problem with wireless network. HELP!!!
I have a 3 xbox network in my home and it works perfectly! (THANKS)

I just gave my brother in law a modded xbox, set up just like mine.
we plugged it in to his wireless router and got the news headlines scrolling across the bottom. I thought 'Cool it worked'.

But when i get on his computer, share a folder on the network, the xbox gives me an error message when I click on add source/windows SMB...

It has all ways worked on my computer....

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Please read stickies on how to post a problem in a useful manner.

Thanks.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hmmmm.... yep - gonna need more info than that..... Huh
heres some more info about my set up,

3 softmodded xboxs with the latest t3ch build, 8-1-09 i think.

windows xp, all hard wired. I have media on my computer that I can access from any of my xboxs. I dont know exactly what that process is called, SMB i think. I share a folder on my computer and then from my xbox, i go to add source, windows SMB, and there is my shared folder.

my brother in laws setup is the same, except his computer (XP) is wireless. But his softmodded xbox is hard wired into the router. I can get the xbox to play the internet radio, youtube, and other pluggins, but i cant get it to access any shared folders on the network.

Any info I am forgetting, please just ask.

help would be greatly appreciated.
to set up a network you usually need some network knowledge, like:
1)check the machine's ip addresses,
then ping one from the other, until that works.
2)Then set up a windows (smb/cifs) share with access rights. Then try to access it from other machine's, pcs or xboxes does not matter.
3)The fact that one(or all) of the machines is connected wirellessly does not make any difference...unless you have a very very cheap wireless router which keeps wireless machines separated from the hard-wired. That's possible, but more a bug than a feature...so I bet your problem is in 1 or 2.
Confirm the router, wireless computer and xbox are all in the same domain.
t3ch hasent released a build since 6-27-09.. make sure the source you got them from is creditable and they arent bad builds..
rickx Wrote:2)Then set up a windows (smb/cifs) share with access rights. Then try to access it from other machine's, pcs or xboxes does not matter.

How do i do this?

On my comp running xp, i right click a folder, click share on network, and there it is!

how do i adjust these 'access rights'?

i understand that with a wireless network you need more security, but I dont know how to adjust.

The xbox IS connected to the net cause I can get shoutcast and other plugins to work.
If you have Simple File Sharing mode enabled (and you do by default), then the console should have access so long as your Guest account is enabled. Depending on what service pack you're running, you may have to manually create an exception for the relevant ports in the Windows Firewall.

Security for a wireless network mostly consists of making sure no one can access your LAN at all. This is typically done by setting up a WPA2 key on your router to encrypt your transferred data (you'll need to read it's manual for instructions). You can also throw in MAC filtering for a little extra security, too.

Standard WPA and WEP are two other forms of encryption your router might support, however, these are not too difficult for any local crackers to bypass.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problem with wireless network. HELP!!!0