[MAC] EDL (Edit Decision List) and SceneMarker support in XBMC for Mac?
Question 
I'm somewhat of a noobie when it comes to XBMC. I just came across is last week, and thoroughly LOVE what I see so far, as I'm trying desperately to setup a home media network where all of my movies are on my NAS and streamed to each location.

I've searched through all the of the forums using keywords that I can think of like 'Chapter', 'Scene', 'EDL', 'Markers' in trying to figure out how to get this working.

I'm trying to get an EDL working so I can do chapter skipping, but nothing I do seems to work. The EDL works fine for commercial skipping (action 0), but does not work for chapter skipping (action 2). Has anyone been able to use the EDL file for the Apple Mac? If so, can someone provide an example or a working EDL file that I may be able to use?

Hardware:
Apple MacBook Pro 17"
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB Ram

Operating System:
OS X 10.5.7 (Leopard)

XBMC Information:
XBMC For Mac 9.04.1
Transparency! Skin

Movie:
Bridge To Terabithia.m4v
Format (from Quicktime) - JVT/AVC Coding, 720x480 (642x480 actual), AAC, Stero (R/L), 48.000 kHz
The movie was converted from the DVD using Handbrake 0.9.3 with the AppleTV preset. The only change to the preset is the exclusion of chapters markers (I read somewhere the chapter markers may impact XBMC).

I've tried 2 different version of my EDL, as outlined below. When I try to use the >| or |< buttons for chapter skipping, XBMC stops the movie and brings me back to the movie list.

Also, the times are the actual times on the DVD for the chapter markers. Neither version has worked. Sad

Version 1:
1 00:05:55 2
2 00:08:16 2
3 00:12:52 2
4 00:20:05 2
5 00:27:20 2
6 00:38:47 2
7 00:48:25 2
8 00:54:53 2
9 00:56:23 2
10 00:56:31 2
11 01:04:41 2
12 01:08:45 2
13 01:12:02 2
14 01:22:43 2
15 01:29:22 2

Version 2:
1 355 2
2 496 2
3 772 2
4 1205 2
5 1640 2
6 2327 2
7 2905 2
8 3293 2
9 3383 2
10 3391 2
11 3881 2
12 4125 2
13 4322 2
14 4963 2
15 5362 2

I'd post a snippet of the log, but for the life of me I can't figure out where it's stored. I've checked ~/.xbmc and ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC to no avail.

Hopefully I've posted all of the required information needed. If not, please let me know what I'm missing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Michael
Ok, so apparently I was reading the how to post under the Linux section, and that's why I couldn't find my log files. Now I see there's a how to post under the Mac and Apple TV section. Ive uploaded the log files (see below for URL's), and believe I've provided any other information that's needed.

MediInfo: http://pastebin.com/mf569574
XBCM.log: http://pastebin.com/m33059bb8

Oh yeah, and the logs should only be on the pastbin.com site for a month.

Additionally, the EDL scripts above, the 1st one is the HH:MM:SS format for the chapter start within the movie; the second is the number of seconds within the movie for the chapter start.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Question 
While I'm waiting, I'm doing even more reading and research on this problem. Can someone clarify the following for me, please?

1. On an Apple computer (aTV or otherwise), is the default player DVDPlayer and NOT MPlayer.
2. Is the EDL support available in the DVDPlayer code?
3. Is there a way to change which player is used?
4. Looking at the EDL.cpp code, I see log messages being output. Where do those messages go? I'm looking at the xbmc.log file, and there's nothing in that file prefixed with "CEdl"...
5. I figured out how to display the EDL information for the currently playing movie (still using Bridge To Terabithia for testing), and the information shows 'edl:n' meaning no edl was loaded. What would cause the EDL to not be loaded (and nothing displayed in the log, if I'm looking at the correct log)?

I've been working on this for about 3 days now, completely unsuccessfully. I've figured out everything else, including subtitle srt files (which is a HUGE benefit as my dad is extremely hard of hearing). This is the final piece that I need to figure out in order to make this a usable solution. Somebody, please please please help.
mdailous Wrote:While I'm waiting, I'm doing even more reading and research on this problem. Can someone clarify the following for me, please?

1. On an Apple computer (aTV or otherwise), is the default player DVDPlayer and NOT MPlayer.
2. Is the EDL support available in the DVDPlayer code?
3. Is there a way to change which player is used?
4. Looking at the EDL.cpp code, I see log messages being output. Where do those messages go? I'm looking at the xbmc.log file, and there's nothing in that file prefixed with "CEdl"...
5. I figured out how to display the EDL information for the currently playing movie (still using Bridge To Terabithia for testing), and the information shows 'edl:n' meaning no edl was loaded. What would cause the EDL to not be loaded (and nothing displayed in the log, if I'm looking at the correct log)?

I've been working on this for about 3 days now, completely unsuccessfully. I've figured out everything else, including subtitle srt files (which is a HUGE benefit as my dad is extremely hard of hearing). This is the final piece that I need to figure out in order to make this a usable solution. Somebody, please please please help.

Hi,

I don't have the answer to all your questions but I will give you the ones I do have.
Quote:1. On an Apple computer (aTV or otherwise), is the default player DVDPlayer and NOT MPlayer.

yes

Quote:3. Is there a way to change which player is used?
yes, with apple remote, scroll to the movie, hold menu button for a few seconds, aditional menu will pop up, select "Play using..." and select your player.

You can also setup an external player, it will show up under "Play using..."
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54875

Sorry I couldn't help more
Zeljko
Uhm, you've enabled it in Settings->Video->Player ?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Amet Wrote:yes, with apple remote, scroll to the movie, hold menu button for a few seconds, aditional menu will pop up, select "Play using..." and select your player.

You can also setup an external player, it will show up under "Play using..."
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54875

Thanks for the info. I read that the DVDPlayer is an in-house media player and may or may not support EDL lists. I was kind of hoping on of the developers would read this and indicate if it does or doesn't. I'll try switching players to see what happens. If something changes, I'll update this thread.

vdrfan Wrote:Uhm, you've enabled it in Settings->Video->Player ?

Yes, I've enabled EDL in the settings. Unfortunately that didn't do anything. Sad At first I overlooked that setting, but it didn't make a difference...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] EDL (Edit Decision List) and SceneMarker support in XBMC for Mac?0