HOW-TO stream a WebCam to XBMC
hiya all

i've been looking to get this working ever since i bought my $10 webcam last night Smile

and here it is

goto http://www.tincam.com/help/setupvideostreaming.php

to download tincan a nice little app designed for very easy setup and video streaming Smile

firstly make sure your network is all running(make sure u can ftp to your xbox first) and u must have access to an .strm file with this inside:

[playlist]
numberofentries=1
file1=mms://192.168.1.1:8080
title1=pc webcam
length1=-1

where 192.168.1.1 is the ip of your pc's ethernet card...

now this is local streaming so go nuts and really boost up the resolution, framerate and audio quality to get some nice streaming...

now to setup tin can is quite easy...

u can run the setup wizard...which has mostly extra stuff like "capturing video to file", "capture picture to file" ..which isnt really what we want ..but u might like to experiment...but u need to select your webcam here

now under the setup menu item..u can adjust almost anything: video and audio compression ..just leave as uncompressed for now and make sure the "record audio" box is checked

under video devices select your webcam and select your audio card (which has a recording feature i hope Smile here u can increase the resolution and compression quality to make it sharper

now under video streaming choose the fastest connection type and unclick the "auto detect" and put you computer's ip address here-------if you use your webcam online..then use auto detect instead

remember your port and ipaddress for later

save your setting by hitting ok

now go back to the main screen and you should see a box of your webcam's output...

not too shabby Smile

go to capture, video-streaming or ctrl+v ...this will start your stream to whoever want to view it

now in an .strm file paste this:

[playlist]
numberofentries=1
file1=mms://192.168.1.1:8080
title1=pc webcam
length1=-1

the stream will be about 5 seconds behind ..but thats cool

if u manage to not get a stream then u are doing something wrong..like u have your firewall up on port 8080 or sumfin

so far i have found not 1 video program which will look up that url...however u already have the box in tin can ..so it dont matter that much

thanks for reading my ramblings...this post could have been a lot shorter..but there we are...

peace out

[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
thanks for the guide.
moving it to the "uides" forum. Smile
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
hiya all

i only put in one program for streaming a webcam ...so if any1 else has an app that can do the job...please let me know...

i mention this because tincam has a 30 trial day on it only...so if there was a freeware app that does mms:// lines and no java/javascript/flash ..then please let me know so that i can put it up on xbox-scene

thanks
Smile 
the delay is some 10-15 seconds on this setup you supplied.

is this tincams issue or just the method of streaming ?

i am @ 10 mb full duplex on the xbox / pc

using relax tho Huh

seeya

j
the delay is caused by buffering.
xbmc has buffering, u can adjust it from settings-general-cache.
maybe tincam has also some buffering going on.
lowering buffer sizes reduces delay but can also give unstability.
Asus P5N7A-VM|Win7 32bit|Intel C2D E8400|2GB|integrated nVidia 9300-HDMI|Integrated Audio-Optical SPDIF| 50" plasma 3DTV (Samsung PS50C7705)
I've been trying to make a .strm file to stream from the internet to my XBMC but I'm not getting anywhere.

Could anyone try to make it work with this stream:

http://109.109.95.20:81

I am just using this link for a test, I am hoping to get some of the live streams from http://www.teamliquid.net/sc2/ to work on my XBMC so I can watch live Starcraft 2 games.
WebCam Monitor will work better for you. This motion detection software supports up to 4 webcams simultaneously. Every feature you can think of, motion detection, continuous recording, periodic snapshots, email alerts, and more are easily configured.
Hello

Do i need to buy a media box for my tv in order to run XBMC?

If i simply downloaded the XBMC software on my android tablet and then chrome casted it to my TV will that work
or if chromecast is not supported is there another way to get it working on my TV such as cable?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO stream a WebCam to XBMC1