• 3(current)
[LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux
althekiller Wrote:Oh dear...where to start. I'm sure your intentions were pure and all, but I simply can't condone the use of a tool such as this. The concept is sound, assuming everything goes as planned, but what if an error occurs? There's no useful output, no error checking at all, it's all extremely naive. How are we supposed to offer support to users who have no idea what they've done? Linux isn't Windows, the type of person who will find this script useful doesn't know that. How can they help us help them? If they had installed manually, not only would they know at what stage an error occurred, but they would have learned from all of the steps leading up to it. Users who aren't willing to learn a little bit to get what they want, aren't ready for Linux either.

So if you're ready to handle every support questions from every user who installs with this script, regardless of whether it applies directly to the script or not, great, we'll move the posts here. Otherwise, I'm going to have to discourage all users from installing with this method.

I'm sorry I have to be so discouraging on the matter. Hopefully you can find some other way to contribute you skills to the community.

Allthekiller, I respectfully think you have not thought this thoroughly. What cyberpark is giving us here is pure open source!!! how can you condemn that? he gives the .sh file (both listed here and as a link) that is the source at the same time as the executable, and explains how it works and why it does what it does (and most if not all is taken from this forum). In the forum itself usually people recommends adding random binary repositories and keys and blindly upgrading from them! that is I think the right thing to do, but at the same time IMHO is much more questionable than giving people a fully commented .sh script to run!

Regarding errors and support, there are logs and console output, and people can ask here, and of course everything people do freely (free as in beer and as in speech) is their own responsibility. We will try simply to help them.
Hey, I have a tip for everybody who wants to use this mini-Ubuntu but has some problems to configure there system:

WEBMIN, its a Webgui where u can configure ur System.
I started to use it, for the setup of my Samba-Server, but now I am using it for my system as well. Although it has a FileManager or a SSH-Client.
So u don´t need commandline for coping files. And u can upload easy files to ur System from ur computer.

If you like to install and update Webmin via APT, edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file on your system:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
add the line
Code:
deb http://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib
Save and exit the file

You should also fetch and install my GPG key with which the repository is signed.
Code:
wget http://www.webmin.com/jcameron-key.asc
    sudo apt-key add jcameron-key.asc
You will now be able to install with the commands
Code:
sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install webmin
All dependencies should be resolved automatically.

You then start it with: https://your-htpc-ip:10000/
Works fine over remote (outside my home-network) as well.
cyberpark Wrote:Updated post. (so I could write some more beneath)

• Enabled 1080p @ 24Hz (24.07.2009)

Hello!
Sorry that my first post is a question but I'm was a read-only user for a long time but now I can't get further.

Can anybody give me a solution to activate the 24hz (1080p24) option?

My "Asrock Ion330" is connected via HDMI to a "Philips 37PFL7603D" which should support all desired resolutions and frequencies (a bluray on a ps3 runs brilliant smoothly).

Currently I'm using the xorg.conf from this thread (incl. the installer script) but all other tries give me the same result (also a hand installation of debian 5.0 lenny):
XBMC is always running with 25fps. As I change the resolution by hand to 1920x1080@24Hz the screen refreshes and I have to recalibrate the XBMC GUI.
But all 24hz material stutters every second as well as @25hz/30hz/50hz/60hz.

To find a solution i've tried to resample the ac3/dts audiostreams to stereo to get it "in sync" with the video refresh rate.

The Result was really confusing:
Every Video was pitched up/down to 25hz. It rans smoothly but to fast/slow (1080p24 material to fast and normal ntsc material with 29,97hz to slow).

This is independent from the chosen resolution/refresh rate. I can choose 800x600@30hz as example and the video runs with 25hz.

Also my normal 24" samsung pc-tft (connected with a hdmi>dvi adapter) shows the same situation.

Does anybody please give me a hint wat to try at next?

Thank you very much before! Rolleyes
Created own thread form my problem.
thanks for your suggestion
script install
Hi, Firstly many many thanks for the awesome script I love it as im a complete Linux noob and its helped me out loads.

However, being a noob I would like a desktop environment to be able to drop back into to copy and move files around and do other basic tasks which is much easier for me than CLI commands...
[url=http://globolstaff.com/]data entry[/ur]
Just want to confirm that this script works on my revo Smile
(I did install Ubuntu desktop first, then this wonderfull script.
Thanks.
Quote:However, being a noob I would like a desktop environment to be able to drop back into to copy and move files around and do other basic tasks which is much easier for me than CLI commands...

I agree. It is pretty much the same procedure. Start with a full ubuntu installtion instead of the minimal then you do most of the step in this guide. Dont install the Live helper scripts.
Look at the official guides or my installation logg.
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54705

The alternative is to add a gnome desktop to the minimal installation. I leaning more and more towards doing that my self. Let me know if you want to have the commands to do this.
Quote:The alternative is to add a gnome desktop to the minimal installation. I leaning more and more towards doing that my self. Let me know if you want to have the commands to do this.

i´m very interested in this.
Quote:i´m very interested in this

You can start by reading this http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p...stcount=13
EDIT: I wrote this for a Live installation. If you install with the minimal you do not need to edit the sources.list, just start at:
sudo apt-get install gnome-core nautilus-share

My private notes on creating a minimal gnome desktop.
http://vikjonlinuxhowto.blogspot.com/200...sktop.html
In case you want to add more standard ubuntu functionality I list a number of modules to install.

NB: Do not install GDM if you want to keep the "Live" autostart.

Reference:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155961

Maybe I will write a howto later. Please let me know how it goes if you test this!
I tried it and it worked great... on second try!

