[REQUEST] Add better usability to the new SliderDialog
I love the new slider dialog in video osd settings. One thing that bothers me though is that you have to enter it by hitting SELECT. This doesn't seem like good practice to me.

It would be more user friendly if you could bring up the slider menu by hitting left and right aswell. Is this a simple skin setting or does it have to be patched?
I think this can easily be done with a skin and/or keymap setting
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Any suggestions on how to do it? Smile
Sorry no Smile I'm a total noob when it comes to GUI stuff. Moving this to skin help though, fits better there i think.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
That's a pretty good idea, though I see a couple of potential problems. For instance, there's nothing (technically) stopping skins adding other controls to that dialog if they want. There's also nothing stopping them putting the controls across the screen rather than up and down, though this is kinda spurious as it wouldn't work too well!

I don't think it's doable purely from the skin or keymap - it would require the code to handle it. I'll review the code and see whether it's easy or not.

Cheers,
Jonathan

An addition to that, if it isn't already possible:
Make it go back to the main settings screen after x seconds of inactivity.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
jmarshall Wrote:That's a pretty good idea, though I see a couple of potential problems. For instance, there's nothing (technically) stopping skins adding other controls to that dialog if they want. There's also nothing stopping them putting the controls across the screen rather than up and down, though this is kinda spurious as it wouldn't work too well!

I don't think it's doable purely from the skin or keymap - it would require the code to handle it. I'll review the code and see whether it's easy or not.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks Smile
Maybe it should have it's own control? I mean like the slider control, radiobutton control. To the look of it it's just activated via a button control. If you give it its own control that only responds to right/left to activate (and maybe select aswell) then it would mess upp skins.
Ok, this is possible to do - not particularly pretty code, but I can get it to work. Basically I just set the <onleft> and <onright> tags programatically as the button control is created instead of a slider (old skins still use a slider you'll notice).

On playing around with it, it appears it's only good if you combine this with up/down to exit from the slider dialog. This can either be done from the code or from keymap.xml - not sure which one would be better.

Will chat with some other guys about it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Maybe it should still use the slider control? Wouldn't that also be more user friendly? look wise.

That way you would only have to set an option in the skin as to when a slider control should slide inside the video OSD (like it did before) or if it should open a slidedialog (the new separate one)?

<control type="sliderex">

and then <sliderdialog>true</sliderdialog>

or something like that?

Would probably me more cleaner to program aswell. No messing around with the button control.
That's a possibility to consider - will see whether it's doable or not.

In the meantime: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6939

Cheers,
Jonathan

More updates in the ticket.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Nice Smile Really awesome that you started fixing with it right away.

Looking forward to see the patch in SVN!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Add better usability to the new SliderDialog0