[CONCEPT] Concrete
Feanor Wrote:Yes, I thought so... that's too bad, I played around a little with the aspect ratio of the font, but being this a skin so based around texts, it really gives it a weird look.
Anyone knows of a software to alter the kerning directly on the ttf?
There are quite a few font creation applications out there.

High-Logic FontCreator
I recently tried this one and it seems okay. I havent tried changing any kerning setting though.

http://ilovetypography.com/2007/10/22/so...nt-part-1/
I've used FontCreator to mod my fonts too. Works good. Modding the kerning for an entire fontset is quite the task though Smile

That said, font kerning in the skinning engine would be useful. I might make a ticket for it as I could use it in places too.
Jeroen Wrote:That said, font kerning in the skinning engine would be useful. I might make a ticket for it as I could use it in places too.
If it were in the XBMC engine it would allow for a lot more flexibility than just having to edit fonts all the time.
Really nice concept! I love the grayish background with the colored text. Keep up the good work!
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I played around a bit with the listview and made a working copy(apart from the menu under "MOVIES", and some texture differences). Some issues.. The Title field is way to short for any movie with a longer name. It looks quite ugly to have it scrolling, so I made the field cover the rest to the left, which makes the place for the cover very small.
Another issue is with the genre field, movies rarely have only one type of genre to them so that field also scrolls.

And to the final issue, the rendering of fonts that are tilted are quite ugly. Straight blocky fonts become comic sans. And moves a bit "squiggly".

Navigation wise I can not see any problem though, this is apparently just a tilt of 11 degrees and that felt totally ok.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
Wow, this is a really nice and fresh looking skin - hope you come up with it soon!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
watzen Wrote:And to the final issue, the rendering of fonts that are tilted are quite ugly. Straight blocky fonts become comic sans. And moves a bit "squiggly".

Navigation wise I can not see any problem though, this is apparently just a tilt of 11 degrees and that felt totally ok.
I wonder if you could post a screenshot so we can see just how bad the fonts render tilted?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:I wonder if you could post a screenshot so we can see just how bad the fonts render tilted?

sure... gimme a couple of seconds.. hmm can't access the latest iteration of what I did. but you'll get the idea.
and as you can see i didn't have access to the same goodlooking concrete texture.
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
watzen Wrote:sure... gimme a couple of seconds.. hmm can't access the latest iteration of what I did. but you'll get the idea.
and as you can see i didn't have access to the same goodlooking concrete texture.

Fark that is some good work! Shocked I bet the OP didnt expect something so fast! yeah the fonts look a little jaggy and so does the line that separates the concrete from the maroon panel.. it looks like some anti-aliasing would fix that right up.. easier said than done im guessing though Smile
Everything I've seen XBMC do on an angle has looked somewhat jagged. It must be something with the engine. It's why I never use the "flow" cover panel views in most skins.
garvani Wrote:it looks like some anti-aliasing would fix that right up.. easier said than done im guessing though Smile

kricker Wrote:Everything I've seen XBMC do on an angle has looked somewhat jagged. It must be something with the engine. It's why I never use the "flow" cover panel views in most skins.
The funny thing is the, and I think I'm right in saying this, the Xbox version does support anti-aliasing.
Hitcher Wrote:The funny thing is the, and I think I'm right in saying this, the Xbox version does support anti-aliasing.

Would forcing anti-aliasing through your graphics driver rectify it? or would that cause other problems? (tearing of video)
I remember a bug in the GUI/video initialization that had FSAA enabled all the time - preventing smooth playback on lower IGPs and GPUs like Ion and others.
I just tried enabling it, and sure it looks better for images, but it didn't help that much for fonts
watzen Wrote:I played around a bit with the listview and made a working copy(apart from the menu under "MOVIES", and some texture differences). Some issues.. The Title field is way to short for any movie with a longer name. It looks quite ugly to have it scrolling, so I made the field cover the rest to the left, which makes the place for the cover very small.
Another issue is with the genre field, movies rarely have only one type of genre to them so that field also scrolls.

The problem with the size of the fields is that I used for the mockups a highly compressed font (kerning-wise), so when I use the same font in XBMC, I have much smaller space... that's why I asked about kerning. I may have to alter the ttf file after all... I was hoping not too Smile

watzen Wrote:And to the final issue, the rendering of fonts that are tilted are quite ugly. Straight blocky fonts become comic sans. And moves a bit "squiggly".

The biggest problem I had was with the antialiasing. First, as you say, when you tilt the fonts, specially in small sizes, they tend to not rotate evenly, so they look like they're dancing. Second, rotated images have very jagged edges, so for now I'm rotating all the images I can in photoshop and then use those...

This is a screenshot of what I have so far... the home page is fully animated and every item has it's own color.

Another thing I couldn't accomplish is to have every item in the wrap list with a different alpha... Mediastream does it by overlaying the background of the menu on top of the list with an alpha applied to it, but that gives you a gradient and I want to have each item individually colored... is that possible?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[CONCEPT] Concrete0