XBMC Media Server?
I'm considering loading XBMC on my AppleTV but have a few questions before I do. Right now I use AppleTV to play music through my home theater but I hate that I have to have Itunes up and running on a computer for this to work. I have all of my music stored on a network attached storage device - will XBMC pull the music from that device and play it without it running through a separate computer/software program (i.e., Itunes)?
Yes. You simply point XBMC at the NAS and can play files immediately and scan them into XBMC's Library for a prettier interface. The files themselves remain on the NAS and are played over your network.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Yes. You simply point XBMC at the NAS and can play files immediately and scan them into XBMC's Library for a prettier interface. The files themselves remain on the NAS and are played over your network.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this solution only works if his itunes songs are not DRM protected?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but this solution only works if his itunes songs are not DRM protected?

Correct.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Yes, and it will not allow you to play your collection through your speakers all over the house, like ITunes, and Airport Extremes do.

THAT feature and my iPhone app that lets me control this is GREAT!

I have made my Apple Mini a media center.

It runs itunes for my iphone app, and frontRow for rented itunes movies, PyTivo to send my 10TB nas (Thecus N7700) tv collection to my Tivos and XBMC .

So, all of it is integrated into the MacMini

I can remote desktop to it, and it's tv screen is my HDMI Mits 70" TV.

I never got it to fill the entire screen, but mostly
I use and external drive connected to my ATV for my movies and then have itunes sync with apple tv for music. I use my iphone to control both apps.

Have fun...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Media Server?0