The first one ruined my installation and had to reinstall from the DVD. The culprit were the nvidia repositories and the 185 driver. It happened exactly the same a few days ago when I did it manually, so I think the drivers have some kind of bug. Also, they ruin your pkg database (trying to go back to original ubuntu's 180 driver forces deinstallation of a lot of packages, so the dependencies got messed up when installing the 185).

After reinstalling ubuntu and the original 180 driver, running again the script but this time commenting out the repositories and the installation of driver 185 and everything works OK.

Since the 180 driver is good enough for most people (what does 185 really give?), I suggest commenting the repositories and omiting the installation; the user can activate them and upgrade manually later if (s)he wishes.
Quote:they ruin your pkg database (trying to go back to original ubuntu's 180 driver forces
I do not think so. Since you had any original drivers to revert to I am guessing you did not follow the guide and started with Ubunutu minimal.
You need to remove any other NVIDIA drivers before you install it this way. If you want 180 just replace "185" with "180" in the script.

Quote:(what does 185 really give?),
It is true that 185 does not seem to give anything (on ION 330) for the moment. It seem to be recommended for xbmc though so if you run into any problem you will probably be told to try to upgrade.

At least when Ubuntu 9.04 was released it did not seem to have any drivers for asrock ION 330 so you HAD to install them. Or if the problem was that 180 did not support it at that time.
vikjon0 Wrote:I do not think so. Since you had any original drivers to revert to I am guessing you did not follow the guide and started with Ubunutu minimal.
You need to remove any other NVIDIA drivers before you install it this way. If you want 180 just replace "185" with "180" in the script.

Yes, you are right; it was from a default Ubuntu installation and then I did a little customization. Also it was NOT an ION platform, but an Athlon X2 (don't remember the MB brand) with a PCIe recent (and economic) Nvidia card that is VDPAU capable.

The fact that the script worked OK once the nvidia PPAs were excluded says something about the script! great work!

vikjon0 Wrote:It is true that 185 does not seem to give anything (on ION 330) for the moment. It seem to be recommended for xbmc though so if you run into any problem you will probably be told to try to upgrade.

At least when Ubuntu 9.04 was released it did not seem to have any drivers for asrock ION 330 so you HAD to install them. Or if the problem was that 180 did not support it at that time.

I have another installation (a POV ION330). In that one, before knowing about this script, I did more or less the same the script does, only manually. With the ubuntu-stock 180 drivers, it worked perfect. When I added the nvidia PPAs and upgraded to 190 driver (tried also 185 driver, EXACTLY the same), it happened just the same yesterday happened to me with the script:
- no X
- executing nvidia-xconfig gives you X, but at 640x480. Most programs do not work well since the buttons to "accept" settings do not fit in 640x480 and so cannot be pushed
- with a little fiddling you can execute the nvidia graphics configuration panel, but the only resolutions offered are 640x480 or 320x240
- synaptic does not allow to go back to the 180 driver easily. If you try, when uninstalling 190 driver, also uninstalls hundreds of other packages because of dependencies, but that packages were installed before, so that dependencies are bogus
- even after that, you cannot select any resolution bigger than 640x480 and also xbmc does not work, it claims there is no OpenGL capable driver although v180 is installed and XBMC worked before with it

At that point, just like yesterday, I simply reinstalled the O.S. and started from scratch, this time avoiding the nvidia PPAs.

The 180 driver is installed with only the repositories ubuntu installs by default (activating the third party ones) and selecting "hardware drivers" from "Administration" menu to activate the nvidia drivers.

My impression is that the nvidia PPAs have some kind of incompatibility with the default, stock-ubuntu installed repositories. Since that are, more or less, "official", they work very well with VDPAU and most (all?) current cards, including ION, and (just as was my case) some users may have installed them before, I suggest using the 180 driver from ubuntu's repositories and incorporate the Nvidia PPA repositories commented-out (just as the XBMC-SVN are). Then in the script, some instructions could advise the user to uninstall the 180 driver before trying the Nvidia PPA versions.

With that in mind, I think that this script is much more general than ION motherboards; it can be used with ANY board with a VDPAU-capable card and ANY working ubuntu jaunty installation.
Thank you very much for this script!! I've been fiddling with XBMC and Ubuntu all weekend, and the only way I got it to work properly is by using your script.

When I try a manual install, I always have trouble installing the nVidia drivers, and getting to boot into XBMC automatically. Your script does it way better then I can ;-)

Being a total linux noob, I'm slowly getting to understand what your script does. Only issue I have left now is: how to update once I've installed Ubuntu and XBMC via your script?

I know I can get the terminal by pressing CTRL+ALT+F2
If I then look at the sources list: sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list I cannot see any of the SVN repos, which I want to enable...should I add these manually?
LeechNL Wrote:Thank you very much for this script!! I've been fiddling with XBMC and Ubuntu all weekend, and the only way I got it to work properly is by using your script.

When I try a manual install, I always have trouble installing the nVidia drivers, and getting to boot into XBMC automatically. Your script does it way better then I can ;-)

Being a total linux noob, I'm slowly getting to understand what your script does. Only issue I have left now is: how to update once I've installed Ubuntu and XBMC via your script?

I know I can get the terminal by pressing CTRL+ALT+F2
If I then look at the sources list: sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list I cannot see any of the SVN repos, which I want to enable...should I add these manually?

Look this section of the script:
Code:
echo '#'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
echo '#'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list

The script installs them not in sources.list, but in sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list so that is the file you should edit:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list

Also, you can start a gnome session (you must stop the xbmc one first... don't know how, maybe simply killing the X session). You can then start a standard gnome with

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

and then simply do it graphically in synaptic.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux4