Using an xbox remote with MCE usb IR receiver
I'm trying to get my original xbox's remote to work with XBMC Live that I've just installed. I've borrowed a friend's MCE USB IR receiver but I'm having no joy (using the MCE remote works with no problems).

Most of the guides I've read seem to get the xbox remote working with the xbox IR dongle which has been modified to work on a standard USB connection. Is it even possible to use the xbox remote with an MCE IR receiver?

I've tried copying suggested lines into /etc/lirc/lircd.conf to no avail. Running irw doesn't show any of the keys I'm pressing even though the light on the IR receiver flashes. Can anyone give me any pointers on what to do?

Many thanks!
Quote:Is it even possible to use the xbox remote with an MCE IR receiver?

Yes, it is possible. Warning: complete Linux newbee here Smile

Six months ago I was trying to do the same as you. I remember I used irrecord to generate a new lircd.conf, because I was not able to find a ready-made configuration online. I roughly followed the guide here (only the "Recording your Remote" section):

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Serial_Lirc_Install

Since during the learning process you have to supply the name of the keys of your remote, I just gave the same names used for the keys in lircmap.xml for the MCE remote, so that later on I just had to change the name of the remote in lircmap.xml to make it work.

Unfortunately I am now using a native MCE remote, so I have lost the lircd.conf I generated back then.
visiondiez Wrote:Yes, it is possible. Warning: complete Linux newbee here Smile

Six months ago I was trying to do the same as you. I remember I used irrecord to generate a new lircd.conf, because I was not able to find a ready-made configuration online. I roughly followed the guide here (only the "Recording your Remote" section):

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Serial_Lirc_Install

Since during the learning process you have to supply the name of the keys of your remote, I just gave the same names used for the keys in lircmap.xml for the MCE remote, so that later on I just had to change the name of the remote in lircmap.xml to make it work.

Unfortunately I am now using a native MCE remote, so I have lost the lircd.conf I generated back then.

Thanks for your help @visiondiez. After trying the irrecord method and not really getting anywhere, I then found a ready-made file at http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/microsoft/ (which was linked from the link you posted). This did the trick and I'm now able to use the Xbox remote. For anyone looking to do the same thing, you need the file called Xbox and not lircd.conf.xbox.

However, for some reason, I have to sometimes press a key 10 times for it to register in XBMC (despite the light on the IR receiver flashing every time I press the button). I've had a look in the log file and it looks as if the key press is definitely only registering once despite me hitting it multiple times. I suspect it's the IR receiver although it works perfectly with the MCE remote. I think I'm going to have to purchase an MCE remote unless anyone knows how to get around this problem.

Thanks again!
I've now configured my setup to work with an Xbox 360 remote. Again, it's not very responsive but it's nowhere near as bad as with the original Xbox remote. This time, it might take two or three presses to get it to register and at other times, it works first time.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Might it be the IR receiver (even though it works fine with the remote that it came with)? I don't know if my log file will be of any use but here's a link to it:
http://www.pastebin.org/4076

I'm running Live that's been updated to the July 14 build on an Asrock 330. The remote receiver is the one from here:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=218643
It really is the most hideous remote so I'm really keen to be able to use a different one!
To answer my own question:
I took some of the values from the MCEUSB conf file e.g. header, one, zero and replaced the ones in the Xbox 360 conf file that I downloaded from the LIRC site and this has sorted it. The buttons now work 99.99% of the time first time which is great! I think the values worked as both the MCE and the XBOX 360 remotes are RC6 remotes. Or something like that anyway. Here's the full config file:

Code:
begin remote

name  Microsoft_Xbox360
  bits           16
  flags RC6|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

header       2667   889
  one           444   444
  zero          444   444
  pre_data_bits        21
  pre_data        0x37FF0
  gap              105000
  toggle_bit           22
  rc6_mask    0x100000000

begin codes
          OpenClose                0x8BD7
          XboxFancyButton          0x0B9B
          OnOff                    0x8BF3
          Stop                     0x0BE6
          Pause                    0x8BE7
          Rewind                   0x0BEA
          FastForward              0x8BEB
          Prev                     0x0BE4
          Next                     0x8BE5
          Play                     0x0BE9
          Display                  0x8BB0
          Title                    0x0BAE
          DVD_Menu                 0x8BDB
          Back                     0x0BDC
          Info                     0x8BF0
          UpArrow                  0x0BE1
          LeftArrow                0x8BDF
          RightArrow               0x0BDE
          DownArrow                0x8BE0
          OK                       0x0BDD
          Y                        0x8BD9
          X                        0x0B97
          A                        0x8B99
          B                        0x0BDA
          ChUp                     0x8BED
          ChDown                   0x0BEC

Start                    0x0BF2
          Play                     0x8BE9
          Enter                    0x0BF4
          Record                   0x8BE8
          Clear                    0x0BF5
          1                        0x8BFE
          2                        0x0BFD
          3                        0x8BFC
          4                        0x0BFB
          5                        0x8BFA
          6                        0x0BF9
          7                        0x8BF8
          8                        0x0BF7
          9                        0x8BF6
          100                      0x0BE2
          0                        0x8BFF
          Reload                   0x8BE3
      end codes

end remote
This appears to be the ultimate answer to my problem. I have an IR receiver, a terrible remote, the Asrock 330 and an xbox remote (which was always great).

How do I get the file onto the computer into XBMC to use the Xbox remote? I'm running an installed Live XBMC.

Also, I've never touched Linux.
AbsentProfessor Wrote:This appears to be the ultimate answer to my problem. I have an IR receiver, a terrible remote, the Asrock 330 and an xbox remote (which was always great).

How do I get the file onto the computer into XBMC to use the Xbox remote? I'm running an installed Live XBMC.

Also, I've never touched Linux.

Don't worry, I hadn't touched Linux either but through sheer perseverance, I finally got somewhere!

To get the file onto the computer, you can either use a program like Filezilla (connect to port 22 and select SFTP for the protocol) or you can edit the file directly.

Unfortunately though, I could only get the Xbox 360 remote to work successfully but not the old Xbox remote...
for those of you who have:

XBMC Live
MCE Dongle
Xbox Remote (or other remote pretending to be an xbox remote/RCA dvd player remote

Step 1) SSH into XBMCLive
open putty, connect to the IP address of your XBMC Live

Setp 2) Change Directory to Lirc
cd /etc/lirc

Step 3) Get the xbox config file
sudo wget http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/microsoft/Xbox

Step 4) Rename the file you just downloaded to lircd.conf
sudo cp Xbox /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

Step 5) reboot
sudo reboot

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using an xbox remote with MCE usb IR receiver0