Best format to store Movies in?
Star 
I'm building a 16TB NAS to store all my videos. I plan on updating my collection to all HD and I'm trying to decide the best format to store them in.

I'm thinking the best mix of size/quality would be h264 (MKV container), 1080p, 24fps with either DS 5.1 or DTS 5.1 sound, encoded to around 10-15GB depending on the length of the movie. Some files may end up being larger because of Dolby TrueHD sound I guess.

Anyone agree with this or think I should consider WMV-VC1 instead? Or any other issues with these formats that I haven't considered? Thanks.
I'd say that's a pretty good goal. I'd skip the WMV-VC1 stuff, since h264 seems to be the more "open" of the two. I just don't like trusting Microsoft with a proprietary format, which, as far as I know, VC1 is. 16TB is huge and at even 10-15GB per movie you'll have plenty of space and then some, and with bitrates that high you'll be sure to preserve the quality of the source material (which I'm assuming is Blu-Ray).
Unless you have a shitload of movies which will max out the 16 tb at 10/16 gb per movie, I would start by storing the complete backup of the Blu-ray and not bother with transcoding until space is needed. You never know what comes along in the mean time
I also have a 16tb file server and I will only store movies at 1080p DTS. These range from 6gb - 12gb per film.
Star 
I have almost 800 movies and growing, so storing Blu Ray uncompressed is pretty much out of the question. As an open standard, I think h264 makes the best archival format, especially given that higher levels (ex: Level 5.1) can scale the resolution up to 4k levels. Though I think when source material is released in that format, storage prices will be a lot lower than they are today and I'll have to build a new NAS. 96TB anyone? Smile
turborhino Wrote:I have almost 800 movies and growing, so storing Blu Ray uncompressed is pretty much out of the question. As an open standard, I think h264 makes the best archival format, especially given that higher levels (ex: Level 5.1) can scale the resolution up to 4k levels. Though I think when source material is released in that format, storage prices will be a lot lower than they are today and I'll have to build a new NAS. 96TB anyone? Smile

LOL think your electric bill for that would cost more than the storage system would be worth lol.

"How many raid cards did you say sir?"
Nonsense! Smile The secret is to buy 4 of these, then buy 32 of these throw them in a 42U rack, cool it with a rack A/C powered by a geothermal system, and revel in the awesome power of 100TB storage array. Figure about $15k total for everything, including network switches. A custom designed storage array might work out even better if you could get the cooling down.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best format to store Movies in?0