Thumbs cache issues
Right can I start by saying : Wiki - Done it, Search this forum = done it and google = done it.

Going round in circles with 2 issues :-
What do i delete in order to fully re build my thumbs cache for films, music and pics. ?

In the user data bit I found loads of folders 1 2 3 4 ... a b etc etc which i went through and delted all files within each leaving the empty folders there for structure. Booted up XBMC on machne running vista ultimate yet all old thumbs there, nowt changed!! I have added new images to many folders using the "folder.jpg" method and the . tbn all to no avail.

Second issue is that I in my films/vids I have a library button which is ghosted depite library being selected in set up!!!

Did I say a couple of issues LaughLaughLaughLaugh

one other is that id like to change some images in the homes screen IE the cat for photos and may be the weather one but cant find how to do it.

I have come over from media portal and love xbmc (see other posts) and have got a stable install but with these few gripes. Help me out guys as be afraid to start random tinkering but just wann get it running sweet

Cheers
You don't need to delete anything just add folder.jpg or movie.tbn then go to movie information and reload, sometimes you have to exit movies and go back for it to show up

If you don't reload then it doesn't see the changes
the library is grayed out unless you add a movie to it (right click or press c - set content) The home images can be changed depending on the skin you use, usually in settings / skin settings / somewhere. the thumbnails can be deleted by deleting the respective folder (audio ,video, etc)within the thumbnails folder, in the userdata folder, depending on your installation either in application data/xbmc/ or in the xbmc folder if you run it in portable mode.
thanks guys for the replies but still no further forwards!!

I have a few albums (mp3) with cover art in that I have changed that hasnt refreshed to the new one or the covert art doesnt get found at all.

I have also some folder images in my films that havent been refreshed to the new ones.

Can any one give me a step by step idiots guide to removing all thumbs nails from xbmc and having re scan for the correct ones as contaiend within ech folder. When I say idiot guide I mean it as I just about have this sorted after years of greif with media portal so am being extra careful!!!

I have found option to change home screen art (ta silver) but when i browse to the folder that contains the images i wanna use (jpegs) it doesnt even see them. what format should these images be in to be visible??

As for use of the library- why bother what does it offer that my current set up doesnt, any pros n cons guys? I tried it for my music but I couldnt find an option to display files by folder name just genere which is no use to me

Thanks for all your help guys

Cheers

Marcus
Sad 
last cry for help !!

Anyone know how to do this and can offer an idiot guide as it's driving me spare.

Really dont wanna remove and re install but seems the only option.

Cheers
In the online manual:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Thumbnails

Info about thumbnails and cache is there.

In:
../userdata/Thumbnails/Music
All cached content of your music thumbnails resides.
If you delete everything under the music folder and then rescan
everything should get correct.

If not paste a debug logfile when you try to scan into library if still problems.
Se my signature on how to post a problem...
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Hi Thanks for teh reply.

Had read the wiki numerous times but still not clear.

From my searches I see folk saying to delete this using the file mnager in xbmc or should i do this via windows??

In my videos I have sub folders say A b C D and each containing both jpegs for the folder art for each and further folders with individual films and thums arts in. What ever I delete the folder art for the A B C D folders remains as original despite these being changed via windows!!!

I would assume that these are stored in the same location as the home screen background files which again I dont seem to be able to locate

Finally how do i generate log files !!!!!!!
Many thanks
ok and update...

tried all things suggested above all to no avail.

un installed xbmc and downloaded and re installed, scanned al folders yet I still have some rogue (missing) covert art for the thumbs. I have just sat and re tagged all the id3 with the correct cover art for all athese albums yet still the sodding thumb is not displayed.

I have tried it naming the image file as folder.jpg and folder.tbn but no difference, yet windows explorer (vista) shows them up just fine.

After the re scan the images for folders A B C etc as earlier post have been re scanned yet some dont appear!!
Post a complete Debug Log on a site like pastebin while doing a scan and link to it from here.
Then i can be able to help you further
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
will do and thanks for help

how do i generate error logs tho Huh
Se my signature: how to post about a problem in a useful manner
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
Thumbs Up 
thanks a million was just lookin at the tips link in ur sig but didnt see anything so was doin a search for the words error+log!!!! you can imagine what was returned !

will post you full info later this eveining again thanks for your help with this

Cheers

Marcus D
log file link http://pastebin.com/m14f44e7f

versions xbmc 9.04.1 repack 2
9.04.1 20672 (june 2nd 09)
Skin PM3 HD
OS win vista 32 sp 1

hope this is what is needed??

i can see the my music errors but not the missing folder art for my films & videos

Cheers

Marcus
Seems to be corruption somewhere.

What you can do:
1. Manually delete /userdata/Database/MyMusic*.db
Warning this will delete all scanned content for music !

2. Then manually delete userdata/Thumbnails/Music/*.*

3.Update xbmc to a more recent version - you are on svn 20672 which is almost 2 months old.

Then rescan your music with debug enabled and post new logfile is still errors.
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
will give it a bash thanks for your help

when you say will loose all scanned muisc data, what will this effect??
my set up is :
my music(folder) -- album x (folder) -- tracks 1to 20 + folder.jpeg

all tracks have had id tags edited with album, track, genere, coverart etc

when i was using medial portal I also had issus with these albums. today I re tagged the id3's for all yet it still happens.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbs cache issues0