[LINUX] What kind of hardware for 1080p. + Areca Raid Card
Hi,

I'm currently thinking doing a dedicated NAS with my raid card (Areca ARC-1220) and my 6TB array. But when I think about why I use all this data, it's 90% for media streaming. Now I wonder if I should build directly an HTPC instead.

Currently, my media streaming is in my main computer and I'm using a TVIX 6500 to stream over cat5. It work great, but the GUI is very basic.

If I would like to build something simple that have a PCI-e 16x (8x actually) and low power usage, what would you recommend? I understand using linux build would be easier on the budget + use smaller parts, but I haven't touch linux for 8 years now :p

Also, is XBMC is compatible with Raid Card?

Every help would be appreciated.

Thanks
You do NOT want that many disks in immediate proximity to your viewing area. Do the NAS, stick it in a closet or basement. If you're running Linux, you want an ION based system. Have a read through the threads in this forum, there are plenty of systems that will work fine.
Thanks for the reply.

All my AV gear are already in a closet away from the screen (projector). Building a nas or htpc, both would be at the same place.

I looked for ION, but the lack of PCI-E ruled them out Sad
How about a Drobo for the storage ?

For me, Drobo + ION was the way to go.
Drobo is only 4 disks, and 8 disks solution is... well expensive :p
Also the lack of NAS, slow transfer and noisy fan (I sear the one I got was noisier than my full computer) isn't quite an option.

And I don't really want to start my array again. Backup 4.5Tb of data isn't something easy. (even if I might have to do it if I go to linux....)

Anyway, I'm heading for this system:

ASUS P5N7A-VM mATX LGA775 nForce 730I/GF9300
Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHZ 1066FSB 2MB (Suposed to be as fast as the 7400)
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB 2X1GB
Western Digital Scorpio Blue 2.5IN 160GB 5400RPM
Silverstone Lascala LC10B-E (should have enough space)

Should do the trick with my Areca 1220 Raid card + 7x WD 1tb Green
Well the Drobo isn't fast, but is fast enough to serve media and the most important (for me) is that it scales out of the box. The fan isn't very noisy. Also it is transportable, good to go on vacations Big Grin

I had a 4*1Tb RAID 5 in a Promise Controller with 4 ports but after the space run out I've realized that I was in big trouble.

I totally understand your point, the problem is that when you run out of space the migration will be very painful.

Your configuration seems ok, I will only change the CPU into a QuadCore (2 cores for XBMC, 1 for RAID - not that much expensive) and put 4 (or even 8) Gb of RAM - due to it's low price.

Regards
I don't think I need a Quad Core. My raid card is real hardware, not software like your Promise. (Which give me few option to migrate too, add drive and even link 2 card together to expand to a 16 drives array... A bit too much for now :p)

As strange as it may look with that many hard drive, I try to keep the power consumption low. I have all green drive, the raid card spin them down when not used. It shouldn't be too bad. (the 6300 is 65W TDP)

Thanks for your input, I will order this and cry over my lack of linux skill soon Smile
Take some photos after you have the system assembled Big Grin
yeah really, I'd love to see this rig Smile Sounds awesome!
Catchy Signature Here
should have all the parts next week so.. will post picture in a week or 2.. If I can get everything to works Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] What kind of hardware for 1080p. + Areca Raid Card0