• 4(current)
Linux HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop
Quote:FYI, you may want to add that in order for the power button on the remote to suspend you need to set it in the settings of XBMC
That is one possibility, I don't do it like that myself. I do suspend from the shutdown menu. What I would like to do is to change the power button to bring up the shutdown menu (like pressing s on keyboard). I haven't looked in the key mapping yet though. You will find this information in the wiki and the forum.

Quote:Also, when i log into the xbmc session I get a mouse pointer on the screen, any way to fix that?
I think you need the hw curser fix:
sudo sed -i '40i\ Option "HWCursor" "False"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
rock on, that cursor thing did it. I'll check mappings tonight for the remote. I agree that it'd be nice to bring up the shutdown menu. Plus, I'm going to try and map more keys so that I can go into the queue menu and such. great stuff, loving my Zotac ION box!!
@vikjon0: i need your help again Wink
i want to access the asrock over VNC, to administrate xbmc (movie and episodes db, etc.).
when i login in a gnome session vnc works, but in the xbmc, there is no VNC available.

can you explain me, how i can manage this?
Quote:i want to access the asrock over VNC, to administrate xbmc (movie and episodes db, etc.).
when i login in a gnome session vnc works, but in the xbmc, there is no VNC available.

The default gnome vnc server does not not handle multiple sessions, only the console. Exactly why it does not work in the xbmc session without the desktop I don't know but it would be of no use if it did.

This is actually the first problem i encountern when I started with linux a few months ago. I spent a lot of time on setting up a vnc server with multiple sessions.
If you don't mind initiate each session manually over SSH all you have to do is to upgade to a better vnc server. vnc4server(?) or vnclight. The problem is to get automatic session handling. I never found a good solution and I don't have my notes anymore. This does not seem to be the prefered way to go in linux(?)

A very simple solution is to connect over xdmcp. If you are connecting from another ubuntu just logout, do F10 and select "remote sesssion" and connect to another machine. If you are using windows you have to install a client. E.g. Xming. For some reason I sometimes had problems doing this with gnome. I had to install e.g. xfce for this purpose. This does not seem to be very popular either...I think becasue it is not secure. Linux people like SSH..

Instead I have opted to use NX server that use SSH to communicate and is easy to use and set up.

Install NX server: (SSH is a pre-req)
Code:
wget [url]http://64.34.161.181/download/3.3.0/Linux/nxclient_3.3.0-6_i386.deb[/url]
wget [url]http://64.34.161.181/download/3.3.0/Linux/nxnode_3.3.0-17_i386.deb[/url]
wget [url]http://64.34.161.181/download/3.3.0/Linux/FE/nxserver_3.3.0-22_i386.deb[/url]

sudo dpkg -i nxclient_3.3.0-6_i386.deb nxnode_3.3.0-17_i386.deb  nxserver_3.3.0-22_i386.deb

sudo reboot

Install the NX client and connect to the HTPC!
Hi vikjon0,

i´ve installed SSH and the NX Server.
I download the NX Client for Mac.

I can directly access the GNOME Desktop, but when i start XBMC, it said i need an OpenGL grphics driver.

I tried to change the Desktop Settings to VNC and RFB, but the the NX say: no RFB found ...
Quote:I can directly access the GNOME Desktop, but when i start XBMC, it said i need an OpenGL grphics driver.

Quote:to administrate xbmc (movie and episodes db, etc.).

I may have missunderstod you. I assumed you wanted to do this admin in the gnome desktop not in the XBMC interface.
Why do you need a remote session to do admin in XBMC? Why not use a wireless keyboard or the remote?
I know it works XDMCP but I don't see the point. Downlad a mac xwin client and test.

Maybe you should test the xbmc web interface or one of the other "remote control" applications available in the forum instead. I have not tested my self but the target seem to be playlist & music remote control.
thanks again.

ok i can admin my ubuntu distri this way. i try the managment of xbmc by keyboard and/or remote.
Ok, good. I use it all the time.
You could always test to login with XDMCP when you feel like it.

seem like OS X supports X11
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switche...s-mac.html
Looks like you need to google a nice guide how to use it though... otherwise just google xdmcp mac
Thanks for writing this guide. I have an ION 330 on order, and I can't wait to get it to put this guide to the test.
Another question Wink

I´ve installed the AEON Skin. After installation and a reboot i choose the aeon skin and it works.
But after another reboot i am back on PM3.HD and ALL! other skins don´t work. They are grey in menu. Any idea?
No, I havent seen that problem.
Strange since it works after 1 reboot...
buzzer post a Debug Log
Hi,

I just wanted to thank for this great guide, and share my experience. I followed it verbatim for my homemade HTPC that uses also the ION architecture, a Zotac IONITX mb, with 4Gb of RAM, and everything went smooth and works great even with 1080p!

Thanks.
HTPC - Zotac IONITX-A, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD - Ubuntu 9.04 - XBMC - Transparency! skin

My blog... | CNC | XBMC | Holography
Good to hear!
Anyone who want to change default bios image of their Asrock ION 330 can grab moded bios from here.
I also accept ideas and requests for new background images.

Image Image Image
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Asrock ION 330 with full Ubuntu Desktop0