• 10(current)
[MAC] HOW-TO setup Logitech Harmony Remote for use with XBMC for Mac OS X
I can't get this to work.

XBMC Dharma RC1
2010 i7 MacBook Pro
Harmony 880
using the Plex Player in the Harmony s/w
Apple Remote setting is set to Multi Remote (Harmony) in XBMC
Downloaded Keymap.xml the original poster listed on page 1 of this thread. Put it at: userdata/keymaps/Keymap.xml

I am not getting any response at all from XBMC from any button presses.

What step did I miss?

**Edit** I also tried renaming Keymap.xml to remote.xml. Did not work. XBMC.log shows nothing related to remote control working or not working.

**Edit 2** A reboot fixed the issue. Thanks.
Now that I have this working, how can I make it more responsive? Every button press on the Harmony 880 results in about a 1/2 second delay to XBMC responding.
you can reduce the delay between keys using the Harmony software. I believe it's in the troubleshooting section.

MacMini 2.3gHz i7, OS X 10.13.6
Running Kodi 18.9
jpf55 Wrote:you can reduce the delay between keys using the Harmony software. I believe it's in the troubleshooting section.

I already have it set to 0ms on the Harmony, so I don't think that's the issue. I think it is an issue with the XBMC software and the time it takes to translate the IR commands it receives from the Harmony (or any remote) to what is defined in remote.xml. I say this because when I set up the Harmony to work as the basic 'Apple' remote, XBMC responds quickly and crisply.
acribb Wrote:I already have it set to 0ms on the Harmony, so I don't think that's the issue. I think it is an issue with the XBMC software and the time it takes to translate the IR commands it receives from the Harmony (or any remote) to what is defined in remote.xml. I say this because when I set up the Harmony to work as the basic 'Apple' remote, XBMC responds quickly and crisply.

No, It's not xbmc, it's definitely the harmony. As proof, try the actual AppleRemote, you'll see that its a lot more responsive. Also, the Harmony software should not have let you enter a value less than the minimum, which in this case, I think is 300ms.

Running Kodi 18.9
jpf55 Wrote:No, It's not xbmc, it's definitely the harmony. As proof, try the actual AppleRemote, you'll see that its a lot more responsive. Also, the Harmony software should not have let you enter a value less than the minimum, which in this case, I think is 300ms.

It is set to 0ms, at least thats what the Harmony software says. Are you using a Harmony remote and OSX Dharma RC1? What are your settings in the harmony software?
acribb Wrote:It is set to 0ms, at least thats what the Harmony software says. Are you using a Harmony remote and OSX Dharma RC1? What are your settings in the harmony software?
Sorry, you are correct with your zero value, I was thinking of the another delay.
My AppleTV is set to 0 while my SharpTV is set to 100.
Also, I don't use the Plex setup on my Mac, I use the keyboard commands, not the Harmony. I only use the Harmony with my HomeTheater system which includes the AppleTV.

Running Kodi 18.9
I just changed from plex to XMBC, using a 2009 Mac Mini and a Logitech Harmony One. Everything seems to be working fine, apart from one important detail.

The Mac is running 24/7 and I use two different actions on the Harmony to either activate just the TV to work on it, or to activate Plex/XMBC to watch media. Activating XMBC and Plex both work fine. The problem is exiting XMBC. With Plex it always exited back to OS X and everything was fine. With XMBC it not only exits XMBC but also tries to shut down the Mac. Is there any way that I can change the default behaviour from Shutdown to Exit? The Exit-Command itself just opens the selection dialog, and I couldn't find any other command that seems to fit.
Can someone please tell me where to fins XBMChelper? I've been searching for it for hours but I only find dead links.
I believe it is built into Dharma, version 10 of XBMC

Running Kodi 18.9
jpf55 Wrote:I believe it is built into Dharma, version 10 of XBMC

So then I have to find out why it's not working Smile

I have placed the Keymap-file in the right directory but I still can't choose Harmony instead of the apple remote.
Post deleted.
MaestroDD Wrote:Just checked Harmony and keyboard mapping and, indeed, 'f' maps to FastForward, while FF on harmony is mapped to BigStepForward (which might default to 30 seconds).
So what you see is at least consistent with what is mapped.

To customize it, just copy the harmony keymap.xml into your keymaps folder (~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/keymaps/) and modify it as you like.

Ofc, changing the defaults is also an option.

@ctawn, what do you think?

Hi there

Two years after these earlier posts helping out some members with getting the FF and RW buttons properly mapped, I'm having the same problem. This is despite it apparently being fixed in newer versions of XBMC (which I have, considering the time since these original posts were made).

I've posted on this issue here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post730361 but have had no luck with responses - perhaps someone who reads this may be able to assist me? As mentioned I am new to this, so am not sure if I'm looking in all the right places to solve the problem.

Many thanks!
jonathan18 Wrote:Hi there

Two years after these earlier posts helping out some members with getting the FF and RW buttons properly mapped, I'm having the same problem. This is despite it apparently being fixed in newer versions of XBMC (which I have, considering the time since these original posts were made).

I've posted on this issue here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post730361 but have had no luck with responses - perhaps someone who reads this may be able to assist me? As mentioned I am new to this, so am not sure if I'm looking in all the right places to solve the problem.

Many thanks!
If I were you, I would backup everything and the do a fresh install just to be sure.

Also you might want to check which appleTV you are using in you Harmony setup(there are at least 2 different AppleTVs in their devices list and one of them has fewer commands): on my Harmony, Left and Right keys do a SmalStepFoward and Backwards while the FastForward and Rewind keys do just what they are supposed to.
and by the way, I do not use any additional keymap file

Check this post for more details: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=470...stcount=82

Running Kodi 18.9
Thanks for your reply.

jpf55 Wrote:If I were you, I would backup everything and the do a fresh install just to be sure.

Do you mean of XBMC and/or the relevant devices and/or activities on the Harmony?

jpf55 Wrote:Also you might want to check which appleTV you are using in you Harmony setup(there are at least 2 different AppleTVs in their devices list and one of them has fewer commands): on my Harmony, Left and Right keys do a SmalStepFoward and Backwards while the FastForward and Rewind keys do just what they are supposed to.
and by the way, I do not use any additional keymap file

Check this post for more details: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=470...stcount=82

Mine's a Mac Mini rather than an Apple TV, so I wonder if the controls etc are different? I've installed the Plex Player device as per this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=379003&postcount=1 - as mentioned, everything but the FF/RW buttons are working fine. I'm sure someone out there knows exactly where my problem lies!

Cheers
Jonathan
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] HOW-TO setup Logitech Harmony Remote for use with XBMC for Mac OS X1