Select Multiple Sources Quickly?
When adding sources is there any way to add many quickly ? Using the contect menu I can only add one folder (EG one almun from my music folder). I have tried holding down control and shift as you would be able to in a windows enviroment and there is no ' select all' option.

Done search forum wiki etc etc but notthing found ?

Any tips

Cheers
Ok here is my structure for music

D:
D:/My Music
D:/My Music/Album 'X' (contains individual mp3's and folder.jpeg)

{circa 300 example of floder 'X')

When I select Music in the Home Screen I am only able to to add source which point sto My Music which I then have to click to display Album 'X' (all 300 of em)

What I want is that when I select Music in the home screen I dont have to select another source, as my setup is quite simple and all music is stored locally in one location.

Have just sat thro wiki and forum searches for 4 hours and about to loose the plot !!! The only way I can see is to set 300 individual sources in the Music section which will take chuffing hours.

Tried to edit sources xml to point a layer one ( IE to show the folders contained in My Music) but all to no avail. Surely I dont have to add 300 odd individual sources using the context menu which only allows one-at-a-time do IHuhHuh

By the way I am not using library mode as I dont see that I need to I just like it simple which is why I have moved over from mMedia Portal.

Log file link http://http://pastebin.com/m67a1f13a

Save me guys and try n help
Just add D:\My Music as a source (context menu -> add source -> browse -> d:\my music -> ok -> ok)

Done.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

when it's on the "..." at the top, select "ok"

eg: you select "D:\My Music". You then have:
album a
album b
album c
etc.

Just hit ok.
well u both suggest that same thing so thats positive, yet thats what (I think) I have been doing and it just shows teh source as my music and not the individual albums.

will try again and report back thanks for help
Nope !!

Did exactly as you both said and all i get is the my music folder which i then need to click again to see the individual files.

When I follow your steps and select the "" at the top it reports 300 odd folders so it looks like it gunna add them but only adds the top level folder of my music. I know it skinda lazy but it would be sooo sweet if i could remove this step.

I will tollerate it if the option is to manually add each album folder that is within the my music one its just odd that I can add one of the album folders to appear in the music sources or one folder being the root and not all folders.

Im no good with xml but can get some of the basics, how wud i edit the sources xml to point it at leve under the root of my music or am I missing someat ??
You seem to be rather confused.

When you add a source of music, all it does is adds that folder so you can browse it. eg if you add D:\My Music\ then when you click on "Music" from the PM3.HD homepage, it'll present you a list, of which D:\My Music\ is one of 'em.

Clicking on that will give you your 300 albums or whatever. This is file mode.

If you want it to go directly into D:\My Music, then context menu on that item and select "Set Default".

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the reply I will try the set as default when home but Im sure I didi this last night and it didnt yield the results I wanted.

The explanation of the sources makes sence, thanks. I guess what I m really after is that by selecting a source you display its contents immediatley and not merely an icon of the source you want.

As per some of the earlier posts I have come over from Media Portal as it was too complicated for what I wanted and XBMC seems almost there. I am trying to make my HTPC and such XBMC as wife a child frienldy as poss hence why Id like to be able to assign a source to Music yet when I select music it shows the contents on the source and not the root which you then need to further select.

Surely I am not the only user that would like this simplicity of having one source and one source only, which makes the option of displaying multiple sources needless (as per my current install). Perhaps I am as my endless searching has not revealed any similar posts !!

This aside, am I correct in ' toying ' with the source.xml to try and resolve this as it doesnt look like its an option in the software at the mo and I doubt very much it justifies a features request.

Once again thanks for all the help provided
Smile 
well now im confused!!!!

Try what you suggested about setting as default, tested and still the same (clicking music showed the my music folder and not its contents).

Messed around tried it again (with a slight twist - see below - ) and hey presto it does it Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Now the twist :

I use a wireless keyboard for my HTPC and usually when I have browsed a folder (IE played track 4 from album X) I use the back space button which returns me to the folder showing all the 300 folders and back space again which takes me to the my music folder (old Media Portal habit I guess). When I next click Music It displays the dreaded My Music folder and not its contents (see 1st post).

The twist was that I pressed ' esc when finished in Album X and it took me to the home screen (bonus - 1 click saved) yet when I re vist the Music folder I now see all the 300 folders HurrahBig GrinBig Grin

I guess that using backspace in XBMC is akin to using it in windows exploer IE back (up) a level and not back a step. Whatever it is it appears that using esc as opposed to back space preserves the view in each item from the home screen.

To be honest Im curious for an explanation but dont really care as its doin exactly as I want...many many thanks all.

Right now a search for a list of what the keyboard does in xbmc and then maybe get that harmony 555 out of the draw and set it up

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Select Multiple Sources Quickly?0