[xBox] Hard drive upgrade without xBoxHDM
Information 
Is there a way to upgrade the xBox Hard Drive without xBox HDM? I have configmagic, so I can Lock/Unlock, and some programs so that I can explore the FATX file system (once I get a USB IDE Adapter), but how should I go about formatting the drive to FATX?

Thanks for all your help!

By the way, I have a soft modded xBox with the latest version of the xBox Media Center and ConfigMagic.

- 2 Bunny
Why can't you use XBoxHDM? Is it because your PC lacks a disc drive, or because you can't connect the new HDD to it?

Anyway, this guide should sort you out.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Big Grin 
Bomb Bloke Wrote:Why can't you use XBoxHDM? Is it because your PC lacks a disc drive, or because you can't connect the new HDD to it?

Oh, nifty! Is there any way using this process that I can clone my existing hard drive and put everything that was on it onto the upgraded one like in HDM?

Anyway, I probably should've clarified why I want to avoid xBoxHDM on the computer. The answer is that I have an EXTREMELY small, cluttered computer. It was nearly impossible to upgrade a hard drive the first time. There is SOOOOOOOOO much stuff in it, because back in 2004-5 or so when it came out, it was so amazing to have Windows Media Center controll buttons on the front (which is not actually much of anything), just saying that the bundle of power cables and IDE cables makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get around inside of it. It takes me 15 minutes just to do a ram upgrade, and 20 minutes if you're careful not to scratch your arm on the inside edges of the case. To answer your question, I do have a DVD drive, and I understand that HDM can be launched from a USB Drive, but I really wanted to avoid this, because I thought maybe there was some other way. My computer is the only one I've ever been in with such limited mobility. I only have one set of power and IDE cables left anyway, and the funny thing is that they are out of slack at opposite ends of the case. The IDE Cable doesn't reach to where it would need to for where the power cable is, because they have no more slack. I tried cutting the plastic cable tie around the huge bundle of power cables, but it only started cutting away at the cables themselves because it was tied on SO TIGHT in the factory.
Anyway, one last question, is xBox HDM workable with a USB to IDE adapter for my hard drive? If not thats all right, I'll just do the process described in that thread you linked to for me. That is the "holy grail" thread I have been looking for, for quite some time now.

Thanks a bunch!

- 2 Bunny
I used an xbox program called Chimp to clone to a bigger hard drive (I think the version is 2.4 or 2.6). You have to hotswap the cable from the CD drive to the new hard drive. Then run Chimp to do the clone from the primary drive to the slave drive. Chimp can also can lock and unlock the slave drive. Chimp works best with older versions of the xbox. On the XBoxes with the newer video chip you have to telnet into the xbox on a specific ip address because the video is messed up.
teresa Wrote:I used an xbox program called Chimp to clone to a bigger hard drive (I think the version is 2.4 or 2.6). You have to hotswap the cable from the CD drive to the new hard drive. Then run Chimp to do the clone from the primary drive to the slave drive. Chimp can also can lock and unlock the slave drive. Chimp works best with older versions of the xbox. On the XBoxes with the newer video chip you have to telnet into the xbox on a specific ip address because the video is messed up.

Does that work with USB IDE Adapters?

- 2 Bunny
Highly doubtful - I believe disk locking requires an IDE connection. IMHO, the most difficult part of modding an Xbox these days is finding an old enough computer too do the disk swap. Newer BIOS seem to have a bit of trouble finding the disk (hint - disable SATA and anything that sounds even mildly modern). I used to keep a Pentium 2 downstairs for this exact task.
Information 
Bomb Bloke Wrote:Why can't you use XBoxHDM? Is it because your PC lacks a disc drive, or because you can't connect the new HDD to it?

Oh, another question: What if you don't have an external power supply?

jimbosis Wrote:Highly doubtful - I believe disk locking requires an IDE connection. IMHO, the most difficult part of modding an Xbox these days is finding an old enough computer too do the disk swap. Newer BIOS seem to have a bit of trouble finding the disk (hint - disable SATA and anything that sounds even mildly modern). I used to keep a Pentium 2 downstairs for this exact task.

I know. I keep kicking myself for getting rid of some old white clunky computer I had (circa 1997-98) and an old flat junky computer I used to have (circa 1995-97) for a month or two. I just decided to scrap them out and recycle the metal casing and stuff.

- 2 Bunny
Sad 
Okay, here is just an update to the process. I have tried both lxhdm and "chimps", but neither have seen any success.

On lxhdm, I am unable to get a working copy of the "frosty recovery disc". I downloaded one from rapidshare, and one from the "*****" programs directory, and each one downloads all right, but the iso file within is corrupted and cannot be extracted with either uniextract or win rar. So, thats where I'm stuck there.

On "chimps", I can send the file over all right, but I don't see the "menu" where you're supposed to choose the options from. Just two or three lines of text at the top about the author and the version of the software. Why isn't it working for me?

To be honest, I would prefer to use chimps, because it will just "clone" my existing hard drive, but either will work so long as I can get a working copy of this "Frosty Recovery Disc" or "chimps"

Good luck with that one, everyone!

- 2 Bunny
Lightbulb 
Well! That was quite a "ride". While both processes didn't work at first, I had to do some "hacking". The necessary components for LxHDM from the "Usual Places" were corrupted, so I used the regular xDSL Linux loader for Chimps and POOF, it worked.

I actually posted a video of it on YouTube. I was just so amazed at how easy this was, and I am sure this will be a HUGE help to other people with the same problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rEpHdnWoGc

Have fun!

- 2 Bunny

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[xBox] Hard drive upgrade without xBoxHDM0