBMC session.
(http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54705)
siherts Wrote:Comment: I understand XBMC is based on Ubuntu. It is so easy in Ubuntu to configure wireless etc etc. Why did the XBMC developers make it so hard? Why not keep that part of Ubuntu simplicity visible??

It's not like it's just to bring it in, we need to hook it up to our GUI, it's alot of work involved. Patches welcomed.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
vikjon0 Wrote:I assume that you have installed xbmclive? It does not support wifi (yet) that why you have to do it the hard way.

If you like me want to learn linux a bit by bit I really recommend that you install a full ubuntu desktop and then add xbmc. There is a guide in the wiki.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step

The best option then is to run xbmc in a gdm session.
To get wifi in the gdm session:

(http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54705)

Thank you for your kind response.
I installed XBMC from a USB I created using unetbootin. It is now on the hard drive of my new Acer Aspire REVO. Is this xbmclive?

May I ask what is a gdm session?

Thanks again

Simon.
Quote:Thank you for your kind response.
I installed XBMC from a USB I created using unetbootin. It is now on the hard drive of my new Acer Aspire REVO. Is this xbmclive?

The question is what did you downloaded and put on the USB with unebootin? I am gussing you downloaded the xbmcLive iso.

If you want to install a full ubuntu desktop with graphical wifi config you should start by reading the guide and download the ubuntu desktop CD burn it to USB.
This will require some reading on your part. If you do not have time for that, the LiveCD is perfect but as you now know that does not support config of wifi.

EDIT: GDM is the Gnome display manager, but that is not important. Read the guides.
If you interested in icon editing, try IconLover icon editor.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to use LAN or WLAN0