[MAC] playercorefactory.xml (r21749) ...no external player support on Mac anymore?
(2021-11-13, 19:57)Dr. Angelo Wrote: DIRECTORY PATH confusion
Trying to set a path in playercorefactory.xml that works in v18 Leia. But KODI log says VLC player doesn't exist.
If I choose PLAY WITH VLC from context menu, KODI freezes, and VLC is open on the Mac desktop (with a VLC cleanup error message).
Can you offer any advice on how to determine the correct <filename> path? Por Favor :0)

Q: So, if playercorefactory.xml is in the userdata folder where it's suppose to be, how does it get out of that directory and find its way back up to the Mac's "Applications" directory?
The recommended path does not work, i.e. <filename>/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC</filename>

Thank you for your kind help :0)

just tested with v19.3 release - works fine on my Mac. The file is in ~/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/playercorefactory.xml, its contents are: (copied from the wiki and only adjusted executable path)
xml:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC</filename>
      <args>--fullscreen "{1}"</args>
      <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule video="true" player="VLC"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
kambala - Thank You for your quick reply.

I'm sorry if I was not clear.
I don't understand why KODI can't find VLC -- unless the path in playercorefactory.xml is incorrect?

You mentioned the playercorefactory.xml location:
~/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/playercorefactory.xml 
But KODI is in the Applications Folder, and so is VLC. 
Doesn't KODI need to go out of that folder and drill down to ~/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/ to read the playercorefactory.xml file?
Or does KODI just automatically check that folder when it starts up?

Log file only says VLC does not exist.

Hope this is more clear for you - but I know i feel pretty confused right now :0/

Be well, I hope you enjoy an interesting rest of your day!
(2021-11-14, 20:20)Dr. Angelo Wrote: Or does KODI just automatically check that folder when it starts up?

this.
Got it. THX kambala.

It's gotta be the path then right?
You mentioned: "...copied from the wiki and only adjusted executable path"
How did you adjust  the first part of the path exactly, please?
On my mac is in the very same location, but the Log says it does not exist "/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC"

Thank you kambala.
You are very kind to offer your help :0)
(2021-11-14, 23:49)Dr. Angelo Wrote: How did you adjust  the first part of the path exactly, please?
On my mac is in the very same location, but the Log says it does not exist "/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC"

just entered correct path to VLC which is /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC for me.

maybe you have some permission issues? e.g. you run Kodi under different user or so. Try moving VLC to a different location, e.g. to ~/Applications (your user folder).
Thank you kambala

I set Applications folder permissions to r/w, but log still says VLC doesn't exist.
What's odd is that when play with is used to choose VLC, it attempts to open VLC in the finder not in KODI (but there's usually a VLC error message, while KODI often freezes). So somehow the path actually is finding VLC and trying to open it. Just not in KODI. 

I prefer using KODI's built player, but recently it's been acting up. After one file is played, the next file you play starts to have intermittent lag. If you EXIT out of KODI then restart KODI, that same file plays fine. But then the next file you try to play has lag issues. I even reinstalled KODI, but that didn't help this (sigh).

Anyway, thank you for all of your input. You've been helpful and I do not want to be a burden for you.
This issue is maybe the most stubborn and confusing tech issue I have experienced since 1984 (when I got the first Mac).

Be well, take care, and enjoy Life!
--If I do ever get this figured out, I'll post the solve. ;0)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] playercorefactory.xml (r21749) ...no external player support on Mac anymore?0