• 1(current)
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV?
Lightbulb 
"davilla 1 day ago
Hehe, if things go right with certain 3rd party devs, in a month or so, the AppleTV will be able to play VC1 1080p Blu-ray content with 100 percent hardware decode. Stay tuned."

Will it allow even lowly 720p mkvs to work (with highish bitrate)?
Cheers,
Deano72

DaveGee Wrote:Yes, if you can somehow someway get the mini-pcie card (mentioned and linked to about a million times in this thread) to plug into a PC running Windows or Linux or maybe even OSX I'd venture to say then yes a future version of XBMC that supports the card will work. If you are asking about a specific way to GET the mini-pcie card to install in a desktop system... I'm not the person to ask.. sorry but I don't want to give you misleading information.

- Yes it will work in Windows
- Yes it will work in OSX
- Yes it will work in AppleTV
- Yes it will work in Linux
- Yes it will require drivers
- No the drivers are not publicly available anyway*
- No the special version of XBMC is not available**

- Please (everyone) stop asking if drivers are available or when something is going to be released it servers zero purpose other then possibly pissing off the people working on the project. Have NO fear when its done you will hear about it! Big Grin

The product you need to buy is: EBAY SEARCH LINK

The products name is: Broadcom BCM70012 Mini PCI-e HD Decoder Chipset

* If they were I'd be playing right now instead of posting. Wink

** Yes I know you can download the CVS and compile the fork with the code but since there's no driver the exercise was a wasted effort or a learning experience. No matter how you look at it downloading and compiling will get you no closer to the result you are looking for.

Okay I think that covers most of the bases...
Awww I just set up my macmini with linux.
Is this going to work with all Apple hardware or just with the ATV?

And where did you read this?
this was at appletvhacks
the day this is a reality for xbmc and appletv, I will be the first in line to buy apple tv
I know nothing Smile
well, i hope nothing turns into something, cuz i have been itching for a appletv for a while, but would love to have 720p mkv capability...
I only see VC-1 mentioned, this encoding was used in early HD-DVD and Blu-rays - all the newer releases seem to use h.264 now.
Davilla any news on this? Lol
hopefully you have an NDA with apple about some rumoured announcement of apple tv take 3 next week? Would be good if you (it) does.
Sorry wrong forum I think. Mods please move if needed
live4ever Wrote:I only see VC-1 mentioned, this encoding was used in early HD-DVD and Blu-rays - all the newer releases seem to use h.264 now.
Not necessarily so. The split still sees many VC-1 titles (Watchmen, for example, being one of the most prominent recent releases).
davilla stuffs a sock in his mouth Smile mpeg2/h.264/vc1 capable squeaks out.
Lol. When when I plead thee? Take sock out a little more lol
davilla Wrote:davilla stuffs a sock in his mouth Smile mpeg2/h.264/vc1 capable squeaks out.

Very interesting indeed. If only you could take that sock completely out and let lose on some specifics... Wink
The stuff this community puts out is amazing. If this happens I'll have to go buy a couple more Apple Tv's.
only native or also via XBMC? (good news either way it comes)

Davilla?? squeak squeak...?Big GrinBig Grin
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV?9