/etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist, yet X does work
Hi all,

Installed XBMC onto a USB drive using unetbootin and it boots and operates just fine on my monitor using a VGA cable. I want to use it on my (SD)TV though, so I went to the video options and set the screen resolution to 4:3 which looked weird on my monitor, but did work. However when I plug into the TV using a SCART cable all I get when XBMC starts up is moving vertical lines, like it's raining on my TV. The BIOS and safe mode work fine, so I figured this was an xserver issue, bad config or something, so I went to edit the xorg.conf file, but it wasn't there! I did an "sudo dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", but that didn't create the file either!

So my question is, where is the X configuration on XBMC Live?

Once I know that I can hopefully mount the USB drive & rootfs.img read/write and make the changes required, which I'm hoping is simply:
Option "TVOutFormat" "SCART"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-I"

For reference I've got an Intel graphics chipset and live in the UK.
I decided to grab my Ubuntu Live CD and try mounting the rootfs.img anyway and do a search. For those curious, the command I used was:
Code:
mkdir ~/Desktop/rootfs
sudo mount -o loop /media/XBMCLIVE_51/rootfs.img ~/Desktop/rootfs/
where /media/XBMCLIVE_51 is the location of the XBMC Live USB drive

Did a search for xorg.conf and found only three results:
- /usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
- /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
- /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.roster

none of which contain anything like an xorg.conf file.

So I'm left guessing that when XBMC runs, it generates the xorg.conf on the fly based on the hardware (which makes sense), however it must save the configuration somewhere, even if it's only temporary.

So, same question, but slightly different, where does XBMC save it's generated xorg.conf, if that is indeed how it works?
Really confused now. Just loaded up my XBMC Live USB in normal mode on my monitor, dropped to the command prompt (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and did:
Code:
find / -name "xorg.conf"
Which (other than a load of "permission denied"s) returned nothing. Nada, zilch, zero.

Very, very confused. How the hell does the Live CD run X without a configuration file? Does it even run X? Have I missed something blindingly obvious? Am I completely and utterly mad?
Xorg isn't dependent on the existance of a xorg.conf anymore. If there is none, it runs with best-guess-settings. If it exists, it would be in /etc/X11.

/Daniel
Thank-you Daniel, do you know of any way to save the current X configuration into a file?
Vitani Wrote:Thank-you Daniel, do you know of any way to save the current X configuration into a file?

No. If anybody else knows, I would be glad. Would be nice to be able to alter the configuration. If it doesn't even exist, it means starting from scratch Oo

/Daniel
Ok. Done some googling. Haven't tried this myself yet, but the new method for configuring /etc/X11/xorg.conf is by running as root in any console login screen without X running:
Code:
Xorg -configure

/Daniel
Daniel Malmgren Wrote:Ok. Done some googling. Haven't tried this myself yet, but the new method for configuring /etc/X11/xorg.conf is by running as root in any console login screen without X running:
Code:
Xorg -configure

/Daniel

Yeah that should work. Then copy the xorg.conf.new file to /etc/X11

cheers.
That does work. I'm struggling to save the file somewhere, but just to help others, I had to Ctrl+Alt+F2, log in, and then execute
Code:
sudo init 1
to stop X in order to run the configuration.

Edit: If anyone knows of a better way to stop X, please let me know as this way does not alway work.
Stop you display manager with the init script.
More specifically: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I wasn't going to make any assumptions Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
/etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist, yet X does work0