[AppleTV] AVI files crashing with status 4
Hello - I am trying to play AVI files that my canon camera creates and every file I attempt to play crashes XBMC with a status of 4. I am able to successfully play these files on my PC. I am using the most recent build of XBMC and streaming wired from an XP machine via SMB.

Here is my debug log: http://pastebin.ca/1515162

As I said this is occurring with AVI I attempt to play (the one that I tried to play in the log is a one second AVI that I would be happy to send out). Also, I tried to change the extension to MOV and stream it just in case and I was able to get sound but no video through XBMC then it crashed - that is not in the above error log.

Any suggestions/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
A quick update on this. I downloaded Gspot and ran my AVI files through it and discovered the files are MJPG (motion JPEG files). I did a search through the forum on this and discovered a couple threads from a few years ago discussing support of these files, but I could not determine if it was ever decided to support.

Thoughts? Should I be converting these to something else? Is there a codec I can load?

Thanks.
I have the cannon avi's that won't play and give me the exact same error you get. Any fix?
The best fix I could come up with for this was to use Handbrake and convert the files to the Apple TV preset (make sure you grab the latest svn because the current stable version has a bug when converting AVIs). This creates the files as an M4V. I then change the extension to MP4 and they work fine when playing through XBMC. That's the best I can come up with. Let me know if you find anything that works better.
Alot of cameras are now doing Motion Jpeg.

Maybe it is time for XBMC to support it?

Automating the conversion, like it does with others?

If it isn't going to be supported, then this condition should be error-checked, a message displayed when attempted, not just a crash

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] AVI files crashing with status 40