picoLCD 256x64 support in XBMC
Hey all,

Just bought the Zotac IONITX-C, m350 case, and a picolcd 256x64 USB LCD screen.

http://www.mini-box.com/picoLCD-256x64-OEM

Overall it has pretty good support for Linux, but I'm wondering if ANYONE has attempted to and did/didn't have success getting it working with XBMC.

Thanks.
As far as it's usable with lcdproc it should "just work"™
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
"Should" or "Does" just work?

I'm not having any success yet.

Are there any special packages that should be installed in Ubuntu besides lcdproc for this LCD to work?

Has anyone actually had it work for them?
Well a quick google brought up that it's apparently only supported by lcd4linux - which in turn is not supported by xbmc. Patches always welcome Big Grin
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Yeah, that was the part that was really confusing me, I'm not overly experienced in programming or making patches though.

It's a pretty nice LCD to use, but could be a pain to get working in XBMC.

I guess I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone had gone through the trouble to get it working.
No problem. You cold post a feature suggestion if you like. I'm no crack either, but i think it boils down to adapting lcdproc calls to lcd4linux ones. If i had a display maybe i could do it myself Big Grin
I was going to post a feature request, I just thought I'd throw it out here before I did it.

The screens are actually not a bad price, I'm mostly using mine for system monitoring right now (Pretty much because that part of it actually does "just work" with no configuration). I'm still playing to see what kind of customization is easy to do.
They're not that expensive in the US i guess. Over here they're about 70 EUR - which is clearly too much for something i cannot read in couch distance anyway...
Yeah for sure, you could get an actual PC lcd for that price. Here it was about half the price of a PC lcd. My original intension was to use in in a carpc setting, which it would be perfect for.
Hi! I found another display with only lcd4linux support - hacked digital photo frame.

Unlike picolcd it's very cheap, color, and have fine looking casing. I bought one for my shiny xbmc htpc, but seems no way to make xbmc and lcd4linux work together. Is any way to adapt lcd4linux driver part to lcdproc (or to graphlcd or to serdisplib)?

It costs $12 on ebay, $17 on dealextreme and ridiculous €2.90 on pearl.de

Some links:
Hacking DPF and making work with lcd4linux
DPF working with Netgear Stora MS2000

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
picoLCD 256x64 support in XBMC0